Thread: Do you us a Polarizer?

Default Do you us a Polarizer?

I an thinking I want/need a polarized filter. Most of my shots are out doors and even on the water cause what I do. I have enjoyed the many quesions/responces this forum subject brings.

What do you say about any polarizor or not.

George

I usually like the effect of a polarizer. It reduces glare in a lot of situations, and doing that it increases some color saturation. But I don't use one as often as I should. I always carry one though.

Default An ND polarizer would be best...

& I've bought some that fit my non 58mm lenses, & didn't pony up the money to buy some for my 58mm lenses...I should have though, & will go with Bayonet style ND Polarizing filter...hoya or another brand...don't know yet...

I almost always have a circular polarizer on my lenses. I also like to play around with my ND grad filters when needed.
    EricL

Default A must have item for outdoor photography...

I use a polarizer filter the majority of the time when outdoors. Just does wonders for outdoor photography. Helps darken the sky and removes unwanted reflections from water, foliage, etc.. I would encourage you to get a good one though. Especially if you have high quality lenses. Hoya, Helipopan, and B&W are all very good brands. I found some great prices at http://www.2filter.com/ I personally have the Hoya Pro 1 dmc and love it. Very high quality filter. Several other good ones out there for sure, but consider yourself warned against cheap filters.

Below are a few images from Jamaica that benefited from the use of a CP.

The two loudest sounds known to man: a gun that goes bang when it is supposed to go click and a gun that goes click when it is supposed to go bang.

Default ND graduated filters...

Eric brought it up and I wanted to add briefly to this.

Aside from my CP, my second most useful filter is my Galen Rowell Singh Ray graduated 3 stop filter. Below are two images taken seconds apart from a beach here on Nantucket. One with the grad ND and one without. The difference is obvious.

The two loudest sounds known to man: a gun that goes bang when it is supposed to go click and a gun that goes click when it is supposed to go bang.

Default Definitely

Great advice Dan! With the advent of digital and Adoby Photoshop the majority of the filters became obsolete. The one however that is extremely tough to replicate in any other way is the Polorizer. You can get a little bit of the effect though software, but not alot. The graduated ND filters can be replicated as well through multiple exposures and post processing blending but if you have a fairly straight horizon line in your image it is fun to play around with the Singh ray filters as well. I have the 2 stop soft and 3 stop hard filters and use them on occasion. If the horizon line is very broken the graduated filters are not of much use without making the image look fake.
    US Air Force - retired and Wildlife photographer

To follow my photography adventures check out my facebook page

Here is a good example of an image that would have been impossible without a polarizer.

US Air Force - retired and Wildlife photographer

To follow my photography adventures check out my facebook page

Nice image Cory.

I want to get some fish images like that. Very nice indeed.