Thread: Fly fishing from Anchorage to Denali

Default Fly fishing from Anchorage to Denali

You guys have been great about giving me advice concerning my trip from August 5thth the 14th. It's the Alaska hospitality I remember well. I have a pretty good idea about spots to fish on the Kenai, but I am not really that knowledge about the Denali area. I will be traveling by RV on the 6th to Denali and fishing on the way back to Anchorage and then down to the Kenai. I also have just received the 2009 Milepost, the Flyfishers Guide to Alaska, and a book called the Highway Guide To Fishing in Alaska. I have plenty of reading to do

When I was last in the Anchorage area in 1963 to 1964, there was no Park Road to Denali from Anchorage. I remember flying in to the Deska River in June for a week long float trip for Kings. Is that river still productive? I have been told by a friend to try the Little Su and Willow Creek. Willow Creek is supposedly better for fly fishing.
    Any ideas?
    Nick

Default couple of books

There are a couple more books that I think would help you out pretty good. They are both written by Gunnar Pedersen, and are both available through the bookstore on this site. The fist one is called the Highway Angler, and the second is the Alaska Roadside Angler's Guide. I have both of these books, and I like the second one a little more, but both are great. They are the like the Milepost of fishing, giving all sorts of info like run timing, what species are available, exact location of the water, and suggested flies/lures. It is great to be able to hear about a certain fishery, then break out the Angler's Guide, find said fishery in the index, and have all the info to get you started right at your fingertips.

Jake
    All the romance of trout fishing exists in the mind of the angler and is in no way shared by the fish.

reading the regs can be really helpful to learning where to fish, for instance is a river is single hook artificial only and C&R rainbow trout or grayling typically it has good rainbow and grayling fishing in it, if its open to kings typically its got some kings in it.
    I choose to fly fish, not because its easy, but because its hard.

Just to echo what Jake said, both of the books by Gunnar Pedersen are excellent. They break everything down for you from timing to terminal tackle. They truly are great resources.

Proudly Serving Since 1997
    The circle is complete again, finally. The force is once again balanced!
    "Only a Sith deals in absolutes in regards to fishing!"

++1 on Gunnar Pederson

Got some books by Gunnar and all are wonderful. "Alaska Fishing" was my first book by him and still one of my favorites. Well written with great pictures. Tons of info. I recently ordered his book on the Kenai from the forum book store. Can't wait to get that one in and start reading.
    The two loudest sounds known to man: a gun that goes bang when it is supposed to go click and a gun that goes click when it is supposed to go bang.

Quote Originally Posted by danattherock View Post
    ++1 on Gunnar Pederson

Got some books by Gunnar and all are wonderful. "Alaska Fishing" was my first book by him and still one of my favorites. Well written with great pictures. Tons of info. I recently ordered his book on the Kenai from the forum book store. Can't wait to get that one in and start reading.

I live here and have the Kenai book Dan. It still helps pass some long winter hours no matter how many times I have read it
    Grandkids, Making big tough guys hearts melt at first sight