Thread: cast bullet manual

Default cast bullet manual

Where do you guys get all your load data for cast bullets?
    Is there a good manual out there that's mainly for cast bullets?
    Read lots of writings here and there, but looking for good manual that targets
    load data for casts.

The Lyman manual is a good one. They also have a separate cast bullet manual, which although it hasn't been updated in many years, is still a very good resource.

And generally speaking, you can usually use data for jacketed bullets of the same weight. Naturally there are always exceptions and the standard rule applies--start low and work up. Sometimes something you didn't anticipate can jump up and bite you in the butt.

Good luck,
    Mike

I use the Lyman and the NRA also has some good information in their Handloaders Guide. For what it is worth, I use 21 gr. of 4195 as a load in all my standard center fire rifle cases (270, 7x57, 280, 308, 3006). Gas checked bullets and doesn't seem to matter what the weight is. I also use sizing-lubercating dies that leave the bullets unsized. I can usually get 1" 5 shot groups at 100 yds with my cast bullets. Store bought cast bullets do not shoot nearly as well as my home made ones. I use wheel weight metal. Works for me. J.

Quote Originally Posted by OldRgr View Post
    For what it is worth, I use 21 gr. of 4195 as a load in all my standard center fire rifle cases
    Do you mean 4895 or 4198?

Mike

Sorry. Mistyped. 4198. J.

Not a problem. I'm just starting out loading for the .30-30, and I was thinking about trying some 4198 so your post grabbed my attention. I was thinking about 18-20 grains of 4198 might be a good place to start with that powder, and your post reinforces that.

Thanks!
    Mike

Quote Originally Posted by MikeT View Post
    Not a problem. I'm just starting out loading for the .30-30, and I was thinking about trying some 4198 so your post grabbed my attention. I was thinking about 18-20 grains of 4198 might be a good place to start with that powder, and your post reinforces that.

Thanks!
    Mike
    H4895 is better than 4198 in 30-30. H4895 is all I will load a 30-30 with anymore although I have not tried some of the newest powders out now. H4895 will flat bring a 30-30 to life and make you think it's a big gun, try it.

Andy

Sorry, I should've clarified that I was talking cast bullets. I've actually got some IMR-4895 that I'm going to use for some full power loads with the 170 grain cast bullets I have, but I was thinking of using the 4198 for lighter loads.

Cutty, I apologize--I didn't mean to sidetrack your thread.

Mike

Hey! If I look thru this empty beer bottle, I think I can see Russia from here!!!

you might want to give the Winchester powders a try for cast bullet / 30-30 loads. I use Win 748 for the 150 grainers and Win 760 for the 180 grain bullets. Accuracy is quite good and velocity is very near to 2000 fps which is just below my personal cut off velocity for cast bullets. The Winchester powders are all ball, so it makes meetering thru a powder dispenser easy and fairly precise.

Also, if you pick up one of the "one cartridge load books" you know the cheap looking ring binder things that they sell for like $7? Anyway, they generaly also contain load data for various cast bullets from RCBS and Lyman.
    “You’ve gotten soft. You’re like one of those police dogs who’s released in to the wild and gets eaten by a deer or something.” Bill McNeal of News Radio

Quote Originally Posted by cutty View Post
    Where do you guys get all your load data for cast bullets?
    Is there a good manual out there that's mainly for cast bullets?
    Read lots of writings here and there, but looking for good manual that targets
    load data for casts.

What bullet what caliber? Also do you mean plinker loads or full blown bear loads or something in between. Th Hodgdons annual magazine loading data is likely the best source for big bore revolvers and heavy LBT style hard cast bullet loads. The Lyman cast bullet book for most calibers, rifle and handgun, for moderate loads.
    Is there nothing so sacred on this earth that you aren't willing to kill or die for?

Default 45 colt/335 cast

Murhp,
    Redhawk in 45 colt, looking for bear loads to carry while bowhunting.
    Trying to get down to 1100-1150 fps.
    Tried W296 and H110 in a 300 LFNGC, but was afraid to go lower in powder.
    I did pick up a pound of 2400 and some 335 WFNGC bullets.
    I have the annual Hodgdon's manual.
    And see 20.5 g of H110 for 335 LFNGC for 1109 fps.
    No 2400 loads though.
    Would like to stick to the 335 bullet and get some 2400 loads.
    I'll definitely pick up a pound of H4227 when I see it, but you know how that is
    these days.
    The Lyman's revolver manual doesn't have +P loads.

It sounds like that 20.5 grain load of H110 is just the ticket for you with that 335 grain bullet. Hopefully Murphy will check me on this, but I'd say something like 17 to 18 grains of 2400 might be good.

You also might send an email to Alliant--they've been very helpful to me in the past, and are more than willing to help you with specific load recommendations.

Mike

Thanks Mike,
    I plan on trying 3 rounds of the 20.5 with 110 this weekend.
    Also e-mailed Alliant for some 2400 info.

Default My load

I cast a 160 gr from wheel weight. Mold is by Lee, I use gas check, and size to .309, lube with Alox. Load is 33.0 gr. win 748. Any standard primer seems to work fine. Velocity over a Chroney averages 2100 out of a '94. Hunting accuracy. You can get more velocity but this bullet begins to fragment at anything more in velocity.