Thread: Carabou in Howard Pass

Default Carabou in Howard Pass

I am looking for any information about how the Caribou hunting is in Howard pass in Mid August. I am considering a bow hunt with my son

Hey, where's Walt. Isn't this his country?
    Howard Pass is a long way from anywhere........Kotz, Bettles, Barrow. Gonna cost plenty to get there, even if your flying your own plane.
    Probably bou in that area off and on all summer. More than likely you will find some there. Likely to be a warm buggy place tho. Sept. 1 would be better. Unit 23 is 1 bou bag limit for non res. Go from Bettles into unit 26 and it's 5.
    Good luck.
    I can't help being a lazy, dumb, weekend warrior.......I have a JOB!
    I have less friends now!!

Default Howard Pass

It's one hell of a funneling area, and you'd be hard pressed to find a better place to hunt caribou up here. I think your best bet would be to fly out of Bettles, it's about an hour and 45 minutes in a Beaver. Go late August. I'd wish you good luck, but you won't need it.

Default Howard Pass from Kotz

Quote Originally Posted by martentrapper View Post
    Hey, where's Walt. Isn't this his country?
    Howard Pass is a long way from anywhere........Kotz, Bettles, Barrow. Gonna cost plenty to get there, even if your flying your own plane.
    Probably bou in that area off and on all summer. More than likely you will find some there. Likely to be a warm buggy place tho. Sept. 1 would be better. Unit 23 is 1 bou bag limit for non res. Go from Bettles into unit 26 and it's 5.
    Good luck.

MT. Yes your right that this is my country but as said Howard Pass is a great hunting area but it is so far from anywhere that we donít place to many guys up there. It is about 1.5 hrs from Kotz and at $600 and hour well thatís 3 hours fly time. The cost can be too high for most guys. I do place groups up there that can only hunt in late August as that is the best spot for early animals most years. There are also 2-3 other good options in the upper Noatak for early hunters and are closer than Howard Pass.

Check out the following spots, Finiak Lake, Desperation Lake and the upper Anisak River. All 3 are great early and late choices for lots of bulls and you will have the country to yourself to boot!

Unit 23 out of Kotz offers so many great drop and float hunting options and we can tailor a hunt around your needs.

Walt
    Northwest Alaska Back Country Rentals
    33 miles north of the Arctic Circle
    Kotzebue, Alaska

Both Brooks Range Aviation and Bettles Air fly most of thier hunters into the Howard Pass, Upper Noatak, and surrounding areas. Brooks Range is dropping my partner and I in the Howard Pass area this year. Your price for either charter to Howard Pass is going to start around $2200 roundtrip and can go up from thier depending on number of people and some other options.

Brooks Range stated 90-95% success over the past 5-6 year in that area.

Quote Originally Posted by AK Wonderer View Post
    Both Brooks Range Aviation and Bettles Air fly most of thier hunters into the Howard Pass, Upper Noatak, and surrounding areas. Brooks Range is dropping my partner and I in the Howard Pass area this year. Your price for either charter to Howard Pass is going to start around $2200 roundtrip and can go up from thier depending on number of people and some other options.

Brooks Range stated 90-95% success over the past 5-6 year in that area.
    I'm just curious,$2200 per what? Is this per person, per Beaver load, 206 load? If it's per person, how many animals are you allowed?

You can't get anything bigger than a 206 in this area. Floats only my friend. Been there, seen it.

Quote Originally Posted by HunterTom View Post
    You can't get anything bigger than a 206 in this area. Floats only my friend. Been there, seen it.
    You must be talking about a different Howard Pass than the one I'm thinking of. The Howard Pass I know has the Etivluk River flowing out of it(to the north) with several lakes large enough to put a Beaver down on (to the south).

Both Brooks Range Aviation and Bettle's Air have Cessna 185's and a Beaver or two. Some on wheels and some on floats. Bettle's has a 206 on wheels. Most drops are by float plane.

Example of pricing from BRA quote sheet. Two caribou allowed per person.

Area: Howard Pass, Noatak River

Prices: 2 people. $ 2,272. per person. Weight allowed 900# / From Grayling Lake $2,772. per person.
    3 people $ 2,677. per person. Weight allowed 1400# / From Grayling Lake $2,772. per person

Bettle's Air flys by the trip. Example taken from Bettle's Air quote sheet:

The Nigu River is a small fast moving clear water river that flows north into the Etivillik River. Excellent hiking, wildlife viewing, and fishing for grayling, arctic char , and lake trout. Issygok Lake is right at the park boundry so when hunting you need to be aware of where you are. Water is Class I-II. Suitable for canoes or inflatables. The other option would be to just camp at Etivlluk Lake instead of float. Allow 4 to 5 days on the river.
    Drop off at Issygok Lake $2,738.00 Beaver/ $1,540.00 Cessna 185

Pick up at Etivlluk Lake $2,926.00 Beaver ONLY