Thread: G3 question with 90 Yamaha jet

Default G3 question with 90 Yamaha jet

Hello,

My dad is concidering purchasing a 18" G3 with a 90 jet unit from Dewy's. Does any one have or know how this set up works / MPH and GPH with how many lbs? Please let me know any information you may have helping him make a choice.

Thanks in advance for your help,
    AK LIVIN

That is a nice set-up. I have no idea on weight (should be easy to find on-line) or gallons per hour. Personally, I wouldn't worry about fuel. I know G3 came out with a 19' boat with a 66" bottom, you may want to look into that boat for a little more room

Does it have the tunnel and the 25 inch transom?Tiller or remote? I,m looking at one also.

Default I purchased the 115/80 jet from Dewy's

I put in on a 19" old military Ponton boat. If it is the 90/65 jet you might be a little light but it depends on what he is wanting to do with it. If it is running the little Su or deshka with 3 or 4 folks for fishing you'll be okay, if you want to hunt... bigger is better. Go with the 115/80. You can always slow down. As with the others, don't worry about the fuel, it is, what it is. If you can affort the boat, you can afford the fuel... I can load mine with as much as I want and still can go...

Good luck.

I have the G3 1860 WOFJ with a 90hp, center console. It does not work. Test drive before you buy. I bought then drove it. It spent weeks in the shop and still does not work. I will put pods on it and I hope that will solve the issue, but I don't know that it will. Trim tabs helped control the porpoising, but not completely and they killed a ton of speed and fuel consumption sky rocketed.

Very interesting. I had heard there was a problem. Wonder what the deal is?

My guess is the tunnel was built wrong(shape and depth)??

Quote Originally Posted by akshrop View Post
    I have the G3 1860 WOFJ with a 90hp, center console. It does not work. Test drive before you buy. I bought then drove it. It spent weeks in the shop and still does not work. I will put pods on it and I hope that will solve the issue, but I don't know that it will. Trim tabs helped control the porpoising, but not completely and they killed a ton of speed and fuel consumption sky rocketed.

I have buddy with an 18' G3 and a 50 tiller jet with a similar problem, he put on trim tabs and he loves it.

I had another friend with the same boat and a 115/80 jet, and the motor looked like a monster on that boat. He said it flew, he had to put all the weight in the boat forward if it was just him but with 3 or 4 people it was fine, and still flew. He didn't have to make any mods to that set-up.

Have you heard of any problems with a prop set-up? I know a few people that run these on the Kenai with 50 props and haven't had a problem.

I think the 50 hp prop and a 1860 G3 NO tunnel would bo great>

I just bought a g3 1652 with a 50 horse tiller off caigs lists last week for 7950.00 wondering how it will go.

Default G3 1860 W/ 90/65 Jet

I have a G3 with a 90/65 tunnel. I honestly can say I have no qualms with this set up. I mostly run the little Su and can say that late in the year I got into some areas up river I probably shouldn't have been. I dont know how big of a difference it is to not have the Tunnel but this set up will run shallow even with three people and gear. The fuel economy isn't bad either. All in all this is a good set up.