Thread: Kahtoola Traction System

Thumbs up Kahtoola Traction System

The ice on the trails has been so bad here in the valley I decided that my 6 point crampons needed an *upgrade*. I did not want the aggressive glacier crampons that are sold all over the place. I went to AMH in Los Anchorage and talked myself into a set of the KTS. I had my first try our on them today on a lightly used trail with a partially packed trail and spots of glaciated ice at a fairly step angle. These steel points dug in great and I am totally impressed. I can't wait to try Lazy Mountain in the next few days!
    Attached Images Attached Images
    "...and then Jack chopped down the beanstock, adding murder and ecological vandalism to the theft, enticement and vandalism charges already mentioned, but he got away with it and lived happily ever after without so much as a guilty twinge about what he had done. Which proves that you can be excused just about anything if you're a hero, because no one asks the inconvenient questions." Terry Pratchett's The Hogfather

Interesting. I was thinking of picking up their Microspikes to toss in my pack "just in case" while out on cold month hikes. A few summers ago I had to descend about 50 yards down a steep, narrow ridge that was covered in packed snow. Nothing but snow & a few thousand feet of nothingness down either side, and that's the first time I wished I had traction & some poles.
    Tsimshian tribe, wolf clan, the house of Walsk.

Quote Originally Posted by Wolfeye View Post
    Interesting. I was thinking of picking up their Microspikes to toss in my pack "just in case" while out on cold month hikes. A few summers ago I had to descend about 50 yards down a steep, narrow ridge that was covered in packed snow. Nothing but snow & a few thousand feet of nothingness down either side, and that's the first time I wished I had traction & some poles.
    I picked up a pair of the microspikes last fall. I've only had to use them a couple of times, but they worked really well for me- worth the dough.