Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: 7MM Rem Mag for AK?

Default 7MM Rem Mag for AK?

I Moved here from northern NY up near Canada and have hunted white tail my whole life. This year I plan on hunting moose and just want to ask for some advise from all the Alaskan veteran hunters on here about what is the best round to shoot with the 7mm. Also is the 7mm rem mag good enough for an all around gun up here? Like I said I plan on hunting moose this year and hopefully a sheep hunt next and possibly a grizz. I have shot a lot and know shot placement is everything, just looking for a little advise for hunting in AK.

This is a very common question. Some will tell you to get a bigger rifle for moose and bear. Everyone will agree that it will kill a sheep consistently, same thing w/ caribou. Honestly I wouldn't hesitate to pop ol bull winkle w/ it. I would probably shoot a bear w/ it if the opportunity presented itself and it was the gun in hand, though for me I have and would take other guns for that. At one time all I had was a 7mm, I loaded it w/ barnes x bullets and would have carried it for anything I set my mind on chasing.

Default Dennis Confer liked 'em...

estimating he put 3700 rounds through his Ruger M77 in 20 years.
    His excellent book, "Hunt Alaska Now" includes a several page discussion on best calibers and best bullets for Alaska based on his hunting and guiding career. Like Lujon, he was partial to Barnes X too (another good discussion).

Lujon summed it all up nicely, but here are a couple of good threads about the 7mm. I'm sure there are others. Try "search", then "advanced search", then "Google search of AOD":

http://forums.outdoorsdirectory.com/...ad.php?t=39588
    http://forums.outdoorsdirectory.com/...ad.php?t=38829

Good luck.

I wouldn't use a 7mm mag as a dedicated big bear gun, but if you want to take one as an incidental to a moose or sheep hunt, I say go for it. Use minimum 160 grain premium bullets. Myself, I would use a 175 grain on bear, but I'm a heavy bullet for caliber guy.

Default My favorite caliber-

I have one and used it for over 20 years. It's killed many moose and caribou, some sheep, goat black bear, deer and elk. I would not hesitate to use it for any of these species, but it's not enough for brown bear. I prefer a 175 gr. premium bullet for this rifle. Mine is a Ruger M77 and it's a tack-driver.

-Mike
    LOST CREEK COMPANY: Specializing in Alaska hunt consultation and planning for do-it-yourself hunts, fully outfitted hunts, and guided hunts.
    CLICK HERE to send me a private message.
    Web Address: http://alaskaoutdoorssupersite.com/hunt-planner/
    Mob: 1 (907) 229-4501
    "Dream big, and dare to fail." -Norman Vaughan
    "I have climbed my mountain, but I must still live my life." - Tenzig Norgay

My pops use it for moose, caribou, and black bear and has killed man large bull moose with it. I agree with the other comments, i dont think i would use it for brownie gun.

Default Get really close

If you use it for bear......just leave anything outside 100yrds. Keep your quarry close and it's all good in cojunction with the above advice of shooting premium bullets to penetrate deep.

Welcome to Alaska. I'd be asking what kind of boots to buy.......there's lots of ground to cover up here.

Your 7mm will work fine for just about everything, moose are not all that hard to kill, same with black bear.Like everyone else said, get premium bullets. It's on the small side for brownies but like most, after you have been here awhile, you'll end up buying a 338 or 375 eventually. Like I tell my better half, there is always a good reason for buying a new gun.

Its my "go to" rifle and although would not be my first choice for the big bears, I use it for everything else. Premium bullets and the right circumstances, I'd take the bear too.

Default .270 & .300 WinMag

Some sound advise there, and aways a good excuse to buy a gun. 7mm (.275) slightly small but could be done if everything went perfect. My dad killed a 7' grizz with a .270, an 10' brown bear could be exciting.
    I always figured it it walks in North America I could kill it with my .270W or 300 Winmag, with my .22 as back up, don't ever have to out run a brown bear just your buddy.

