Thread: jet foot in tunnel

Default jet foot in tunnel

I was wondering around craigslist today and there was a wooly AKII for sale. Nice lookin boat too. I noticed that his motor was installed so that the bottom of the jet foot (intake) was low in the tunnel. It was below the mid line and looks like it might be even to the true bottom of the boat hull. I attached the pic but it may become invalid if he kills the listing.
    I have a wooly tunnel boat as well but my intake is set up so it is right at the top of the tunnel. When my OB is all the way down the front lip of the jet foot just presses against the little plastic flap. Who is right? Me or him?

Default Q

Quote Originally Posted by LuJon View Post
    I was wondering around craigslist today and there was a wooly AKII for sale. Nice lookin boat too. I noticed that his motor was installed so that the bottom of the jet foot (intake) was low in the tunnel. It was below the mid line and looks like it might be even to the true bottom of the boat hull. I attached the pic but it may become invalid if he kills the listing.
    I have a wooly tunnel boat as well but my intake is set up so it is right at the top of the tunnel. When my OB is all the way down the front lip of the jet foot just presses against the little plastic flap. Who is right? Me or him?
    LUJON,

My dad is looking for a jet boat and I too saw this on craigs list. Do you have the same set up and if so what do you think. do you know how many GPH and at what MPH the V-Max does for you. and last question what do you think of this price for a 2001. As far as the foot location I would say you are correct for that is where they are typically seen, and not from exsperience.
    thanks for your help

Hard to tell from the photo, but sounds low from your description.
    Your boat setup is correct, there is no pint in having a tunnel if the jet foot is alinged with the bootom of the hull..
    The front lip of the foot should be about even with the top of the tunnel.
    It could have been lowered to reduce cavation because the UHMW looks short? Maybe the motor is not trimmed all the way in or forward?
    Did you get a chance to look at it?
    Or is it a photo from Craigs?
    Sometimes photos can be deceiving, it looks like a dealer has the boat, judging by the other boats in the background, I would think they would know if its right or at least take a better photo.

Lujon you are basically correct. It's hard to tell from the picture but it appears that the motor shown has the optional intake fin kit installed. This makes the foot look lower. According to the manufacturer, the front of the jet foot should be even with the bottom of the boat (tunnel-less boats) or even with the top of the tunnel. Some literature sent from different sources vary by about 1/4 of an inch. The key to getting optimum performance out of a jet is to have the front of the jet foot as close to the dimensions stated above without experiencing cavitation when manuvering. Boat hull design and repair work can alter the efficient flow of the water, some adjustments need to be considered for each individual boat. If you have set your boat to the dimensions listed above and have minor cavitation problems a simple fix is to install the intake fin kit. If cavitation still persists, the motor needs to be lowered. Motors that are set to low rob horsepower and can cause steering problems. If you really need answers www.outboardjets.com is the web site for Speciality Marine, the company that makes most if not all of the jet lower units.

My boat runs good, the only cavitation that I have is due to the impeller being so beat up. One day I will learn not to try and compress gravel.

No I don't have that particular mode. I have the older narrow Wooldridge AK 17.5. The AKII is I think around a foot wider than my boat. I am running a 90 horse merc and it does ok. Both boats have the same style tunnel which is what spawned my question. It sure seems like it would defeat the purpose to have a tunnel with your intake not tucked up in it. I didn't go check this one out and that is just the pic from the advert. As far as the price. It doesn't seem too bad, Wooldridge builds a quality boat. It all depends on how good of shape it is in. I am not the best person to ask, I probably could have waited and got a better deal on a boat than I did. I don't have any regrets though, I figure if I spent my life waiting for the perfect deal I would still be fishing from the bank!

Looking at the motor, it seems like it might not be trimmed all the way forward/down. Maybe they have the pin set back on the bracket, or something like that.