Thread: Knight Island/PWS Bear Hunting

Default Knight Island/PWS Bear Hunting

I looking for some help. A small group of us are getting dropped off at the island in the middle of May for a couple of days. I've been looking for some quality information on the island's bear population and been coming up short. I search through most of the sites previous threads and I have found mentions of deer hunting but no real bear information. This is my first Alaskan hunting trip and just would like some more information on the island in general, such as: Campsites, Areas To Focus On, Etc. I'm not looking for any honey holes or secrets just some bits of information that could be make this trip a little more enjoyable. Thanks,

Default try this.....

Give the Alaska Dept. of Fish and Game a call and ask them about the bear population. They can steer you towards a biologist who will have some info. Snow conditions and no boat may limit your chances for success.

You probably won't find many "campng sites". The terrain on Kight varys from steep to holy S***! That said I would check an arial map and find the flattest area to drop off at. Most likely on the east side around the Marsha bay area or so, or maybe even further south.

I was on Knight Island for a six day in Oct. 03 we got 3 deer off the island. didn't see any bear, but I was looking for brown not black this is why we chose Knight Island because not alot of big bears to deal with. We only hunted one part of the island all the way up to the top of it. So I can't give any numbers. The boat captin that droped us off knew a camp sight in the cove.

Default Thanks

I just want to thank you for the responses so far. The plan is to have a small skiff to cruise the bays. As for a campsite I'm not looking for a developed site just somewhere relatively flat so that I can pitch a tent and not get drowned by the tide. Again thanks for the info.

I was there a couple of years ago after Deer. We spent a whole day looking for any "flat ground" for a tentsite, but I have got to tell you we didn't find any. We ended up camping on the only beach we could find and the tide was coming up to the edge of our tent. Beautiful very steep terrain. We were ther for a week and saw no deer and one Black Bear on a ridge about 3 miles away. Rained the whole time. Still had fun though.

Chugiak, Alaska, United States, United States

if you have a small skiff available id look into some of the larger bays like upper and lower herring bay drier bay bay of isles. for a campsight you might have to get into the woods a little bit but that will help part some of the rain anyway. yes knight island is not much beachy area but if you are going to be there for a few days you will have time to find/ make a campsight. the bigger protected bays will offer glassing or eyeballing from the boat plus you can soak a line as well.

middle of May, be prepared for alot of snow. bring snowshoes especially if not where there are south facing slopes. I hear Whittier has alot of snow this year and if like last year the snow stayed around longer.
    not recently but 8-10 years ago and longer in the fall we saw 3-4 bears in 2 days from our anchored boat...on a salmon stream. bay of isles. spring is obviously different. bears are concentrated in the fall to salmon streams.
    old AKDF&G big book that shows where different species are does not even show that Knight island has bears.
    i would say islands to north of knight ( in the knight island group)might be better for bears BUT NOT NAKED ISLAND AND THE OTHER TWO JUST NORTH OF IT, HAVE NEVER SEEN BEAR SIGN THERE. A FRIEND SAW OLD BEAR SCAT THERE ONCE. IN THE PAST I HUNTED DEER THERE EVERY YEAR BUT HAVE NOT IN PAST 5-6 , HAVE HEARD IT IS CROWDED THESE DAYS. SO MY GUESS IS IF THERE ARE BEARS IN THAT GROUP THEY ARE FEW AND FAR BETWEEN AND WITH DEER HUNTING PRESSURE PROBABLY GET THINNED DOWN REGULARLY.
    RETIRED U.S.A.F. CAPT.; LIFETIME MEMBER NRA; LIFETIME MEMBER ALASKA BOWHUNTER ASSOC.
    MASTER BOWHUNTER EDUCATION INSTRUCTOR; MEMBER UNITED BLOOD TRACKERS; POPE & YOUNG MEASURER

Default Private/Native Corp Land

Anybody have any idea whether there is any private or native lands that I'll have to deal with.

Default native lands

there is alot of it out there! Pretty much the whole island! Some bays are half native and half state. If hunting by boat I think it would be legal, mainly beach hunting. Camping and all that then might need to track down the chugach native corp. I don't have the site. There is a web site I seen before that shows all the islands out there and what is what. Not sure if they patrol and look for violators, never seen that out there.

Quote Originally Posted by jonmzak View Post
    Anybody have any idea whether there is any private or native lands that I'll have to deal with.
    You have a PM...