Thread: Cook Inlet Salmon and the tide

Default Cook Inlet Salmon and the tide

I have a question. I will be up the 15-25th of July and my buddy has a place in Homer. We just put down riggers on his boat and when we get a few hailbut we plan on looking for some Silvers and maybe a King in the salt. When the tide is really moving can you even fish salmon effectively? If so how do you fish them in the heavy tide? I have fished the great lakes a ton for salmon with down riggers but there is no tide there. Any help would be appreciated!

Quote Originally Posted by kgpcr View Post
    I have a question. I will be up the 15-25th of July and my buddy has a place in Homer. We just put down riggers on his boat and when we get a few hailbut we plan on looking for some Silvers and maybe a King in the salt. When the tide is really moving can you even fish salmon effectively? If so how do you fish them in the heavy tide? I have fished the great lakes a ton for salmon with down riggers but there is no tide there. Any help would be appreciated!
    kgpcr,

That depends on how deep you are fishing. The faster the tide and the deeper you fish, the more belly you will have in your downrigger line. It can be pretty significant. It rarely stops me from silver fishing though as they are normally hang out in around 20-50 feet in the water column. But, with that said, I normally have pretty crummy luck when the tide is ripping when fishing with the downrigger even though I know I am in the strike zone. In fact, I have found that salmon fishing is by far the best a couple hours before high tide and maybe an hour after it. It can be especially good if high tide is in the low light am hours (before 5 am) and in shady areas. There are a number of days when you miss this magic time that the salmon get lockjaw on you and it makes it rather frustrating since you can see them on the fish finder, but you can't get them to bite anything. I really hate those days......