Results 1 to 13 of 13

Thread: Interior Fishing Suggestions

  1. #1
    Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Location
    Sterling
    Posts
    57

    Default Interior Fishing Suggestions

    This June I'll be taking a road trip up to Fairbanks and then down to Valdez and I am looking for some pike and grayling fishing from the road system or guide recommendations.
    Any suggestions would be appreciated.
    I would also consider a trip for trip trade, I live in Sterling and could take you out on the Kenai.

    RD

  2. #2
    Member alaskachuck's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2007
    Location
    Anchorage, Alaska, United States
    Posts
    3,256

    Default

    Id take a little detour down the denali highway at paxson. 20 Miles to tangle lakes and the tangle river. Easy access from the shore and lots of shore. Not huge grayling but lots of them. Rock Creek is a nice stream also
    Grandkids, Making big tough guys hearts melt at first sight

  3. #3
    Member nibenza's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Location
    Anchorage
    Posts
    167

    Default Clearwater

    I'd be glad to take you up the Delta Cleawater for Fin Critters if you are in Delta while I'm off the slope.
    Life is tough........it's alot tougher if you're stupid.

  4. #4
    Member ak_powder_monkey's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Location
    Eagle River/ Juneau
    Posts
    5,154

    Default

    clear stream + dry fly = grayling
    I choose to fly fish, not because its easy, but because its hard.

  5. #5

    Wink

    Quote Originally Posted by ak_powder_monkey View Post
    clear stream + dry fly = grayling
    Not true. Many of the clear water tributaries are sterile and absent of fish entirely. But the others have given some good advice for this route.
    "96% of all Internet Quotes are suspect and the remaining 4% are fiction."
    ~~Abraham Lincoln~~

  6. #6
    Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Location
    Sterling
    Posts
    57

    Default

    Thanks for replying guys.

    nidenza I will let you know when I will be in your area, thanks.

    RD

  7. #7
    Member bigcox's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Location
    Kotzebue, Alaska
    Posts
    1,397

    Default

    If you are here in Fairbanks, you can try the Badger Slough out in North Pole. You'd be able to get into Grayling, and possibly a pike while fishing there. There are numerous places you can fish along Badger Road. You might see a person or two, but definently worth a try if you are in the area.

    Fish On!
    You know your not catching any fish when you start talking about the weather...


    http://www.alaskansalmonslayers.com/

  8. #8
    Member BlueMoose's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Location
    Rifle River MI
    Posts
    1,835

    Default 50 Mile CHSR

    Well if you'rs gong ot be in and around Squarebanks for more than a couple of hours take a trip to the Upper Chena starting at Angle Rocks and work your way down to about mile 24 Rose Hip camp ground. You will find more than ample road side fishing for Grayling along the way. Fish the Turn outs and key on the rock walls the Grayling tend use that deeper water and protection to their advantage. June is a great month for chasing them on CHSR concerning fly fishing that is Carpenter Ants normally are getting started and it makes for some fun fishing.

    If you have a Mil I.D. or access to Eielson you can fish Pike on Base not exactly true Alaskan Sport Fishing however Pike to 12 lbs are caught at a couple of Lakes located between housing units.

    If you were talking June I would suggest other road side fishing however in June the Chena is fine.

    Best Wishes and Tight Lines

    Blue Moose

  9. #9
    Member nibenza's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Location
    Anchorage
    Posts
    167

    Default You won't be disappointed.

    We caught some nice Grayling in there last year. Not just us, ask Jedi Salmon Slayer. I believe he has a video out there somewhere to wet your whistle.
    Life is tough........it's alot tougher if you're stupid.

  10. #10

    Talking Clearwater Creek

    The Clearwater Creek out of Delta Junction has become the new PRIMERE Grayling Roadside Fishery. Easy access and real close to services, make it desirable for some. It is not one of the hard to fish areas.
    "96% of all Internet Quotes are suspect and the remaining 4% are fiction."
    ~~Abraham Lincoln~~

  11. #11

    Default PM sent

    Sent to you regarding Chena river grayling fishing.

  12. #12
    Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Location
    Soldotna, AK
    Posts
    108

    Default

    Road Dog, if i remember correctly Tangle Lakes has an RV sized parking lot. It would probablly say in the Milepost book. Hap
    USN Seabee '90-'95, NRA Life Member

  13. #13

    Thumbs up

    Quote Originally Posted by Happy View Post
    Road Dog, if i remember correctly Tangle Lakes has an RV sized parking lot. It would probablly say in the Milepost book. Hap
    Three that I am aware of. This place can accomdate hundreds of vehicles at any time. The last time I was there, I would estimate approximately 75 to 80 vehicles or campers in the lots.
    "96% of all Internet Quotes are suspect and the remaining 4% are fiction."
    ~~Abraham Lincoln~~

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •