Thread: Does anyone have a SIG P226 or P229 in 9mm I might be able to shoot?

Default Does anyone have a SIG P226 or P229 in 9mm I might be able to shoot?

I've been looking at getting a good DA/SA 9mm pistol like my Beretta M9 which is way too big for carry. I am considering the SIG P229 as I was told the 226 is the same size as the Beretta 92FS/M9. I know a lot of you guys favor the bigger calibers like .40 and .45 ACP for carry, but I am a 9mm fan and that is what I shoot the best. If you have one, and are willing to let me shoot it, I would be forever grateful even if I find out it is not a gun for me. I have plenty of 9mm practice ammo, so that's covered.

Thanks in advance!

Where are you located? Logistics could be a problem.

The SiG 226 is a full sized 9x19 pistol, approximately the size of the 92F or the M9. It is a double stack magazine holding about 17 rounds in the natural configuration, The compact model of Sig in the 9x19 is the 228 which is still double stacked (fat grip) but shorter in slide/barrel length as well as grip length. The 229 was the 228 with a make over for handling the 40 S&W round. I'm not sure if these designations and calibers ring true today but that was the original configurations. The 228 may no longer be made today. There are other SiG models in 9x19 also, particularly the smaller 239 and it comes in variants.

You ask for a DA/SA semi-auto pistol but the SiG, a very well made gun isn't what could be called a true DA handgun. Its only safe mode of carry (with a round in the chamber) is decocked. Meaning the slide is cycled to load it then with no manual safety we actuate the decocking lever to lower the hammer. The first round then will be long pull double action then subsquent shots will be short pull S/A. It does not require disengaging a manual safety before making the shot as does the Beretta M9, so this is an improvement. Lately though SiG is selling more and more of the DAO guns, a misnomer for sure but a very nicely done single stroke long pull D/A type trigger with a following hammer and no return to battery after each shot so therefore do decock lever required. Every trigger pull is the same, though longer and heavier than a single action, still a very good pull to which we can become well accustomed.

Now back to the way to big to carry for your 92F.?? You mean you would prefer something smaller. Smaller would be more concealable. I'm sure you or my 102 year old and 102# grandmother could actually carry a Beretta 92F, even with her broke hip and arthritic knees.

The most compact and useful 9x19 SiG, and the most portable will be the 239 DAO. I have a few SiG's but they are probably too far from where you are to do you any good, but I would gladly loan them out. They are mostly used for training anyway.

But, in selecting a pistol we should look into the Beretta more for the things you like or dislike, or more specifically the features that are more appropriate for a carry pistol. BTW the Beretta is way down on the bottom of my lists because of those features that a CCW gun should have, it doesn't have and those features a CCW should not have, it does. A fully loaded pistol should be safe to carry with the one-handed-grab-n- shoot capability with a minimal amount of manipulation to bring to bear. The more encumberances it has the more training required, and the truth be known CCW folks rarely ever train with what they carry.
    Is there nothing so sacred on this earth that you aren't willing to kill or die for?

Murphy,
    very well said, i would agree i carry a sig 226 and it is a fine weapon to carry. I will say that it is a bit large to carry in CCW, as is the m-9 and 92 has too much action going on to get it on line.

I think the question i would ask is what is scattergunguy is carrying to defend against. People or animal ?

scattergunguy I am not sure where you are and i will be back in the area around the mid of april if you have not had a chance to fire one hit me up and you can try mine.
    good luck t

Sweepint
    Wasilla, (when not overseas)
    '' Livn' The Dream ''
    26' Hewescraft Cuddy, twin 115 Yam

I am in Anchorage but am willing to go out to the indoor range in Palmer or Birchwood.

Quote Originally Posted by Murphy View Post
    Where are you located? Logistics could be a problem.

The SiG 226 is a full sized 9x19 pistol, approximately the size of the 92F or the M9. It is a double stack magazine holding about 17 rounds in the natural configuration, The compact model of Sig in the 9x19 is the 228 which is still double stacked (fat grip) but shorter in slide/barrel length as well as grip length. The 229 was the 228 with a make over for handling the 40 S&W round. I'm not sure if these designations and calibers ring true today but that was the original configurations. The 228 may no longer be made today. There are other SiG models in 9x19 also, particularly the smaller 239 and it comes in variants.

You ask for a DA/SA semi-auto pistol but the SiG, a very well made gun isn't what could be called a true DA handgun. Its only safe mode of carry (with a round in the chamber) is decocked. Meaning the slide is cycled to load it then with no manual safety we actuate the decocking lever to lower the hammer. The first round then will be long pull double action then subsquent shots will be short pull S/A. It does not require disengaging a manual safety before making the shot as does the Beretta M9, so this is an improvement. Lately though SiG is selling more and more of the DAO guns, a misnomer for sure but a very nicely done single stroke long pull D/A type trigger with a following hammer and no return to battery after each shot so therefore do decock lever required. Every trigger pull is the same, though longer and heavier than a single action, still a very good pull to which we can become well accustomed.

Now back to the way to big to carry for your 92F.?? You mean you would prefer something smaller. Smaller would be more concealable. I'm sure you or my 102 year old and 102# grandmother could actually carry a Beretta 92F, even with her broke hip and arthritic knees.

The most compact and useful 9x19 SiG, and the most portable will be the 239 DAO. I have a few SiG's but they are probably too far from where you are to do you any good, but I would gladly loan them out. They are mostly used for training anyway.

But, in selecting a pistol we should look into the Beretta more for the things you like or dislike, or more specifically the features that are more appropriate for a carry pistol. BTW the Beretta is way down on the bottom of my lists because of those features that a CCW gun should have, it doesn't have and those features a CCW should not have, it does. A fully loaded pistol should be safe to carry with the one-handed-grab-n- shoot capability with a minimal amount of manipulation to bring to bear. The more encumberances it has the more training required, and the truth be known CCW folks rarely ever train with what they carry.
    The Beretta 92FS/M9 is designed to be carried with a round in the chamber and safety off, and decocked just like the SIG. You have that long double action trigger pull on the first shot, but after that it's all quick single action shots. I really like the Beretta 92/M9 pistol, and I am able to shoot it very well.

Actually the Beretta 92/M9, as well as Smith & Wesson and others with DA/SA capability, gives you the option of carrying with the safety on or off. In the USAF, where I served as a small arms instructor, we were trained to carry the weapon with a round in the chamber, hammer down, safety off. So it is essentially the same as a Sig 226 in that respect if you choose to carry it that way. Beretta made a "G" model for a while that featured a decocking lever that returned to the "fire" position when engaged rather than staying down in the "safe" position.

Quote Originally Posted by gunblade View Post
    Actually the Beretta 92/M9, as well as Smith & Wesson and others with DA/SA capability, gives you the option of carrying with the safety on or off. In the USAF, where I served as a small arms instructor, we were trained to carry the weapon with a round in the chamber, hammer down, safety off. So it is essentially the same as a Sig 226 in that respect if you choose to carry it that way. Beretta made a "G" model for a while that featured a decocking lever that returned to the "fire" position when engaged rather than staying down in the "safe" position.
    That's true and all well and good but the (original) gun still has the lever and it is possible for the lever to be found in the safe position. If you train for it to be always in the fire position, you could be surprised at some point in time of some urgency. This could be trouble. And true any DA pull on just about any DA autolader is about the same but it is the presence of this lever on the 92F that is troublesome. A decocker would be much better. I think the Marines trained with the safety in the safe position so they always took it off before engaging the target so this was, in my opinion, better training but the gun and its lever are still a pain.

I think we can develope a useful skill set for any of the various auto loaders lock work but simple is better. The H&K USP with it's variants can be mastered but switching to another variant may be problematic. The purpose of the dual function or dual mode lockwork such as the CZ 75 and clones is to transition cocked and locked users to the gun and to transition decocker user to it with equal aplomb. I think in an attempt to appeal to the masses companies encorporated many types of lockwork hoping to capture customers from all previous types or to bring in new customers based on limited knowledge of how things really work. Since I cut my handgunnin' teeth on the 1911, I need a place to rest my thumb. The more I shoot a Glock the less I reach for the thumb safety.....one day when I need it most I'll grab the Glock and the safety will be..... on!
    Is there nothing so sacred on this earth that you aren't willing to kill or die for?

Agreed...I don't care for the slide mounted safety/decocking lever anymore since leaving the military and except for my S&W 1006 and a little Walther PPK, all my autos are single action save for my Kahr K40 which is DAO. I actually prefer a DAO with a smoothed up trigger than a conventional DA/SA with a lever.

Quote Originally Posted by scattergunguy View Post

I've been looking at getting a good DA/SA 9mm pistol like my Beretta M9 which is way too big for carry.

!
    I have a Sig 226 Equinox. Fantastic gun and I would recommend it to anyone. Except the OP of course.

From the info you put up top, I think you should be looking at smaller guns. Here are two examples, while a bit off subject, are more in the size of what many would consider a good choice for concealed carry.

