Thread: ocean boat on the big su

Default ocean boat on the big su

I was wondering from guys who know the river. I have a 21 foot fiberglass ocean boat with a semi-deep v hull. How feesable would it be to put in at say deshka landing and motor all the way out to the inlet then on into anchorage? Is there enough water for the boat or would I be hung up on bottom all the time. thanks

Thumbs down Odds are not real good

I guess if the river water levels were sky high, you were really, really, good at reading and following the channel, and you were ****ed and determined to do it, its probably possible.
    After running the BIg Su untold times for about 25 years I myself would not attempt it with the boat you are talking about. There maybe some out there who would say no problem, but I am not one of them. Too many variables and unknowns, the least of which would be running aground. I'd find a more suitable location to enjoy that boat.

'technically' do-able, but like bigShow said, if you mess up, you're gonna pay......I've seen some huge boats out there but never a glass one...the trickiest part will probably be the tidal area down low...
    ------------------------------------------------
    pull my finger....

Default second that opinion

my dad had a 21 ft wooldridge deep sea model and we would launch from the harbor and go across to the big su and at high tide the water is like three feet deep at most for about a mile offshore. you gotta know the channels and you gotta watch the clock. the tide turns fast over there and on numerous occasions we would be high and dry.

Chugiak, Alaska, United States, United States

nooooooooooo !!!!!!!!!!!

Default It depends on what your doing

I have seen boats of all shape and sizes including large commercial fishing boats but I have to ask.... Why? As the others say, one silly mistake and your done. If your serious about it, make sure Deshka landing is as high as it can normally be and time your trip to hit high tide in the inlet, otherwise, you'll just litter the big sue. Wouldn't be the first time we pulled folks off sand/gravel bars... Enjoy.

Yeah, I'm not serious about it, just wondered if it was do-able. I didn't know how much water was in the river. I had the boat up and down the upper kasilof without any trouble, so I thought I'd post the question.
    Thanks.....

No way. If the water is low you are screwed because even some of the channels are shallow. If the water is high, you'll never be able to stay in the channel. I've ran the many times and have always been caught in the shallows.

Default How familiar...

Im guessing you are not fimiliar with the channels on the big sue. If you have'nt ran it in a river boat, definately dont try it with an ocean boat. I have witnessed a propped dual outboard boat going as far as a couple miles below the entrance of the Yetna once. Only it was a large carolina skiff coming to tow me back to the landing. First time out for the season and water mixed in fuel was the issue. Anyhow the operater of the skiff knows the channels well, so he took a chance to tow me using props.

Default Why

I been to Anchorage twice from the Su in 21 years. The first time I swore I'd never would do it again and the second time just prove I had a short memory.
    The Mouth changes all the time, you would have to run out on high tide which would mean that if you hit a sand bar you would be there for awhile. Then when the tide came back in you would just hope that it would not roll you over.

Better to think about other things than how you can make a good day bad.
    Last edited by LuJon; 03-21-2009 at 09:18. Reason: see post below

Chugiak, Alaska, United States, United States

yea ive been there done that too. the big su delta is so vast its hard to differentiate it from the inlet itslef. even at high tide i remember stumps and snags sticking out of the water. the channel all the way to the west seemed to be the best where east of big island was just nervwrecking. the inlet itself can be a very nasty place as well. came out of the little su once and got smacked around by three 6-7 footers, prompted me to turnaround and go back up the little su. 7 footers might not sound big to the bigger boat guys but when you are only in 8 feet of water 7 footers are a problem.

Default Not Encouraging But

Definitely doable, I would bring a sat phone, spare prop, lower unit or outdrive, fiberglass & resin lol . Boat of choice would probably be a V8 powered inboard jetboat. I've seen fiberglass bowpickers stashed in Flathorn Lake for the winter, jet drive thou. If memory serves me correctly, (attached photo) this is the boat that has been stored at the mouth of Alexander Creek for several years. Definitely less water the higher you go. Probably not the adventure for the novice.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Remember folks people from all over the state and world come to this site. If one of your loved ones was killed in a tragic accident I am sure that you wouldn't want to log in here to find people poking fun at them. Bad decisions abound in the Alaska outdoors, and there is a good chance that this land will kill you for your mistakes.