Thread: The Last Sheep Hunt

Default The Last Sheep Hunt

Now that I'm retired and have some time on my hands I'd like to come back to Alaska and take a good ram. What do I need to know and how do I get a list of guides for my once and only hunt? I was fortunate enough to hunt Kodiak several years back and took a good 9 footer but would really like a good sheep, that's all I'm missing for my grand slam.

Any tips for a good trip.

I've never had the need to hire a guide for sheep, but I've read good things about Deltana Outfitters. I'm sure others will chime in as well.

Default Sheep hunt

Go with Deltana. They hunt the Brooks Range and you'll enjoy this hunt.
    The advice Brian gave is GOLD. I know the guide who pioneered that area of the Brooks Range and you will enjoy this hunt. Call Deltana.

send me a PM and i'll set you straight on Deltana, i now a guy who guided up there....
    needless to say, i'll never guide for them by choice.
    brooks is a great place, i know another guy, smaller outfitter who'll give your more attention and less conveyer belt feel...
    Www.blackriverhunting.com
    Master guide 212

Default Deltana

I would go with Deltana.. They are great people- Ralph Miller and his partner Jim Weidner own the company... I was going to be an assistant guide for them this year but decided to go with Freelance outdoor adventures with Lance Kronberger Instead.

I have spoke with one of Raplhs main mountain hunting guides Bryan Molles Many of times on the phone.. Great guy and Im sure his other guides are the same...

Just my two cents.. If I was a non resident I would go with Deltana..

James

Default Bryan?

His name is Billy Molls, not Bryan.

Default thanks for the correction

Thanks for the correction, I guess that was a brain fart.. Billy Molls I meant, Great guy

out,
    James

Default Research

Make sure you do your research, so you get a quality trip. With big outfitts you never know who you are going to get for the guide or how much actual sheep hunting experience they actually have. I would follow brwnbr's advice and make sure you ask all the right questions.

Terry

another issue that comes up all the time with sheep hunts...what kinda hunt do you want?
    do you want to actually hunt for a sheep or do you want someone else to find it for you then you go try to stalk it? ie...spotting one from the air before you show up?
    its all depends on what a hunt actually means to you. does the hunt mean more than the kill or are you just after a head for the wall....
    alot of the bigger sheep outfitts will have a plane in the air, because they need to turn over bigger numbers of sheep, smaller outfitts tend to not do that as much because they aren't looking for a dozen sheep in two weeks, only 2 or 3....
    i like to actually hunt stuff and find it myself...makes me feel kinda weak to have to find something from a plane, specially when thats classified as being an unethical practice in the guiding regulations...but some guys love it.
    Master guide 212

"Great guy and Im sure his other guides are the same... "

thats a scary assumption for someone to be betting there $14,000 on.
    Master guide 212

I say that because of the standards that seem to be in place with Deltana.. Ralph and Jim from my interview have high standards and morals...And im pretty sure they do alot more intensive interviews when hiring for actual guides.. Also they arent just your regular top dawg outfitter..

Anyways anyone asking these questions about a outfitter should do their research..each person is different in how they judge a individual in making a choice, I have had nothing but good reports on deltana when I was doing my own research on what outfitters to contact looking for work.. I found mine based on my research. Calling different outfitters and even calling Canadian outfitters that know Alaskan outfitters.. Although Deltana was willing to give me a chance, I chose a different route for other reasons.

We can only provide advice to these individuals.. But ultimately they make their own decision..

out,
    James

Quote Originally Posted by bohntr21 View Post
    I would go with Deltana.. They are great people- Ralph Miller and his partner Jim Weidner own the company... I was going to be an assistant guide for them this year but decided to go with Freelance outdoor adventures with Lance Kronberger Instead.

I have spoke with one of Raplhs main mountain hunting guides Bryan Molles Many of times on the phone.. Great guy and Im sure his other guides are the same...

Just my two cents.. If I was a non resident I would go with Deltana..

James
    That doesn't say a whole lot for Kronburger. I'm not saying that's a bad thing.
    I sent a PM to you MC.
    Art is making something out of nothing and selling it.
    - Frank Zappa

james i know one of the guides they hired and i know how his season went since he was hired as a sheep guide and had never seen a dead sheep in his life...being from new york and all....long story, but he went 0 for 3 on sheep clients, to scared to pull the trigger...so three deltana clients went home empty handed because of the guides they hired....that ain't where i'd invest my money....
    Master guide 212

well I dont know full story so no comment, I guess the man can decide for himself, but hopefully he does his research on his own and make his own decision so there will wont be any regrets at the end.. There are plenty of great morally ethical guides out there..

Do the research, talk to people, call the references, call whomever etc...
    Everyones abilities and expectations are different... Im just glad Im a resident and dont have to fork out the 15k or whatever it is to hunt!!!

Out,
    James
    Last edited by bohntr21; 03-20-2009 at 12:54. Reason: spelling

Thanks for all the replies and for the PMs about this. This will be a 2010 venture and I intend to look further into all the leads on sheep guides.

I am interested in a good hunting experience. I want to see some sheep. I don't want one tied to a stake somewhere in the foot hills. With or without a trophy head, I'll be happy with a good hunt. Thanks again.

LTC Jonas

Does anyone know how Pioneer Outfitters are out of Chisana? I think they are a smaller outfit aren't they?

Thumbs up Pioneer Outfitters...

Pioneer Outfitters, owner by Terry Overly, Has had a long history of high success on medium size rams. Most full curl rams would be 35 to 37 inches. I believe a 39 inch ram would be very huge for that country. But his success rate is at 100% opportunity, near 100 % kill rate for many years.

Dennis
    AK TAGS

i belive terry takes over 2 dozen sheep a year...last number i heard anyway.
    Master guide 212