Thread: Fishing in Ketchikan?

Default Fishing in Ketchikan?

Hello! I have a question about fishing trips in Ketchikan. My boyfriend and I will be in town during the last weekend in May (coming off of a cruise ship)...and I was hoping I could send him on a fishing trip. We're supposed to be there 7am-1pm.
    My question(s): Is the fishing any good at the end of May? And would it be better to go out on a charter or fly fishing?
    Thank you!!!

The end of May is usually in the midst of the king salmon run, and a fly fish trip would be good if the mtn lakes have thawed. Either/or.

Quote Originally Posted by bluemoon4515 View Post
    Hello! I have a question about fishing trips in Ketchikan. My boyfriend and I will be in town during the last weekend in May (coming off of a cruise ship)...and I was hoping I could send him on a fishing trip. We're supposed to be there 7am-1pm.
    My question(s): Is the fishing any good at the end of May? And would it be better to go out on a charter or fly fishing?
    Thank you!!!
    Drive out to Ward Lake (Ward Creek)....I've caught steelhead there in early May!

Default Ketchikan fishing

There are plenty of charter fishing guides. The only problem is that they mostly troll. (Not too exciting sitting in a boat with 6 other people waiting for one of the poles you are not holding to catch a salmon.) Mooching and jigging is better. There are a few charters that will mooch or jig for salmon. If you are up to it, there is kayak fishing. No motor, just paddle literally minutes away from the boat launch and catch those salmon and halibut. Go to www.ketchikankayakco.com to check it out. Howard is an excellent kayak fisherman, and well known in the kayak fishing community. They will pick you up at the cruise ship dock and drive north of town and kayak fish, then get you back to the ship before you have to leave. It will be the best 4 and a half hours of your life.

A 7am - 1pm port time will only allow for a 4-hour trip. This is the typical "tourist trap charter"... I'll be on the n/b Carnival Spirit in KTN that same weekend, and personally, I wouldn't get on one of those trips even if they paid me. Then again, I'm a bit biased, aren't I?

Happy Alaska Travels!
    -Case
    M/V CanCan - 34' SeaWolf - Bandon, OR
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Default cruise ship fishing

I agree that most of the charters are "tourist trap charters", but that's why I suggested kayak fishing. It's a different experience, and it's not a "typical" fishing charter.

I have lived in Ketchikan six years and I have driven the buses that haul out the fisherman from the dock to the fishing boats. Most of them have pleasant experiences, but for a seasoned fisherman, it would not be the best. I try not to troll, but cast, mooch, and jig for salmon and halibut.

Heck, if you want a unique fishing experience, drive to Herring Cove and snag kings at the beach. Nothing more adrenaline pumping than to fight a pissed off 40# king that has been snagged with a weighted treble hook! And at the same time, watch out for bears lurking around. Snagging in the salt is not as easy as one might think.

The point is, there are many options when choosing a fishing experence. Just choose something you want to do. Talk to others and then decide. Just my 0.02 worth.

What is Mooching?

Great Falls Montana and Coffman Cove Alaska

If you like to eat fish, I would suggest a charter targeting halibut. I would think that they would process the fish, including vacuum packing and then send it Fed Ex to your home after it was frozen. There is no finer eating. Do not let anyone tell you they are not fun to catch. The added bonus is you may get to see a humpback much closer than any you saw on the cruise ship. I would encourage you to join him. Enjoy your trip to Alaska. It is a wonderful state!

If your cruise ships stops in Sitka after Ketchikan; wait until Sitka to do your fishing.

Quote Originally Posted by Anythingalaska View Post
    If your cruise ships stops in Sitka after Ketchikan; wait until Sitka to do your fishing.
    I agree - you will be closer to potentially really good fishing in Sitka, which is a big advantage given the time constraints.

Big_E

By the way; lucky guy! I wish my girlfriend would send me on a fishing trip in Alaska.

Book a trip with Baranoff Fishing at the dock behind the Fish House. Bottom fishing trips. Go out and fish for Halibut and other bottom fish or book a lunch trip where you just go out and catch a couple rock fish and then go to a remote beach and have them cooked up around the camp fire.

Take a look ... scroll down and take a look at late May dates. Fishing is good in late May.

http://exclusivealaska.com/blog/

and they will get you back by ramp up.