I have done some tests with my 7mm and wet newspaper. I wouldn't hesitate using it on a brownie with top shelf 195grain bullets.

just took a moose last year with a Rem. 7mm with 175s. i wouldn't take it brownie hunting, but it will work great for anything smaller.

The 7mm is a very under rated cartridge IMO, having killed moose and lots of smaller stuff with one, there wasn't a lick of difference between the 7 mm shooting 175 grain bullets and a 30-06 shooting 180's. The bullet would be the most important part of the equation, but that is generally the case with any caliber. The Federal TBBC was always a favorite of mine for bigger stuff like moose, penetrates to know end, a 160 grain TSX probably wouldn't be a bad choice either.

This is no big moose by any stretch but I took it with a 7mm and a 175 grain TBBC, shot was straight down off a bluff on a called in bull, entered high due to the actual distance only being about 30 yards away though I ranged him at near 200 yards straight down. Severed the entire spine and exited, bull was DRT.

AlaskaCub, I have hypothesized what you just said: A 7mm, 175 grain bullet will kill just as well as a .30 cal, 180 grain bullet, all other things being equal.

I have looked at the numbers on the .280 Rem vs. .30-06. Depending on what loading manual you look at the .280 will shoot a 175 grainer at 2750, and the '06 will shoot the 180 grainer at roughly 2700. I can't imagine there is a creature on earth that could tell the difference.

7mag for Alaskan all round gun? Yea it will work, there are better, but it will work. As you have noted, bullet placement is paramount along with at least 160 premium bullets. Discriminate carefully for appropriate shots before you pull the trigger and good luck.

7mm (.275) slightly small

I hate to say this pirahna but the 7mm is .284 in., yea not much difference. A .270 is
    .277 in. I usually use 160 gr partitions or 154 grain hornaday's in mine.

Quote Originally Posted by alaskapiranha View Post
    don't ever have to out run a brown bear just your buddy.
    Actually, if your buddy drops and you keep running you're the meal...

Quote Originally Posted by chapman8523 View Post
    I Moved here from northern NY up near Canada and have hunted white tail my whole life. This year I plan on hunting moose and just want to ask for some advise from all the Alaskan veteran hunters on here about what is the best round to shoot with the 7mm. Also is the 7mm rem mag good enough for an all around gun up here? Like I said I plan on hunting moose this year and hopefully a sheep hunt next and possibly a grizz. I have shot a lot and know shot placement is everything, just looking for a little advise for hunting in AK.
    I've hunted many years with a Ruger M77 7mm RM, mostly shooting the 160 Nosler Partition. I haven't shot anything in AK with it, but I have shot a bunch of critters ranging from 70 lb antelope to 900 lb elk and it has been very effective. I think you would have no problen with most any game in AK except big bears. If I was still hunting with it I would be using either 150 E-Tip's or 150 TTSX's. You could go with a heavier flat based TSX if you are not concerned about range and BC.

Having said that, I have stepped up a cal to a 300 WSM and now a 300 RUM. I think the 300 WSM or WM would be great choices for AK and I like the RUM for flat shooting trajectory and long range reach.

If you already have a 7mm, it should do well. If you're choosing a rifle, IMHO, the 300 mag is the way to go.

Cheers,

MR

I've used the 7mm Mag for several years (Ruger M77). Great for goats and caribou. A tad much for sheep but it will reach out and touch them if you need it... You mentioned maybe wanting to take a grizz... a mountain grizzly wouldn't be a problem. Good bullet (I like the Nosler partitions) and good placement and no prob....Wouldn't be my first (or 2nd) choice if I was looking for a coastal brownie, but if it was all I had I'm sure it could get the job done.

Default Check out thses companys

The one builds a 7mm that they shoot large game up to a 1000 yards with.

http://www.gunwerks.com/
    http://www.longrangestore.com/

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast