Thread: Home Made Tree Stand?

Thumbs up Home Made Tree Stand?

Has anyone here made a home made tree stand for use on federal land where you are not allowed to nail the trees?

I am wanting to put something together that would be cheaper than a $200 cabbellas tree climber. Anyone have any ideas?

I have thought about trying to build a platform and then finding a good spot on a tree where I can anchor it with a bunch of webbing wrapped around the tree and branches? Anyone have any experience with this? Photos would be great, but not necessary.

Thanks

Default Ladder Stand

have you considered a ladder stand. The one I used in Kansas deer hunting was only secured by webbing and was quite sturdy even in the Kansas winds.

I know there are several manufacturers out there, so finding one to suit your needs should be pretty easy.

Quote Originally Posted by MyKC395 View Post
    have you considered a ladder stand. The one I used in Kansas deer hunting was only secured by webbing and was quite sturdy even in the Kansas winds.

I know there are several manufacturers out there, so finding one to suit your needs should be pretty easy.
    I would never sit in a ladder stand in AK if there was even the faintest chance a griz could be roaming around. Ladder stand + pissed off grizz = very bad situation.

Hanging the stand is not the problem, getting into the tree is!

I have made about a dozen tree stands and copied the commercial designs. It is no big deal but you will not be saving much money, shipping plus a small savings in materials. And you need access to a welder. I also made steps from lag bolts and bent the steps to provide greater torque when screwing them in and on you will need to pull them out when you come down but there is still the holes in the tree. Have fun. J.

I made one out of 3/4" plywood,lots of glue, 6 pcs of 1/2"? all thread for the spikes holding the tree, and chain going around the tree to eye bolts, hard to explain but it worked, can't remember where I got the plans? But could come up with something if you googled it I'm sure.

KK

Default Tree stands...

I too have made my own, far less damaging on the wallet than procurring from the available market. If you can bend conduit, it works great! Start with a horseshoe shaped bend, add plywood cut-to-shape. Build the frame (bolt-together a rectangle), add a smaller horseshoe for the seat to the frame (you'll have to rig a seat, but it's fairly easy). To secure to tree, ratchet straps can be secured via screws to the frame and when strapped, they do provide ample security/support. Lastly, don't forget about a safety strap, although cumbersome, it could save your arse if you fall out of the tree. PM me if you need more details...
    Respect what you do not own but are privleged to enjoy, Mother Earth thanks you...

If you are building your own tree stand or using a factory made one always wear a safety harness in case you fall. One advantage of factory stands is that they come with a harness and safety lines.

Default What do you think about this one?

Default I'd recommend NOT using wood for...

your treestand. Esp. if you're going to leave it up in a tree for any length of time. One thing is that wood expands and contracts with the temperature and the bolts can come loose. Of course, anything that can go wrong...
    Another factor is weight. How far are you going to carry this? If I were to make another stand, I'd make if out of angled or square-tubed aluminum and bolt it together -- better yet weld it. We used to use loc-on styles, but with modified seats and platforms.
    Comfort is another factor. Remember: Your butt is going to be planted in the seat for long periods of time. When the game comes near is no time to be fidgeting around in the stand. Don't teach the animals to look up.
    Good advice on this thread: ALWAYS WEAR A SAFETY BELT, esp. when ascending and descending the tree!
    More good advice: Never climb into the stand without first testing it!!!!
    Getting into the tree itself is another factor. Ideas in earlier posts include screw in steps. Also can use lineman's spikes. Both damage trees. Can also try climbing blocks. google US Patent 4674597 Tree climbing device.
    "Back in the day" we used to build our own for bowhunting deer in the Northeast US. They were heavy and awkward, but very strong and durable. As a matter of fact, one that I built back in the early 90s while I lived in the Northeast is still hanging in a Texas mesquite tree today. Good story in that one; perhaps another time...

all the best!

emrdux

Default I like the ladder stands.

I have a two man ladder stand . Have used it for 5 years. Very comfortable, safe, and easy to move. Everyone that sees it wants one. You can also resale it when you stop hunting and get part of your money back.

Quote Originally Posted by Shoot2Kill View Post
    I would never sit in a ladder stand in AK if there was even the faintest chance a griz could be roaming around. Ladder stand + pissed off grizz = very bad situation.
    I've used one for two seasons so far and have had a good sized brownie under it. I'm not too worried about being knocked out of the tree as my seat itself is ratchet-strapped to the tree. The most a grizz could do would take my ladder out itself, but I wouldn't let the bear get that far.