Thread: Which would you..?

Default Which would you..?

What do you guys think about the Exped down bags with waterblocker?
    Specifically:
    http://www.exped.com/exped/web/exped...E?openframeset

It gets great reviews from what I have read. Would you guys rather have something like this.. or go for more of a quality down with a quality bivy sack??
    Something like a western mountaineering Alpinlite (same temp rating as above bag..)
    http://www.westernmountaineering.com...2&ContentId=28
    coupled with a good quality bivy.

Heres my thoughts, then Id like to hear yours:
    -The exped weighs about 3.5# (some reviews claim 2.8 though).. This is approx .4 to .6# heavier than the Alpinlite with a quality lightweight bivy. I picked out several bivys and checked their weights.. thats where I got my numbers.
    -Alpinlite: made in USA.. nuf said there.
    -I don't like sticking my pad inside the bag.. but i do sometimes like to stick it between the bivy and the bag.
    -Exped has lifetime warranty. Not sure about WM.
    -Exped is cheaper overall than the WM (before bivy even).
    -I am hardly a weight nazi.. half a pound difference I would barely notice until we start talking about 80,90# plus pack weights.
    -Thinking about for use in a floor less tent setup.
    -With a down bag I take the bivy all the time regardless.. fair weather or not. Its Alaska.. we all know about the weather.

Hmm.. what else.. Anyone have other thoughts concerning this?

NO one?? Really? C'mon.

I must be incredibly intelligent.. and thought of everything..
    OR
    .. incredibly stupid and this isn't even a legitimate question/discussion..

Ah well. It was worth it to get my thoughts down in type.

Many people on the board are wary about recommending down combo's. There are many people that swear by them but from all of my research they tend to soak up moisture from the inside and get progressively less insulating of the course of a multi-day trip. I am considering the new MontBel Spiral Down hugger UL bag for ultralight hiking. I will have to take it on some weekend summer alpine trips before I trust it in the sheep hills.

If and when I make the UL down jump I will carry a tarp tent, Bivi, and the bag. There is not down bag that I would trust on it's own in the elements, there is no UL bivi that I would trust without a water proof tarp of some sorts over it.

But then I am playing it super safe with a bomber tent and a synthetic bag.

Quote Originally Posted by LuJon View Post
    Many people on the board are wary about recommending down combo's. There are many people that swear by them but from all of my research they tend to soak up moisture from the inside and get progressively less insulating of the course of a multi-day trip.

If and when I make the UL down jump I will carry a tarp tent, Bivi, and the bag. There is not down bag that I would trust on it's own in the elements, there is no UL bivi that I would trust without a water proof tarp of some sorts over it.

But then I am playing it super safe with a bomber tent and a synthetic bag.
    That makes sense that they would soak it up from the inside.. I hadn't considered that at all.
    Im thinking of this in combo with a teepee style tent/shelter. Something floorless, tough and light.
    I take the bivy everywhere, regardless of what tent and bag I will be in. Just something I have learned to do... Take the bivy, stay warm, stay dry. I have an ok synthetic bag system.. but it's excessively heavy IMO.
    Thanks for the thoughts!

Default Another option...

I would give thought to a high quality, yet very lightweight tent with a floor. I have learned to love my Black Diamond "Guiding Light" tent. A four person tent that weighs 5 lbs. They sell lots of smaller tents of course, and they weigh like 3-4 lbs. Top notch stuff man. Great design and drum tight single wall tents. I can't suggest them high enough.

For bags, I got one a few years back that is the nicest I have owned. It packs down incredibly small and is very lightweight. It comes with a high quality waterproof compression bag as well. It comes in regular and mummy styles. The mummy 20 degree weighs 2 lbs 6 ounces. See below and compare it to the others you are looking at.

http://www.cabelas.com/cabelas/en/te...set=ISO-8859-1
    The two loudest sounds known to man: a gun that goes bang when it is supposed to go click and a gun that goes click when it is supposed to go bang.