Thread: Whittier launches

Default Whittier launches

The last trip I made to whittier I noticed a boat ramp on the east end of town, no dock. Anyone know if it is usable to the public and if the same fee applies?

Launch fee is the same rate as the other two. My opinion is its better to launch there when its icy. Fee has gone up 2 or 3 bucks every year since 2002.

Whitter is the most expensive place to launch a boat. I do belive Whitter will loose a few customers due to the high price of parking and launching.
    Living the Alaskan Dream
    Gary Keller
    Anchorage, AK

Default Fees

Between parking, launching, camping and tunnel fees it is for sure not the most economical place to fish. The ramps,docks and crowd leave alot to be desired. The only thing going for it is its close.

Considering they have been going up the last couple years I wonder if there is yet another hike in store for us next spring. It is getting rediculous. Between Tunnel, Park, and Launch it is $50 and that is if you are only running for the day and not staying in the campground. Goes up again I may be making the drive to Seward, just more time on the road, but $50 compared to $5 and a few more gallons of gas (not $45 worth of gas either).

yeah Tunnel fee I $35
    parking $10
    Launch $20

$65 before your boat hits the water. Crazy. In the end Whitter will suffer I do belive when people start heading to Seward. Just a little further driveing but ends up being cheaper.

If it goes up next I will have to rethink on going to Whitter?
    Living the Alaskan Dream
    Gary Keller
    Anchorage, AK

I wonder if it would be worth calling and protesting!!
    ... aboard the 'Memory Maker' Making Memories one Wave at a Time!

somebody is getting rich over this and it isn't me!!!!!!
    Living the Alaskan Dream
    Gary Keller
    Anchorage, AK

FYI,

Valdez is $5 per launch, $50 for season launch pass and transient annual moorage is $20 per foot per year.

Default Seward vs. Whittier

I held a slip in Whittier since 1981, sold the big boat in 2001 and moved off the day the tunnel opened to traffic. Gave up the slip and been trailering a smaller boat (26 Osprey) since but have to chuckle at this thread. I bought a house in Seward this summer so looks like at least one long time Whittier fan is moving out. Seward charges something like $110/yr. for launch fees and parking for the whole season, has decent ramps, even has restaurants with good food! Water isn't as good, but what the hey! For a day boat operation, suits me fine. See you all in Seward next year.

By the way, I went out of Whittier this past weekend for deer and the east launch ramp hasn't been replaced, some patches but that's about it. With the high fees, they ought to do something better but likely waiting for it to fall apart completely then run to the State for funds like they've done in the past.