Thread: Flies for the Upper Kenai?

Default Flies for the Upper Kenai?

I'm going to float the upper kenai from the bridge to sportsmans this weekend and I was seeing what you would recommend for flies this time of year. I plan on using ESL, beads, and fleshflies. what do you think?

I would think the lightest (faded out) colors on the flesh flies. Don't know. Going in Sept myself but have no info to share with you about fishing this time of year. But sure look forward to following this thread. Something worth reading. Thanks for posting.
    The two loudest sounds known to man: a gun that goes bang when it is supposed to go click and a gun that goes click when it is supposed to go bang.

Articulting flesh flies. ESL's and there are still silvers in there so the trouts will hit on beads. Beads were working if Feb when we floated.
    Grandkids, Making big tough guys hearts melt at first sight

Don't leave home without some chocolate brown and olive green woolhead sculpins.

Quote Originally Posted by Alaskan Fly Guy View Post
    Don't leave home without some chocolate brown and olive green woolhead sculpins.

Good Call. I totally forgot about them Fly. Sculpin snacks. Trouts do like them

Good recommendations on flies above, but also think about going lighter on your tippet. The water is slower and clearer this time of year, so stealth fishing is more important now.

Quote Originally Posted by DanAK23 View Post
    I'm going to float the upper kenai from the bridge to sportsmans this weekend and I was seeing what you would recommend for flies this time of year. I plan on using ESL, beads, and fleshflies. what do you think?

Dont forget to shoot us a report and share some pics. Even if you dont get any hogs we all love to see the river this time of year when we are not on it.

Thanks for all the replies, they were extremely helpful. hopefully I will be able to pull a few out of there and if not I will post a few pics of the trip!

Dan

try a dolly lamma
    I choose to fly fish, not because its easy, but because its hard.

Quote Originally Posted by ak_powder_monkey View Post
    try a dolly lamma

Good idea AKPM.

Take a look at the olive/white dolly llama on the AFFG website. Awesome flies. Took some to NW Alaska this past Sept. Plan on buying a few more to bring to the Kenai in September. These guys sell the best flies I have ever seen. Their ESL purple with pink head has quickly become my favorite Alaska fly ever. Got my 14 lb dolly on it

www.alaskaflyfishinggoods.com

The two loudest sounds known to man: a gun that goes bang when it is supposed to go click and a gun that goes click when it is supposed to go bang.

I didnt make it down to the Kenai this weekend, sorry guys no pics or good stories