A S&W j frame would make a fine concealed carry weapon. I have one of the "Airweights" with Crimson Trace laser grip in .32 H&R mag that is the perfect "pocket pistol" in a Desanti Nemesis. If suggesting a j frame to anyone else, I would suggest the .38 as it packs relatively small and ammo is easy to find. The 32 H&R mag ammo is hard to find at times and expensive when I do find it.

Also, a Glock 27 I recently bought would fit the bill nicely. I think the 26 is the 9mm. I got the 27 and it is a 40 S&W. From what I am reading here, you should give some thought to dropping down a size or two and get a more easily concealed weapon (that you will actually carry). Look at some of the smaller offerings and see how they compare to what you are currently interested in.

Whatever you do, don't be in a rush. Take your time and do it right. Pick up a few gun mags and read up a bit. Hit all the local (and not so local) gun shops and hold several models.
    The two loudest sounds known to man: a gun that goes bang when it is supposed to go click and a gun that goes click when it is supposed to go bang.

Quote Originally Posted by danattherock View Post
    I have a Sig 226 Equinox. Fantastic gun and I would recommend it to anyone. Except the OP of course.

From the info you put up top, I think you should be looking at smaller guns. Here are two examples, while a bit off subject, are more in the size of what many would consider a good choice for concealed carry.

A S&W j frame would make a fine concealed carry weapon. I have one of the "Airweights" with Crimson Trace laser grip in .32 H&R mag that is the perfect "pocket pistol" in a Desanti Nemesis. If suggesting a j frame to anyone else, I would suggest the .38 as it packs relatively small and ammo is easy to find. The 32 H&R mag ammo is hard to find at times and expensive when I do find it.

Also, a Glock 27 I recently bought would fit the bill nicely. I think the 26 is the 9mm. I got the 27 and it is a 40 S&W. From what I am reading here, you should give some thought to dropping down a size or two and get a more easily concealed weapon (that you will actually carry). Look at some of the smaller offerings and see how they compare to what you are currently interested in.

Whatever you do, don't be in a rush. Take your time and do it right. Pick up a few gun mags and read up a bit. Hit all the local (and not so local) gun shops and hold several models.
    I actually have both a Glock 26 and a Smith & Wesson 642. Both are excellent CCW guns. My usual in town carry is the Glock 19, but I like to have different options. I guess you could say I am somewhat of a gun collector, but I do get out and shoot when I can. I really do like my Beretta M9, and I'm just looking at other similar designs.

Default I have a Sig 226/229 Elite in .40

I like the .40/.357Sigs because you can but a .357 barrel in a .40, also a 9mm, and .22 barrel. You can shoot 4 calibers out of one hand gun. Email me cubguy@alaska.net

Quote Originally Posted by cubguy View Post
    I like the .40/.357Sigs because you can but a .357 barrel in a .40, also a 9mm, and .22 barrel. You can shoot 4 calibers out of one hand gun. Email me cubguy@alaska.net
    I am not a fan of the .40, I have never tried the 357 SIG but have shot 357 Magnum and I really like it. I am a big 9mm fan for cost of ammo and quicker follow up shots. I firmly believe the 9mm can get the job done for two legged predators, but I plan to buy a big bore like a .44 Magnum or 454 for the four legged predators when I go camping and if and when I do any fishing.

Quote Originally Posted by scattergunguy View Post
    I am not a fan of the .40, I have never tried the 357 SIG but have shot 357 Magnum and I really like it. I am a big 9mm fan for cost of ammo and quicker follow up shots. I firmly believe the 9mm can get the job done for two legged predators, but I plan to buy a big bore like a .44 Magnum or 454 for the four legged predators when I go camping and if and when I do any fishing.
    Not a 40S&W fan? Great round, widely used in law enforcement, in stock nearly everywhere. If your a reloader it can be loaded for about 6 cents a round and loaded at 900fps anyone can shoot it.

The 9mm is fine if that suits you. It too is easily available at nearly every store if retail is your thing. As you say, it can get the job done.

If cost is a factor stay away from the .357Sig, it's priced high in comparison. The Sig is a necked down 40S&W case. Comparing the .357 Sig to a .357 magnum is like saying the 380auto is a full power 9mm, not even close.

By the way, the round of choice for the US Air Marshall service is the .357Sig. It's a high velocity deep penetrator, not the big hole maker like the .357 Mag that can handle heavier bullets.

As mentioned by another poster, if you own a .357Sig or 40S&W all you need is the other size barrel to swap out. They use the same magazine since the 40S&W is the parent case. It's like owning two guns for an extra $125.00