Thread: Gear we wish existed

Default Gear we wish existed

What piece of gear do you wish you had, but are fairly sure it doesn't exist?

I'll start:

HH Impertech waist-length jacket. Cut and fit similar to a Simms guide jacket. For my uses, the current Impertech jacket is too long for wade fishing - it drags in the water when I wade deep.

Quote Originally Posted by Tsiutoo View Post
    What piece of gear do you wish you had, but are fairly sure it doesn't exist?

I'll start:

HH Impertech waist-length jacket. Cut and fit similar to a Simms guide jacket. For my uses, the current Impertech jacket is too long for wade fishing - it drags in the water when I wade deep.
    hmmm something along these lines?

http://www.hellyhansengear.com/Roan-...DER_p_744.html

Kinda fits the bill for what youre looking for. I ordered one awhile back, but havent tried it on yet to see how it fits. (im in South Korea for the next few months ) if i feel it is a lil too long, ill take it to the alterations place and have an adjustable elastic cord put at the bottom so i can tighten it around my waist. anyhow, hope this helps. this thread should be a big hit. i like it anyhow haha!

Default camcorder case

Last year I was looking for a soft padded waterproof case for my new video camera. After extensive searching, and even talking to a couple companies who make waterproof bags I realized there was no such animal. So I just made one myself for the cost of a blue foam sleeping pad and an OR waterproof stuff sack.
    Art is making something out of nothing and selling it.
    - Frank Zappa

I always thought this would be cool -

typical mid-weight hiking type boots that is waterproof - ok that exists, but these boots have a special feature.

A very thin packable membrane built into the boot and rolled into the cuff. You unsnap a little flap, roll up the 'wader' membrane to hip boot height and wade across a stream. Get to the other side, roll the wader back down snap it into the cuff and proceed. With minimal time, effort, or forethought to packing waders and of course no wet or cold feet.

Glacier socks are about what is out there and they do the job, but are more bulky and require taking the pack off and putting them on...besides a material thin enough to pack down into a boot cuff without being too bulky when stowed probably isn't out there.

You can put this one in the impossible category...

I hate that I have a whole storage tub dedicated to nothing but clothing. Base layers, Mid layers, rain gear, warm weather, cold weather, east coast deer clothing, etc. It would be nice to have one set of clothes that can change depending on the weather, and digital camo that can change depending on the area of the country you are hunting and type of game you are pursuing. That would be nice!

Default Fog "polarizing" lenses...

Eyewear you slip on that cuts the fog the same way polarized lenses cut the glare. Imagine...

"Aha! There's the _________ !"

a). trail!
    b). bull!, ram!, boar!, buck!...
    c). reef!!!

High quality and fast drying hiking pants for people 6'6" and 300+ lbs. I actually wear my blue jeans around camp on float trips as I can't find anything else that will fit.
    The two loudest sounds known to man: a gun that goes bang when it is supposed to go click and a gun that goes click when it is supposed to go bang.

:d:d!!!freeze-dried beer!!!

Quote Originally Posted by cdubbin View Post
    :d:d!!!freeze-dried beer!!!
    Rep points for you!!! Great idea!!

Default not exactly freeze dried but close

Looks like this fellow is on the right track.....looks interesting!

Beer concentrate + appropriate amount of water + mini carbonator = beer in your nalgene bottle.

Wonder if it really works?

http://patsbackcountrybeer.com/ourstory.html

Check it out!

Quote Originally Posted by bairdi View Post

Beer concentrate + appropriate amount of water + mini carbonator = beer in your nalgene bottle.

Check it out!

And I will give some points for this
    The two loudest sounds known to man: a gun that goes bang when it is supposed to go click and a gun that goes click when it is supposed to go bang.

WHAT!

Has anyone tried this? Review please.

I honestly never thought the day would come.

Thumbs up I would like to see

a floating backpack! You could load it up with 60 pounds of gear and it would just float along behind you, wherever you went.

That and lightweight raingear, that keeps you dry, wicks sweat away from you and doesn't tear on brush,

Default sign me up

Quote Originally Posted by bairdi View Post

Check it out!
    I want to be a field tester!
    Art is making something out of nothing and selling it.
    - Frank Zappa

We would have reached this benchmark in human progress a century ago, had Thomas Edison been an avid outdoorsman.

Talking

A modern elan/tundra combo for the slow and tight places.A combo of new and old but better than either for specific purposes. 350 single with reverse in an elan-like front chassis, with the 2010 tundra-like front(32 inch stance) and rear(144 x 16) suspension. NO BELLS OR WHISTLES. Max 325 pounds and 4500 bucks. Throw in the lifetime warranty while you are at it too. OK, OK I'll keep dreamin!

Pat is a friend of mine. It works, but getting it into full scale production is going to take a few dollars. As he mentions on the website, he will keep updating it as changes begin. I'd bet there will be some sales available at some of the establishments in Talkeetna this summer.

BTW, you couldn't meet nicer people than Pat and his wife Bitsy.
    Bunny Boots and Bearcats: Utility Sled Mayhem

I got interupted on my last post about the backcountry beer. Anyhow, this is from Pat's website..

Q: How do I get some?
    A: Patience. We are currently on track to begin production as early as spring of 2009. Initially we will be marketing our beers in the USA, but plan a gradual expansion to Canadian, Australian, and European markets.
    Bunny Boots and Bearcats: Utility Sled Mayhem

If this stuff really works I wish it was possible to invest into it, its gonna be a big big hit once the word gets out- i would definately buy a hundred thousand shares of penny stock if it were available.