Thread: AA#9

Default AA#9

I just made up some handloads using AA#9 for my .454 ! This is the first time I had used this powder and I was surprized at how fine the granules are ! It really measured consistantly ! I was wondering how position sensitive it is as there seemd to be a lot of extra room left in the cases ? Has anyone had much experience with this powder ? Good , bad or unusual ? Kevin

AA#9 is my favorite powder for the 10mm and .357 Sig. It also works very well in magnum pistol loads for .357, 44, and .454, although W296 or H110 remains my favorite for the revolver rounds.

Default ditto Dan's comments...

I've used AA#9 for heavier bullets in 10mm and standard loadings for 357 Sig. It meters very well with a Dillon progressive press. I use W296 for my .44 and .454 loads.

Default thanks guys !

Thanks for the reply ! I ll let you know how my loads shoot !

Default mixed results

I shot the handloads I had made up with mixed results ! The first group of 6 shots fired from a rest at 25 yards 2 distinct groupings one group was 3 shots all cutting a clover leaf in the Xring and 3 shots about 3inches above and to the right of group one distributed along the circumference of a circle about 6inches in diameter the shots were about 1inch apart . The loads were mild as expected and a little smoky there was also a variation in the sound and recoil !! I am certain that the charge weights were consistant and believe that the variation was due to the caparitivly small charge of 22 grains may have been shifting in the case ! the next batch I will try using a lillte pillow stuffing to hold the powder in position ! If I can get this load to cut the x ring consistantly I will be a happy camper ! Kevin

Isnít AA#9 one of the powders that like magnum primers? I have never used it but it sounds like a good candidate. Powders with fine grain have less room between the grains for the primer flame to pass through so less surface area for the flame to act on.

Andy

Default AD

I was using winchester small rifle primers! they have worked well for me in thr past ! the load I was copying used a cci400 primer and a powder charge of 21.6- 24 grains AA#9 and 250 grain swc lead bullet ,the load generates pressure of 23000 . I am not sure if win makes a small rifle magnum primer ?Thanks for your input ! I will keep workingon it !I am going to shoot again tommorow and am going to try loading one cylinder at a time to see if it makes any difference ! thanks Kevin

Quote Originally Posted by KCASEY View Post
    I was using winchester small rifle primers! they have worked well for me in thr past ! the load I was copying used a cci400 primer and a powder charge of 21.6- 24 grains AA#9 and 250 grain swc lead bullet ,the load generates pressure of 23000 . I am not sure if win makes a small rifle magnum primer ?Thanks for your input ! I will keep workingon it !I am going to shoot again tommorow and am going to try loading one cylinder at a time to see if it makes any difference ! thanks Kevin
    Yup 400 is not a mag primer, try the 450 primer and start a bit lower on powder, I bet you get a better outcome. CCI mag primers end with 50 and standard end in 00, and Winchester mag has an ďMĒ at the end. Like you sayWinchester does not seem to have a small rifle mag primers at all for whatever reason. If I had used AA#9 I could help more but as it is playing with primers is my best guess with this powder.

Here is a good chart for CCI primer numbers and what they are for.
    http://www.cci-ammunition.com/produc...imer_chart.htm

This is a cross referance charte.
    http://www.handloads.com/misc/primers.asp

Andy

Default i am stuck wth the primers

I am stuck with the primers I have for now ,nothing is available localy right now ! thanks for your input 1 i willl keep you posted! Kevin

You think it's bad there you should see what it's like here in Alaska. Some of the internet suppliers have small supplies of powder and primers but they canít ship them to Alaska, ground shipping only on hazmat.

I was hoping someone that used AA#9 would chime in with some other advice for you. Maybe over the weekend??
    Andy
    On the web= C-lazy-F.co
    Email= Andy@C-lazy-F.co
    Call/Text 602-315-2406
    Phoenix Arizona

The only times I've used AA#9 are 357SIG (using a CCI 500 primer), and when loading 200grn bullets for 10mm (using a CCI 350 primer). In both applications ignition, burn and cycling was as it should be and nonproblematic. When loading for my hand-cannon (454 Casull), it's W296 using CCI 400 primers, which would be my primer choice if I were trying AA#9 in this beast.

Sorry I can't be of further help Kevin. With loading components being in short supply nationally, I admire you trying to make do with what you have. Good luck to you sir.

Doc

Talking thanks to all

I just wanted to say thanks to all of you who took the time to answer ! I think I am on the verge of a real sweet shooting load for my SRH ! We don't have anything down here that would require any of the heavy duty bear /moose loads you Alaskans need to shoot , so finding a medium power load that is accurate and pleasant to shoot has been a priority for me ! I have also found that a 300grain hornady xtp mag hp bullet pushed by 30 grains of LilGun will penetrate over 18.5 inches lengthways into a pressure treated 4x4 ! so I will keep some of these around just because you never know what you might have to shoot ! Plus they are fun on the indoor range when the boys from the hood are practicing with their .40s !
    Thanks again for your help Kevin