Thread: ?s for the Southeast AK guys (POW/Ketchikan)

Default ?s for the Southeast AK guys (POW/Ketchikan)

I was wondering if it is workable for residents of POW or surrounding areas to do overnight boat hunts on/around the neighboring islands (Zarembo, Etolin, etc.) from a small aluminum boat. A scenario might be: launch a 21’ aluminum boat from Coffman Cove, motor to Zarembo and tie/anchor/beach the boat and camp on the island, doing stalk hunts (for elk) from a shore camp.

If some of you do this, what is the best way to secure the boat while you are not around? I don’t really like the idea of leaving an anchored boat (unattended) so I was wondering if there are areas where it is possible to let a boat settle on the gravel while the tide goes out without damaging the bottom of the boat.

Is it even feasible to elk hunt in this manner? Are there areas close enough to the shore lines where elk frequent so a hunter could hike to them in a day and get back to camp before dark, or must a guy be flown in to access elk populations on these relatively large islands?

I was also wondering if a guy could hunt moose/bear in a similar manner on the islands north of POW (Kupreanof, Kuiu). Or are these islands too far away for a small boat (21’ North River) to manage?

Thank you for taking the time to answer my questions.

Default yes

You can do that. You'll just have to play the weather like every other boat on the water.

As far as anchoring is concerned....build yourself an anchorage bouy. Get some old netting, something stout and fill er up with beach rock and roll it off the stern. Tie off the bow to that and run your regular anchor off the stern. Or run a long line to shore for back up. Watch your tidal fluxuations seriously. I wouldn't hunt Zarembo though.....they shut it down last year because of the reduced population. Etolin seems to be strong and durring the winter they tend to head even further south but you could find em anywhere really. Go for it and have an adventure. Thats what areas like the S. Etolin Island Wilderness are for.

Default big water

Like Bighorse says ... you must work the weather ... Clearance Straight is big water. Sumner Straight is even worse.

Some people take skiff's all over SE ... but during fall hunting seasons ... your guaranteed to have weather.

A few Elk over the years have been taken on or near the beach. But most have probably been inland with several days of packing.

When you travel in SE in fall either by vessel (large or small) or air you really can't be on a tight time schedule.

Quote Originally Posted by muskeg View Post
    When you travel in SE in fall either by vessel (large or small) or air you really can't be on a tight time schedule.
    This is ok with me - fishing and hunting will be my full time job (I'll be retired).

How much hunting pressure does Etolin get for elk? Are the elk and moose permits hard to draw? I noticed that the reg's show draw and registration permits for Unit 3 elk and moose. Are there any moose on Etolin or Zarembo?

Default Every other tree

Ya....don't you know there are bear behind every tree and Moose behind every other! Grin

Default etolin & zarembo

No Moose to speak of on those Islands ... a few are taken on Wrangell or the mainland ... but not many.

Elk draw ... not hard .... I have been putting in ever since the draw started and not drawn yet ... seems like about 10 years.

But now that the draw is not very popular ... because it's such a hard hunt and success is way way low ... I'll probably draw.

Quote Originally Posted by muskeg View Post
    No Moose to speak of on those Islands ... a few are taken on Wrangell or the mainland ... but not many.

Elk draw ... not hard .... I have been putting in ever since the draw started and not drawn yet ... seems like about 10 years.

But now that the draw is not very popular ... because it's such a hard hunt and success is way way low ... I'll probably draw.
    I guess I don't understand the registration permit? The reg's show RE325 available from Nov. 15 - Nov. 30. Doesn't that mean you as a resident can go buy a permit for that late season even if you don't draw the earlier season? Or do they shut it down before the season even starts?

Default Etolin reg hunt

Only a few have ever got a registration permit and I don't believe any Elk have ever been killed during that hunt.

Novemeber weather travel to Etolin is a whole lot different than hunting from the road system on POW island.

And days are way short.