Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: What would you do?

Default What would you do?

http://juneauempire.com/stories/0317...10751607.shtml

My first reaction would not have been the same as the guy's in the article.

Thumbs down we need to call SFW-A...

& get some choppers and gunners, & hell bring in some kids, in Juneau, & protect the deer herd from maurading dogs! Time to open up Intesive management techniques to cull loose pets that ravage wildlife, because we need to protect the people who put FOOD on thier tables!

Default While growing up on the farm

in Michigan, I faced a similar situation. In Michigan it is illegal to let your dogs chase wildlife (unless you are hunting and licensed to do so with dogs). I was doing some work in one of our barns and noticed a deer running across one of the fields towards the barn. I then saw two dogs in hot pursiut. I grabbed our varmit gun and fired a couple rounds in front of the dogs and they ran off. The next day about the same time of day, I saw the same two dogs chasing another deer across our field. I grabbed the rifle, sat down on a piece of equipment and dropped both dogs. I then called animal control who came out with the sheriff. By the time they arrived the dogs owner was there threatening to sue me for killing his dogs. After I explained to the sheriff what happened and he did an investigation, the dogs owner was fined for letting his dogs chase wildlife.

I didn't feel good about killing the dogs but if I hadn't they would have only got worse and could have started after nieghbors farm animals.

Also from Michigan and raised on a horse ranch that also had dogs, chickens, ducks, cows, rabbits and a bazillion barn cats. We had no problem droping dogs that chased livestock or deer. Really don't like that some Alaskans have no problem letting there dogs run all day. Its irresponsible and dangerous for the dog, wildlife and the people who live around you. I always keep mine on a leash, in a run or in the house.

I personally would have gave the dogs a warning shot then started dropping the ones that didn't clear off.
    BHA Member
    Bowyer to the forces of light in the land of the midnight sun.
    The 3 fold way: Every step we take as we walk through life effects, our family, our comunity and ourselves. One should walk thoughtfuly.

I know that if I have a gun handy & see a domestic animal attacking wildlife the domestic animal is going down. I grew up in farm & ranch country in the west & dogs don't get many 2nd chances there.
    Vance in AK.

Matthew 6:33
    "But seek first the kingdom of God and His righteousness, and all these things shall be added to you."

Obviously the owners dont care much about their dogs to let them run free like that. It's against the law and dangerous for the dogs. I recall a couple winters ago the Wolf up at the glacier grabbed a couple loose dogs and drug em off right in front of the owners. Pretty amazing though how thousands of years of repressed instict comes out when dogs are in a pack.

In NWAK villages, we just shoot any loose dog, on sight, no questions asked.
    If you can't Kill it with a 30-06, you should Hide.

"Dam it all", The Beaver told me.....

I'd dust em' too, but not in the city-limits of Juneau. I believe down there you get into a bit of trouble for discharging firearms within the city-limits (which are huge). I seem to remember a large bear problem that probably still exists because of the same laws. I may be wrong though, it wouldn't be the first time!

I love my dogs, so they are leashed when outside. Unless it is an appropriate area where they can't harass anyone or anything, other than me.

Hopefully someone will recognize the animals and the owners will have to deal with the authorities, but I'm doubtful any charges will stick. Maybe the same dogs will go after a moose and get the crap stomped-out of them?

-J

Default Wild animals is right

Yes they are still animals. I have kicked myself a dozen times for just scaring a black lab off a doe it was chasing. He had a red collar on and that made me think a bit. I guess I am getting soft.

What about that "tame" monkey who just attacked that old woman's friend? Took her face off and started eating her. Real good pet???

Yeah, discharging firearms within 1/4 mile of the road in City/Borough of Juneau is a Class B misdemeanor [except using a shotgun on the wetlands, where this occurred].

It's really too bad they took down the comments section on that story; there were several comments to the effect of the "dogs were just doing what they do" and one even went so far as to say that if that person were the owner, they would give the dogs a treat for being such a good hunter. And no, that wasn't a joke, because that person went on to say they would have no problem dropping a dog if it mauled a child...

I'm guessing that they took down the comments section because the comments had taken a "the dog catcher is a Nazi" sort of direction...

Default Put em down

If owners can't keep control of their pets they don't deserve for them to go home. i hated having to shoot them back home. they would pack up and kill as many sheep out of a band as they could just for the pleasure of it. 10-50. It got s bad that the rancher that had the ranch next to us used to pay a bounty on them. 90% had collars! sad deal.

Default Archers, Ready....

Quote Originally Posted by jay51 View Post
    I believe down there you get into a bit of trouble for discharging firearms within the city-limits (which are huge).
    Quote Originally Posted by Dr.No View Post
    Yeah, discharging firearms within 1/4 mile of the road in City/Borough of Juneau is a Class B misdemeanor [except using a shotgun on the wetlands, where this occurred].

I dont think that a Bow is considered a fire arm

Default When I was a kid

a game warden told my dad and me to shoot any dog we saw in the woods (nearest neighbor was 3 miles away).
    Have never had one tell me different since.
    Mike
    Mike
    www.alaskaatvclub.org
    There is a faster way off the mountain, might hurt a little though.

Frank Rue,who called this in ,is former Comissioner of F&G.

Default according to the ADN...

the dogs are loose again...need to call Sarah Palin & let her know Intensive management techniques are needed in her own home town...er ahhh, her work town...

Default Snowmachine

I was once out on my sled when a couple of dogs stepped out in front of me. One stood his ground in the trail while the other came around to flank me. While the one was trying to bite my leg I hit full throttle and did a crazy wheelie right over the top of the one that was in front of me. I can't believe the stupid thing was able to crawl away, I should have turned around and finished him off. Dogs have no place running around in packs.

I long ago reached the conclusion that people that let their pets run loose have an IQ of about 25 when it comes to their pets. Just can't see the problems they cause.
    In addition there seam to be 3 things that will get neighbors mad at each other every single time; loud "music/noise" at unreasonable hours, letting kids run unsupervised and letting pets run loose. Sorry, but the guy next door doesn't have to put up with any of those.

Default traps!!

I was at the flatts rabbit hunting back in October and talked to a guy that was pissed off about finding one of his dogs in someones snare dead. Just the thought of my dog getting caught and killed in a snare is enough to scare me out of letting my dogs roam at will. Not to mention the wolves. It is unfortunate for the dog but the guy got just what he was asking for. I dont blame people for shooting dogs. They really can be distructive when not controlled.
    "A dog has no use for fancy cars or big homes or designer clothes. Status symbol means nothing to him. A waterlogged stick will do just fine." Marley and Me

I have two problem dogs (hound airedale cross) running deer on my farm. The owner lives 3/4 mile west of me and the dogs have to cross 3 fences to reach my place. I have even got them on my trail camera. After watching them chase deer, I called animal control. The officer said he knew of the dogs and would have to Sheriff issue a warning. He then concluded with the fact that he knows the owners would not comply and that if they were on my property again, to shoot and bury them and tell no one. Western Justice as he put it. I hate to do that, but I also hate to see them on my place chasing deer or one day attacking my dogs.

My .243 would have been barking at those dogs.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast