Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: 42 lb Rainbow caught in Alaska ?? (picture)

Default 42 lb Rainbow caught in Alaska ?? (picture)

Found this online just now and thought I would pass it on. Winter time and all.

A 42 lb rainbow (supposedely, some suggest a well feed steelhead) was caught on Bell Island, Alaska in 1970 so says the article.

But the pic below is a 43 lb monster caught at a lake in Canada in the summer of 2007.

Be sure to read the attached article below the picture for information about the fish. Hint, genetically altered...

http://flyfishing.about.com/b/2007/09/29/19.htm
    The two loudest sounds known to man: a gun that goes bang when it is supposed to go click and a gun that goes click when it is supposed to go bang.

I saw that fish and the article on it last year. Big fish but kind of ugly and no color. Would be a heck of a fight on a 5wt though
    Grandkids, Making big tough guys hearts melt at first sight

I pretty sure their was an article about this in Field and stream magazine about a year ago. Genetically altered breedor from a hatchery in canada. Their were a couple of them that were accidentally released.

Bell Island Steelhead was caught in salt water, not on the island.

Check out the Alaska State records

http://www.alaskansportsman.com/fish...e/trophy.shtml

Comparing that pellet fed triploid to the bell island steelhead is like comparing a texas ranch feeder dall sheep to a brooks range full curl
    I choose to fly fish, not because its easy, but because its hard.

Quote Originally Posted by MikeL View Post

a couple of them that were accidentally released.

Perhaps not.

Read something online that suggested a boost for the local economy. Been a while since I read it, but it was logical. I suspect more than one person has taken a fishen trip to this lake since the 43 pounder was caught (and highly publicized).
    The two loudest sounds known to man: a gun that goes bang when it is supposed to go click and a gun that goes click when it is supposed to go bang.

That fish is a triploid rainbow, meaning it cannot reporduce this lets the fish spend all of their growth growing and not reporducing. All stocked rainbows in open systems in this state are triploids.

Quote Originally Posted by ak_powder_monkey View Post
    That fish is a triploid rainbow, meaning it cannot reporduce this lets the fish spend all of their growth growing and not reporducing. All stocked rainbows in open systems in this state are triploids.

God we could only hope

Below is some info I found from a Canadian newspaper that is from 2006. Long story short, 500,000 genetically altered rainbows escaped from a hatchery into the lake. Very convenient accident for the local businessmen

"Sean admits they have had success on Lake Diefenbaker because of the large number of rainbow trout that escaped from the CanGro Fish Farm back in 2000.

"The first two years (after the fish escaped) were awesome, and now it's been really slowing down a lot," says Sean. "Now it's actually getting hard to catch the rainbows."

And the number of rainbow trout on Lake Diefenbaker, especially the larger ones, will continue to decline over the long-term, says Kevin Fitzsimonds, a conservation officer with Saskatchewan Environment.

"These trout were all females, so there should be no natural reproduction of the trout," says Fitzsimonds. "Eventually they'll all die out. Therefore the lake should revert back to native species."

As many as half a million rainbow trout escaped from the CanGro farm --now called Wildwest Steelhead -- when ice on Lake Diefenbaker sliced through fish containment nets.

Fitzsimonds adds that the natural life-span of rainbow trout in Lake Diefenbaker is at most 20 years, therefore the size and weight of the fish will eventually start to decline.

"When they escaped, the fish grew tremendously fast, as much as several pounds a year," says Fitzsimonds. "I would suspect that that (33 lb. size) is going to be the upper limit. Fish tend to get to a certain size, and then they plateau at that level and begin dying off."

Though it is common for rainbow trout in larger bodies of water like Lake Superior to weigh 25 lbs., Fitzsimonds says people shouldn't expect these record-breaking catches on Lake Diefenbaker to be a long-term trend.

Despite the odds that the rainbow trout population will continue to decline in Lake Diefenbaker, Sean and his brother plan on a few more record-setting catches."

I'm in total agreement. Some things should not be allowed to spawn

Yeah I've seen photos of these fish....they even have their own wesite. www.fishinggeeks.net

I agree, these are some pretty ugly fish IMO. They just don't look right.

Fish On!
    You know your not catching any fish when you start talking about the weather...

http://www.alaskansalmonslayers.com/

Comparing that pellet fed triploid to the bell island steelhead is like comparing a texas ranch feeder dall sheep to a brooks range full curl
    Well said akpm. Not only are those big fat trout freakishly ugly, but I think considering those triploid escapees for the record books is totally screwed up. I can't believe they verified that genetically engineered breeding stock anomaly as the world record. It's asinine. It’s no different than all the BS associated with game farm hunting for fenced animals just so someone can get their name in a record book. Man that ticks me off.

Oh no… I feel… a rant… coming on… beer has… fueled… feelings of… moral superiority… must… resist... must... close… browser before… things get… out of hand…
    Pursue happiness with diligence.

Quote Originally Posted by Wyo2AK View Post

I can't believe they verified that genetically engineered breeding stock anomaly as the world record.

Same here man. It should have a Barry Bonds * beside it

Quote Originally Posted by Wyo2AK View Post
    Well said akpm. Not only are those big fat trout freakishly ugly, but I think considering those triploid escapees for the record books is totally screwed up. I can't believe they verified that genetically engineered breeding stock anomaly as the world record. It's asinine. It’s no different than all the BS associated with game farm hunting for fenced animals just so someone can get their name in a record book. Man that ticks me off.
    One of the reasons I hate the IGFA, another is the fact that the state record halibut is larger than the world record. Also I wish P&Y and B&C would come out with a public land record book, because quite frankly I don't give a dang how big of a whitetail (or rainbow in this case) you can grow.

I do know there are real, wild rainbows and steelhead that are bigger than that one out there and its a shame that for a real fish to take its place in the record book its gonna be given the rock shampoo and put on someone's mantle.

What's a matter monkey, haven't perfected tying a pattern that mimics Purina trout chow?

Actualy I remember AKPM talking about fish a fish pellet fly around the pens full of stockers.
    It ain't about the # of pounds of meat we bring back, nor about how much we spent to go do it. Its about seeing what no one else sees.

http://wouldieatitagainfoodblog.blogspot.com/

Quote Originally Posted by upstream View Post
    What's a matter monkey, haven't perfected tying a pattern that mimics Purina trout chow?

That funny. Puppy chow fly. tie something up AKPM. Id love to see a puppy chow fly. The we could send it to america and let them have fun with that crap. Your pretty good at tying flies. i bet you can come up with something

Quote Originally Posted by alaskachuck View Post
    That funny. Puppy chow fly. tie something up AKPM. Id love to see a puppy chow fly. The we could send it to america and let them have fun with that crap. Your pretty good at tying flies. i bet you can come up with something
    Actually Chuck, it's been done.

I don't have an original thought in my head.

I used to fish a stocked stream in SE Oklahoma. So as a joke, some guys tied a puppy chow fly and a kernal of corn fly.

Quote Originally Posted by garnede View Post
    Actualy I remember AKPM talking about fish a fish pellet fly around the pens full of stockers.
    There's a river in Colorado that monster pellet filled trout reside in (probably more than one, lol), I have heard numerous people talk about pellet flies for there. The pigs in that river look just like the pigs those Canada guys catch, super super slimy, no color to them, just big fat pigs. Granted the ones in CO really are just pets of a rich rancher that happen to live in a public stream

I've caught triploids in washington....not near that big. WDFW stocks them in many lakes down there.

BTW, they taste like crap and hardly fight at all.
    Nice Marmot.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast