Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Sportsman's Warehouse Struggling

Default Sportsman's Warehouse Struggling

I was in Sportsman's in Anchorage the other day and asked if they were getting more handguns in soon. The guy behind the counter said he's just hoping they keep the doors open. He said they've closed 23 stores and are selling 15 others. Hopefully they can reorganize and the fallout won't effect the stores up here. News below.

http://www.hoovers.com/free/co/news/...rce_type%5B%5D=

I was in on monday and the guy at the gun counter told me that the Anchorage store is second highest in sales for the whole chain. It would be stupid to close a store with that kind of sales. As far as handguns I told him that I ordered a new gun from a gun shop and he told me good thing I didn't try there because they couldn't even order guns. He also said it would be a while before all the shelves got restocked with liquidation of the other stores paying people off ect.

I'll be honest, I have kinda given up on SW. They never have anything I need. I have been shopping elsewhere.

Default Alaska not closing

The fall out won’t affect the Alaska stores. However as we speak a percentage of ownership for a number of stores are changing hands from CEO Stu Utgaard to UFA in Canada. 23 stores are being liquidated to reduce debt and 15 stores are being sold to UFA Co-Op. All Minnesota stores are closing.

Expect inventory to be down (I’m sure you noticed merchandise is limited) until this business deal is complete.

23 stores are being liquidated to reduce bank debt.

• Aurora, CO
    • Coon Rapids, MN
    • DePere, WI
    • Henderson, NV
    • Lafayette, IN
    • Las Cruces, NM
    • Las Vegas, NV
    • Legacy, TX
    • Memphis, TN
    • Nampa, ID
    • New Berlin, WI
    • Oklahoma City, OK
    • Pittsburgh, PA
    • Pocatello, ID
    • Roanoke, VA
    • Rogers, AR
    • Round Rock, TX
    • St. Cloud, MN
    • Sioux Falls, SD
    • Southaven, MS
    • Visalia, CA
    • Wichita, KS
    • Woodbury, MN

15 stores are being sold to UFA Co-op.
    • Bend, OR
    • Bozeman, MT
    • Burlington, WA
    • Coeur d’Alene, ID
    • Fargo, ND
    • Federal Way, WA
    • Helena, MT
    • Kennewick, WA
    • Lacey, WA
    • Missoula, MT
    • Portland, OR
    • Salem, OR
    • Silverdale, WA
    • Spokane, WA
    • Vancouver, WA
    Alaska Outdoors Television ~ Outdoor Channel

All the more reason to support a local business.

There was a young fella workin out in the Wasilla store complainin to al the customers that they were closin the doors, so, really it's all in who you ask. I do know however form a reputable worker they are doin alright and gonna make it. I too like to support the local stores but aside from fishin gear, needin the little things on a weekend, SW is the best option in Wasilla.
    We do not go to the green woods and crystal waters to rough it, we go to smooth it. We get it rough enough at home; in towns and cities; in shops, offices, stores, banks anywhere that we may be placed

I talked to one of my buddies in MN and he said the St. Cloud Sportmans Warehouse was starting their going out of buisness sales-he said from talking to the employees @ that store it sounded like the whole chain was going under?

KK

I would not shed a tear. I can find everything I need at Boondock Sporting Goods, Barney's, AMH, Mountain View Sports, B&J's, and Trustworthy Hardware in Soldotna.

i'll second that brian...
    Www.blackriverhunting.com
    Master guide 212

Quote Originally Posted by Brian M View Post
    I would not shed a tear. I can find everything I need at Boondock Sporting Goods, Barney's, AMH, Mountain View Sports, B&J's, and Trustworthy Hardware in Soldotna.

I have bought stuff from them all, I probably spend the most at Trusty in Soldotna, but I do get a lot of waterfowl hunting supplies at Sportsmans. Before them there was nothing for waterfowl hunters. Local or chain, those are still our fellow Alaskan's working at Sportmans, read, "working", the way things are going we should be thankful for that. I have some friends that make their living at SW, Alaskan's, feeding their families, and some supplementing their retirement.

