Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Fairbanks

Question Fairbanks

Four of us are coming up in the middle of Sept for a moose hunt and I was wondering where a good place to stay is. I do not know if we should go the cheapest way and go out for food and drinks or pay a little more for a little better place that maybe has a watering hole and a restaurant in it. Just looking for some advice on some good hotels.

I don't know which one to suggest, but there are quite a few new hotels going up right now, and it is looking like the tourist season this year might be a bust. I'd imagine you could get some pretty good rates with the new competition in town.

Pikes is pretty good & meets your needs

Pikes is really nice . They offer breakfast free @ 7:00 . Umm , They are far from cheap though . Comfort inn might be a bit less ? check into the prices and so forth . They offer a breakfast too , but it's not as good as Pikes .

Talking Pikes is my favorite

I really like Pikes but only in the winter,,, TOO expensive when I have to compete with the tourists. Stay in a tent and eat at McDonalds!!

I stayed at the Super 8 in Fairbanks one weekend, it was a zoo. Stay somewhere else if you want to get some sleep.

We have stayed at the Comfort Inn on Chena Loop a few times. It is a good deal and has never been crowded. I recommend it.

Check the old posts. There is something pretty similar to this from last year. I would suggest that you consider places like Sophie's Station and Wedgewood. They are set up like apartments, they have a living room and a kitchen. Pretty comfortable for bigger groups. Also the Aspen (I think they changed their name) is an all suite hotel. They have fridges and microwaves in the room, also a hot tub, pool, and gym. Continental breakfast in the morning.

Default hotels

well as stated in the other post there are a lot to choose from the nicer ones with resturants are the Regency (sp?) and Pikes. but there are others on airport way and Johanson Expressway dont know if they are dun yet since i left in sept to come to iraq. sophies and wedgewood are both nice and like stated are more the apartment style. One other idea is if any of you might be retired military you could stay on Fort Wainwright. They build the lodging about 2 or 3 years ago and its pretty nice. hace a little breakfast to i heard in the morning. The only bad think about there is they dont let you make reservations until like 3 days out. well good luck and hope this helps.

Matt

For the real alaskan experience, I recommend you get the cheapest hotel on 2nd street you can find. Lots of local color in that area.
    I can't help being a lazy, dumb, weekend warrior.......I have a JOB!
    I have less friends now!!

Quote Originally Posted by martentrapper View Post
    For the real alaskan experience, I recommend you get the cheapest hotel on 2nd street you can find. Lots of local color in that area.
    Only 1 hotel left on 2 St. - Spring Hill Suites...and I doubt it's cheap!
    The Marines I have seen around the world have the cleanest bodies, the filthiest minds, the highest morale, and the lowest morals of any group of animals I have ever seen. Thank God for the United States Marine Corps! (Eleanor Roosevelt, 1945)

Fairbanks most the time, Ancorage some of the time,& on the road Kicking Anti's all the time

Okay i have to ask... but if your going Moose hunting why do you need a hotel room? one would think a tent more fitting.. unless you plan on hunting the 9am walmart rush...
    "If you are on a continuous search to be offended, you will always find what you are looking for; even when it isn't there."

meet on face book here

I always love when I see the welcome to fairbanks sign, in my rear view mirror

Fairbanks most the time, Ancorage some of the time,& on the road Kicking Anti's all the time

Quote Originally Posted by akspecialus View Post
    when it should read

Welcome to Fairbanks
    Now go Home
    "If you are on a continuous search to be offended, you will always find what you are looking for; even when it isn't there."

meet on face book here

Quote Originally Posted by akspecialus View Post
    Just curious what is wrong with fairbanks.

Quote Originally Posted by starmac View Post
    Just curious what is wrong with Fairbanks.

for the most part it is still Alaskan, and folks from Los-Anchorage tend to get lost in it. people up here frown at them when they carry a car door out to moose camp so they can roll the window down to get a good drive by, shot off. like they are use to at home.

meet on face book here

Quote Originally Posted by Vince View Post
    for the most part it is still Alaskan, and folks from Los-Anchorage tend to get lost in it. people up here frown at them when they carry a car door out to moose camp so they can roll the window down to get a good drive by, shot off. like they are use to at home.

LMOA I was just curious as fairbanks and the people have always treated me great.

Pikes is nice but overrated IMO and trying to get around while the tourist are there is a pia. I think you could probably find someplace a little cheaper and a little more homey.

When I'm passing through Fairbanks on hunts we usually stay at the Captain Bartlett on Airport. Rates are not too bad considering that we are usually there in the "peak season" and they have a good bar. There are enough places to eat nearby and the movie theater is very close. Rooms aren't large or deluxe, but you will not be out of place toting a rifle case through the lobby.

The College Inn is a "classy" place
    Josh
    Back in Afghanistan, I hope for the last time.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast