Thread: What is your tent for hardcore sheep hunt

Default What is your tent for hardcore sheep hunt

I am in the market for a new tent and am amazed by the amount of tents available. I have used a Eurika 2 man that has served me well for 15 years, although 6 lbs. I am considering a new tent to lighten the load a few lbs. What is your favorite ?
    Pick A Spot

Default Big Agnes

I will be using a Big Agnes Seedhouse2 this year SL2

plenty out there to choose from, there is another thread right next to this one on the same subject.

msr hubba hubba (hp), mountain hardwear 3 season tents, marmot tents.

I like Black Diamond tents. Check out their website. Lots of models, we use the Guiding Light for the extra room. Many smaller sizes available of course. Very lightweight and pack to extremely small sizes. Top notch stuff. Great design, tight as a drum, single wall, freestanding, and I have had this thing in some bad wind/rain with no problems.

http://www.bdel.com/gear/tents_overview.php

The two loudest sounds known to man: a gun that goes bang when it is supposed to go click and a gun that goes click when it is supposed to go bang.

Default Hardcore?

What is your tent for hardcore sheep hunt
    I suppose that depends on one definitions of hardcore. I would think hardcore is more like sheep hunting with nothing but a Bowie knife and loin cloth, no tent required.

If you are using hardcore to say you are not so much die-hard, rather you are going to be in extreme conditions for extended periods of time, you may wish to check out the Hilleberg line of tents. They get consistently great praise from their owners.

all the sheep huntint tents i have cost less than 200 dollars, all are less than 4lbs with the footprint, i have a mountain hardware or two, kelty and something else i can't remember.
    They'll all last me several years of hard use, several hunts a year in the moutains, setting up and taking down ever year. I can't bring myself to spend several hundred dollars on a tent when i get great use outa the tents i have for less money and i don't feel bad if one breaks.
    Www.blackriverhunting.com
    Master guide 212

Default Thanks BRWNBR

Good insight, My innitial thoughts are along the lines of a 3 season with less than 4 lbs. Hate to spend the $ for a Hilly and have a growler shred it while I am out. No worries. I do like the Mtn Hardware window option, do you know if any other brands have them, or if aftermarket is avaliable?
    Pick A Spot

windows are cute..but usually all fogged up anyway. i like my mt hardware 1 man tents, like em alot. make sure you get a side entrance one, then you can unzipp the sleeper bag and roll on your side and take a leak and never leave the tent...took me a couple tries to get that down..but boy once you do!!! NICEEEE.
    Www.blackriverhunting.com
    Master guide 212

I will second the vote of confidence for Black Diamond Tents - I have been very satisfied with the El Dorado with two doors.

Hard core would be a tarp tent. Perhaps add in a ti-goat ptarmigan bivi or similar for some added bad weather insurance. Now if you want my ideal sheep tent, then the Nallo 3 GT from Hilleberg is it. I actually own a Nallo4 GT and carry it instead, the extra room is very nice, and I needed a tent that could serve double double duty in the future of taking my boys hunting w/ me. The Hillebergs are just great tents, the craftsmanship is unmatched.

Default tarp tent

I have been pondering my home made tarp tent for the Chugach on the October bow hunt.........but I also think that I may get a bivy to go with it. Guess that I am a weenie and not so hard core.....hopefully I won't be a frozen core!

Based on glowing reviews from Buck Nelson on using these tents on his 1,000 mile trek acrossed Alaska I bought one of these. I figure if it is good enough for him to live in all summer treking across the Brooks it ought to be good enough for me and my measly 80-100 mile packrafting trips this summer. At 2.5 pounds and rated as a 3+ season tent seems like a pretty good deal. But for sheep hunting I'll still probably bring a Nallo 3 GT.