Thread: 6.5-06 advice

Default 6.5-06 advice

Anyone out there loaded for a 6.5-06? I have a #1 action I am thinking about barreling in that caliber. Any advice or opinions would be appretiated. Thanks!

Quote Originally Posted by aknewbie View Post
    Anyone out there loaded for a 6.5-06? I have a #1 action I am thinking about barreling in that caliber. Any advice or opinions would be appretiated. Thanks!
    It's a favorite caliber for several of my friends. I like it for it's capacity to handle bullets heavier than a 25-06 or 270, kind of a variation on the 280 in my mind. And that's a compliment. If I had a house full of .264 bullets rather than .284, I'd go that route in a heartbeat. It's a good round.

You got me curious. How does a 264/06 handle heavier bullets better than a 277/06? Were rebarreling so we can get any twist we want with either one.

Default .277

Quote Originally Posted by rbuck351 View Post
    You got me curious. How does a 264/06 handle heavier bullets better than a 277/06? Were rebarreling so we can get any twist we want with either one.
    You have more bullets available in .264 cal in the 160gr weight class than the .277 cal. However All I load in my 270 Wby is 160gr Partitions. Thats a short answer, we could also get into stuff like that the 6.5 or .264's have higher BC's and SD for a given weight. However for the practical ranges that I shoot at (take game) I would prolly' never see a real benifit from either. So stepping down in caliber to go up in BC and SD is often times a mute point.

Having said all that. And if your going to rebarrel the gun anyway.... Go For It! I'm sure you'll love it.

Jake

I love it. I've owned several and have a expensive custom in the caliber.

It will do everything the 25-06 and 270 will do. I have said that the 25-06 and the 270 are a waste of brass, the 6.5-06 is the real rifle. It is the original 256 Newton, his were named by bore diameter not groove diameter, in the English tradition.

I load for it and a lot of the date in the Sierra manual was originally developed by me. They did reject some of my loads and reshot everything but I sent it to them.

Bullet availability is better than the other two and match designs abound for the .264" diameter bullet.

A well rounded hunting battery would be the 6.5-06, 30-06, 338-06, this is the good stuff.
    Is there nothing so sacred on this earth that you aren't willing to kill or die for?

Quote Originally Posted by Murphy View Post
    I love it. I've owned several and have a expensive custom in the caliber.

It will do everything the 25-06 and 270 will do. I have said that the 25-06 and the 270 are a waste of brass, the 6.5-06 is the real rifle. It is the original 256 Newton, his were named by bore diameter not groove diameter, in the English tradition.

I load for it and a lot of the date in the Sierra manual was originally developed by me. They did reject some of my loads and reshot everything but I sent it to them.

Bullet availability is better than the other two and match designs abound for the .264" diameter bullet.

A well rounded hunting battery would be the 6.5-06, 30-06, 338-06, this is the good stuff.

Murphy,
    Well im close and of the same thinking- I currently a 30-06, and 35 Whelen, and a friend of mine has a 338-06. I would have one if I didnt already have a boatload of 35 cal stuff laying around (and my K-1a in 35 whelen will NEVER leave my posession). I love the 30-06 case because it has been around forever, and whatever (diameter) bullet you use, there is never any objectionable recoil or muzzle blast and it gets the job done.

My next question would be as to barrel length and twist. I would plan on using 120-140gr bullets mostly, but I really dont care for barrels over 22", and all of my rifles have open sights with quick release scope mounts. So i guess another question would be where to get a barrel from, and can I get a barrel band front sight on it like the factory ruger ones. It is mostly for cosmetic reasons but I think that front sight is really good looking.

New England Custom Gun Masterpiece Banded Front Ramp available at Midway USA