Thread: Fishing in Kake

Default Fishing in Kake

I'm headed to Kake this spring for some bear hunting, and if all goes well there will be some time for halibut fishing. Does anyone know if there is a bait shop in Kake where I can pick up some herring or other bait?
    "Beware the man with only one gun; he may know how to use it."

Try the liquor store. Im not being facetious either.. literally you might try the liquor store for bait. If not there there is a lodge that rents cars there.. they might have some or know where else to try.

Flying or Boating into Kake..?? Might be easier and cheaper just to throw a package in before you go..

Thanks for the advice.

I'm taking the ferry into Kake from Haines. I was going to bring some, but black bear is the priority for the trip and fishing will come after. I don't think the bait will last that long.
    "Beware the man with only one gun; he may know how to use it."

Quote Originally Posted by Kay9Cop View Post
    Thanks for the advice.

I'm taking the ferry into Kake from Haines. I was going to bring some, but black bear is the priority for the trip and fishing will come after. I don't think the bait will last that long.
    Not sure of the seasons down there, but last year in Juneau there was a buttload of herring swimming around, and the stuff in the stores wasn't that good. I went and bought a small telescoping pole and some jigs... caught my own bait.
    "...just because we didn't agree with you doesn't mean we didn't have good discussion. It just means you missed it." -JMG-

Quote Originally Posted by Kay9Cop View Post
    Thanks for the advice.

You can always salt some herring if you need to. It will last much longer that way. But I would use jigs and or Berkley Gulp Saltwater baits. They're much easier to keep.

There is a general store in Kake that sells herring. Only store in town can't miss it.

I bet you could catch some off a dock or something
    I choose to fly fish, not because its easy, but because its hard.