Thread: WHA ads on this site!!!

Default WHA ads on this site!!!

So I was looking at Mike Strahan's thread on the rafting forum about a Mastadon Tusk and what's under his first post???...an advertisement for the God-awful World Hunter's Association. There's been several lengthy threads on this forum that have shown near unanimous opposition to this canned, competition hunting group, so why in the hell is this site advertising for them now??? What's next PETA ads? I'm sure I'm not the only one that would love to hear an explanation to this one?

Do us all a favor and don't dance with the devil David!!!

Default google

shart I believe the ads put on here are by google and they can not just choose the places google picks to advertise. Google does its best to take info from the thread and post an advertisement there. I think the only way around this would be for members to donate money to keep the site running, and I doubt many would be willing to do this.

just my 2 cents

Its not Dave that does it. Somewhere there's a post from him that explains why advertisements pop up. Its a company that posts advertisements deemed of interest to the forum, anything connected to hunting is going to get posted here with out Dave knowing or condoning the advertisement.

Default on this very thread

As a matter of fact it is advertised on this very thread

Default WHA

Just a thought, if its posted here where we pretty much oppose the very thought of something so stupid, then its not on some other sight where people might actually thinks its cool and "buy" into it and watch it??? So obviously there advertising here is a huge waste of there time...
    my 2 cents...
    <*)))><

Default that takes the cake

Well, this site is all about the advertising baby!

Sorry David, I won't be associated with the WHA. I don't care what the excuse is. I've had a problem with your policy not to let people complain about the services they recive here, or post about violations by guides and transporters (who happen to advertise here). But this is the last straw. I guess now that they advertise here, nobody is allowed to dis the WHA.

If you can't get all the info you're looking for (ie the good and the bad) you're pretty much getting nothing anyway.

See you around.

Thumbs down saw it too - BAD BAD BAD

I'm sure there is a way to halt it - not like my voice matters, it is his site, but ya know - the WHA is a bad deal - i won't be staying around here if it stays, I made my voice known to the WHA, to thier Now "Ex-sponsers" and I will happily contact the other advertisers on this site about pulling thier support here.

I guess i'm a bit fired up today, but it we can put a man on the moon, then there is way you can remove those sponsers!

Cutter

Default How about this...

Maybe everyone should be charged $50 a year to be part of this site? Then no one would have to put up with ads they don't like. This place doesn't run itself for free! 99% of the Google ads are appropriate and accepted. Just because the WHA decided to take advantage of their advertising doesn't mean ODD did anything wrong! There may be a quick way to keep their particular ads off the site, I don't know. Give David a chance to fix it!

Man, some of you guys are sure quick to call for a lynching!
    AKmud
    http://i78.photobucket.com/albums/j96/AKmud/213700RMK1-1.jpg

The porcupine is a peacful animal yet God still thought it necessary to give him quills....

Default Hunting?

So I sit here thinking were bashing some one for hunting on a game farm, or they are a bow hunter or they use a spear or what ever they want in pursuit of what ever they want how ever they want. Have you seen the odds in drawing special tags? Some will never draw in there life time! So I'm gonna tell them thats BS and it is not fare chase.
    Hey were all hunters/harvesters of our own choice and or means. With so many non-hunters (and we know the groups well) wanting us to buy there store bought, trully slaughtered groceries. Why should we tell some one what to do? were no bettter than the NON group if we do!

Hunters/Harvester's better get it together and stick together. Or I'll se ya at the grocery!

Louie

AK Louie...Shooting an animal with a tranquilizer dart in some form of bizarre penis measuring ritual is neither hunting NOR harvesting.....
    “Life has become immeasurably better since I have been forced to stop taking it seriously.” ― H.S.T.
    "Character is how you treat those who can do nothing for you."

Default Hold on...

Have spoken with David about this in the past. I think in this case he can block this url from the google adverts. At least I hope he can. Give him some time, like AKmud advised. Please let us know how it pans out, David, and thanks.

Mark

Default Advertiser selection

I took a look at the World Hunting Association website today by looking them up on Google. I agree that it doesn't fit our community.

We have some limited abilities to ban advertisers with our Google AdSense account. I used one of my bullets on this one. It will take some hours for this to take effect, so I'll check back later today to see if it did.

There are two types of ads in the OutdoorsDirectory forums; our own local ads (234 x 60 ads in some of the forums headlines), and the Google ads which show up in the body of the threads. The Google ads are both text and image. As was pointed out earlier in this thread, they are served based on thread content, but also based on what is available in the "ad inventory" for a given day or even part of a day. We don't have any real control other than that limited ability to block specific advertisers.

Our partnership with local and national advertisers has been an important part of keeping the website going. But there's a limit.

Interesting thought on providing an ad free forum experience for paying members. I'll check to see if we could implement that. If we could combine that benefit with some other benefits, perhaps we could develop a package that people would buy.

David

Default Keep Chewing

I'am sure we will never all agreee on any thing, but at least we can talk about it. Thanks to are soldiers and this sight
    louie

Bethel, Cantwell, Fort Yukon, Skagway, Chevak and Point Hope

Well then use some more of your Bullets to get rid of the FleaBay advertising.

Default Advertisers get charged on clicks

Most Adds from like Yahoo and Google have programs where when you are the business, and someone clicks on your ad, then the business gets charged a certain amount. You can bid as a business for more exposure by just raising the amounts you are willing to pay for each click on your sight. So if you want to make a statement to an adverstiser, just click on his sight, and Google will charge him a fee for the hit.
    If enough people just hit on this sight over and over again, they are not getting any real customers, but their adverstising cost are sky rocketing.
    some sights pay as much as a $1.00 per each time they are hit, but as low as a dime. so 100 hits could cost this bad company a 100 bucks or more.. just a thought..
    If enough of us hit the ad, and then just click out and hit the ad again and we all do that everytime we see it it will just take a moment for the charges to start to add up, and we may even be able to break this bad company from this form of advertising.
    Max
    When you come to a fork in the trail, take it!

Rentals for Canoes, Kayaks, Rafts, boats serving the Kenai canoe trail system and the Kenai river for over 15 years. www.alaskacanoetrips.com

Red face

LOL, I like the way you think. It is after all easier and less time consuming to ignore them. I personally don't like or pay any attention to ads on the sight. I come here to hopefully learn something, share some and maybe stir the pot when I get bored. I'll never get bored enough to click on any adds over and over.

Cool I checked WHA advertising

And yes they are bidding for the Hit. Everytime you click their sight from either Google or Yahoo, they pay for the Hit. you don't have to scan the sight or stay on it for even a moment, just long enough for your hit to register that you went there. I banged them last night about 20 times.
    I noticed that when you search for World Hunting Association in your search engine, that they come up at #1 on Yahoo and #2 on google on the advertisers bar, that is above the unpaid searchs that are numbered below.
    this means they are paying to be hit..
    I have used this service before, and you bid on your spot. if you want to be listed higher it costs you more. So just click on the sight long enough for the http to register and then click off. you just cost them for your unfriendly visit..
    Max
    When you come to a fork in the trail, take it!

Rentals for Canoes, Kayaks, Rafts, boats serving the Kenai canoe trail system and the Kenai river for over 15 years. www.alaskacanoetrips.com