Some of he worst service I have ever had was at Boondock's, haven't been back since. No one will ever beat Trusty in customer service, Scott and Brian are the class of small business operators. I can't afford to shop at Mountain View, if I bought my waterfowl ammo their I wouldnd't be able to hunt as much. B&J, I do enjoy shopping there, except that darn little guy who always gets me excited and talks me into buying way too much. AMH, I have been there a few times many years ago, bought some stuff, I am not much of a mountain guy so they really don't have stuff I buy, but it was a cool store.

I totally agree. But sometimes the smaller stores (though they and no one else knows why) seem to get their inventory last, if they order. I think it is the smaller inventory they ask for...

Quote Originally Posted by Brian M View Post
    No amount of education can help those who want to remain permanently ignorant of facts, which includes those whom have been educated.

I don't like to see anyone go out of business and the prices that some of the mom and pop stores charge for their stuff, SW is a solid option. Glad to hear they are going to hang tough here in Alaska.

There was a young fella workin out in the Wasilla store complainin to al the customers that they were closin the doors, so, really it's all in who you ask. I do know however form a reputable worker they are doin alright and gonna make it. I too like to support the local stores but aside from fishin gear, needin the little things on a weekend, SW is the best option in Wasilla.
    My information is based on discussions with corporate directly and not second guessing. Employees only know what their GM’s want them to know so I would take their information with a grain of salt. In fact the stores I’ve listed are a direct text copy from Sportsman’s website and there’s a ton of info available through a google search.

Try these sites

http://www.ufa.net/inthenews/archive/sportsmanWarehouseUS.html
    http://www.sportsmanswarehouse.com/news.cfm

It’s a simple case of expanding too quickly and then being wacked over the head with this economy. It's my understanding (although not directly stated as such to me personally) that SW had a loan w/UFA…UFA called the loan back in November and proceeded to take over SW but with the economy declining it was decided that perhaps a split of stores was a better option to pay down the UFA debt.

Times are going to be lean like their inventory for a bit as this all shakes out but Alaska’s one of their top grossing stores so why would they shut those down.
    Alaska Outdoors Television ~ Outdoor Channel

Fairbanks most the time, Ancorage some of the time,& on the road Kicking Anti's all the time

well i talked to SW in FBKS Tuesday... they said no issues here also... but we have frontier outfitters... and i like Gerry

i also found out that i can call that guy with the crazy avatar. Mark at Wiggys and he will just send me stuff if i call him..
    "If you are on a continuous search to be offended, you will always find what you are looking for; even when it isn't there."

meet on face book here

Default SW

I would love to see them open a Cabela's....after all they make all kinds of stuff for Alaska just dont see why they dont have one in the state

I would rather have a bass pro, maybe they can change it to Salmon pro. As cool as Cabela's was to see in the few places I have been... the bass pro had just as much and lower prices.

Quote Originally Posted by cmp189ap View Post
    I would love to see them open a Cabela's....after all they make all kinds of stuff for Alaska just dont see why they dont have one in the state
    No amount of education can help those who want to remain permanently ignorant of facts, which includes those whom have been educated.

Default keeping money local

As far as not supporting SW because they are not local that is a POOR argument. SW probably employs more people in Alaska than all the other stores combined. THAT is money that stays in Alaska.

I am glad they are sticking around, competition is ALWAYS a good thing.

Competition is indeed a good thing, and yes, they certainly do employ a lot of people. Still - I'll usually support the locally owned business whenever possible. I don't want to see SW go out of business, but on some level the locally owned businesses would see a spike in business, and thus revenue, and thus money to hire more employess if SW was gone.

Default Bass Pro Shop

Quote Originally Posted by upinak View Post
    I would rather have a bass pro, maybe they can change it to Salmon pro. As cool as Cabela's was to see in the few places I have been... the bass pro had just as much and lower prices.

Bass Pro was looking for land in Anch last fall, I haven't heard anything lately though.

I heard that as well. Cabela's ticked me off when I heard form a Rep in Washington, Tacoma area, that Alaska doesn't have enough people to "sustain" their business. I just smiled and walked away from the jerk. If he ONLY knew! Oh well.. come on up Bass Pro!

Quote Originally Posted by jeffin AK View Post
    Bass Pro was looking for land in Anch last fall, I haven't heard anything lately though.

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast