Thread: first time to alaska for fishing

Exclamation first time to alaska for fishing

Hi everyone. Has anyone fished the chulitna drainage system the 2nd week of june? Do the fish tend to be up there by than or is that a lil early to be there. My friend and I are taking our very first trip to alaska this year the second weekend of june. We are the avid do it yourselfers and we cant wait!!!!!!What about the cooks inlet rivers that time of year? We are gonna be in a motor home and have a thursday to tuesday window.Any help is very much appreciated thank you very much Washington State

Here's a link to a page on the Alaska Department of Fish and Game web site.

http://www.sf.adfg.state.ak.us/state...m?chart=runken

This will tell you the basic history of when what species of salmon are running at what time, in what river. Obviously it is not an exact science! Poke around this site a little and you should find a lot to read up on.

The second week of June looks a bit early for the Kenai Peninsula but there WILL be fish here! If you want to target Kings in the Kenai River, i would suggest hiring a guide - they have the right equipment, know the river and fishing for Kings is a lot better from a boat rather than from the shore.

Welcome to Alaska and i hope you have a great visit!
    English is an odd language. It can understood through tough thorough thought, though.

Default Chulitna

If you are looking for kings, there is only one place that is legal to catch them and that is way way up the Parks. So short answer there will be very few kings up there. If you head down the road a little and fish the Susitna creeks, you can find a few fish but they will not be thick yet.

Default Talkeetna area fishing

Quote Originally Posted by countywarrior View Post
    Hi everyone. Has anyone fished the chulitna drainage system the 2nd week of june? Do the fish tend to be up there by than or is that a lil early to be there. My friend and I are taking our very first trip to alaska this year the second weekend of june. We are the avid do it yourselfers and we cant wait!!!!!!What about the cooks inlet rivers that time of year? We are gonna be in a motor home and have a thursday to tuesday window.Any help is very much appreciated thank you very much Washington State
    The Chulitna River drainage is pretty difficult to fish unless you really know the local spots. And yes, that time of year is a little bit early. The streams along the parks highway are Willow Creek, Little Willow Creek, Goose Creek, Montana Creek, and Sheep Creek. The mouth of the Kashwitna also has kings at that time of year. You can park at the state park campgrounds of some of these creeks and fish the mouth. They all flow into the Susitna river. We call it the Big Su. There is definitely alot more fish in the 3rd-4th week of June. I can't recall if the exactly date these streams open in June, but you may be early.
    If I was you, I would head south from Anchorage and fish the Ninilchik and Anchor River. It will elbow to elbow but there will be plenty of fish (usually). These are weekend fisheries as are some of the Parks Highway streams. The big difference is that the Peninsula streams will have dime bright fish and the Parks highway streams will have colored fish and will not be as tasty. Also when you are south, you can hit the Halibut fishing off of Homer and Deep creek on the closed days of the streams. BTW, you can also fish the Kasilof river from the bank at Crooked Creek State Park. Hope that helps.

the parks highway streams btween willow and talkeetna are weekend only fisheries, and you cant fish above the highway bridge for them...good king fishing in ship creek here in anchorage around that time and the little su river...the little su, if you have a raft or small boat, is fun and easy to float with little current and great fishing for trout as well as salmon...the king fishing starts to pick up on the parks highway streams usually the mid of june, but no promises- though my buddies and i have made a tradition to catch kings on june 21st because its summer soltice at sheep creek on the parks.... all depends on weather and water levels as well as luck of the draw... on the kenai peninsula i would try the homer lagoon, the anchor river, if its still open then? and the kenai/kasilof rivers...

I know you seem to want kings, but the Russian River opens the 11th for sockeye too. It would be early, but possible to get some. Plus given it's early not so many people. (maybe).

On that note be prepared for a lot of people if fishing off the parks. hyw. (north of anchorage). Check into the gulkana maybe..you are on vacation and have a motor home right? I've never fished it and hear it's getting more popular too, but would be kind of neat. Also since you will drive more or less by it, check out the Eklutna tailrace for kings, it' North from Anchorage on the old glen Hwy about 30 miles.

Default parks highway streams

well one good thing abou them is they are usually open every day till around the 15 of june then its a weekend only fishing. ship is pretty good but you got to hit the tide just right or there are few fish in the creek. you can pick up tide charts at most of the stores liek walmart in anchorage. i dont know but you might be able to get some reds in off the ritch cant remember how early that is either they are a lot of fun in those fast moving waters just a lot smaller.. well good luck and welcome to the greatest place on earth

hey thanks to you that are willing to lend a hand. I know how it is to give up fishing spots.... Let me ask you this what if we postponed our trip to later in june lets say the last weekend of june? I know that the salmon runs depend on the salmon. We are really interested in the chulitna river system rumor has it that there is little pressure there and lots of fish. We are not interested in bringing fish home just want to bring them to the bank lol........ And it doesnt bother us in the least to walk an extra mile to get to them? A red king to us is just as valuable as a chromer...Just as long as they will let us know they are on the other end of our line...If you know what i mean thanx for all the input............Washington State

Default for sure

if you wait that should be dead on ive always had my best weekend being the last one in june. ive fished then all and that one is my best but agian that just one guys 2 cents. well good luck and keep us posted