Thread: AR15/22LR Conversion Kits

Default AR15/22LR Conversion Kits

I'm looking for advice on the various 22LR conversion kits for AR15s (CMMG is the one I'm looking at). Has anybody had either good or bad experience with them? Just looking for inexpensive ways to shoot the ARs.

Thanks everybody.

Arrow Reloading?

Can’t help on a conversion kit, I did not even know they made them and I'm shocked a 22lr would have enough gas to cycle an AR.

Anyway as for inexpensive the 223 is one of the least expensive rifle rounds to reload. If you’re not reloading you may want to think about it.

Andy

I have read about them but dont own one yet. I personally would go with the cmmg kit or the spikes tactical (modified ciener kit) if you are trying to go cheap.

Otherwise, if you want to actually do ~100+ yards i'd look into getting a dedicated .22 upper. Granted they run 300-500 but considering thats far more then a kit, its a decent price, especially since it comes with a barrel designed for .22 and not the 1-9 or 1-7 for .223

Personally, I am waiting on a 17hmr upper, but the odds of that are pretty low.

Ill probably end up getting the spikes kit lol.

I had a Ciener kit for my Colt, i dont know how many thousands of rounds I put through it. I actually shot it until something broke, they shipped me a new part and I kept shooting. Go for it, you wont be sorry.

Default Thanks

Thanks everybody - great feedback.

I hadn't really thought of the dedicated upper, but that's interesting. I found one on Gunbroker but it was more like $700.00. If I could find one of those $300.00 ones I'd be on it:>))

Glad to hear that the Cieners work well. I know I'd get aggrevated real quick if they weren't reliable.

Thanks again,
    Bob

I have a CMMG with the Balck dog Machine Magazine. I love it not once has it failed to feed or fire. I really like the Black Dog Machine Magazines as well. I fact if you order the kit from BDM he will throw in one of his magazines. It was $209 including shipping.
    Spike's Tactical also makes one as well. I have not known anyone to own one though. But I do like their other stuff.
    A freind of mine has the Ceiner/Atchinson. I have seen his fail to eject a couple of times and it was brand new.\
    Be careful though, you can go through a brick of .22 in less than an hour. They are a lot of fun and cheaper too. 500/ .22 for $16 VS. 500/.223 for $130.

I have a Colt conversion kit and have shot it a lot. Works fine at 25 yds. REM hi speed ammo.
    Best grouping seemed to be the 60 gr Aguila ammo though from my COLT hbar. Probably the 1/7 twist...

Advantage of the dedicated uppers is the correct bore size, and twist for 22LR. disdavantage is that you ahve to shoot more rounds to break even on the cost.

I found a dedicated 22 upper made by CZ for 400 bucks in a shop in Juneau. It shoots great and is a killer on ptarmigan. I love the dedicated upper. I bought a few 30 rd clips for it online. I shoot it way more than my .223 upper.

Thanks
    Carl

Quote Originally Posted by aufevermike View Post
    I have a CMMG with the Balck dog Machine Magazine. I love it not once has it failed to feed or fire. I really like the Black Dog Machine Magazines as well. I fact if you order the kit from BDM he will throw in one of his magazines. It was $209 including shipping.
    Spike's Tactical also makes one as well. I have not known anyone to own one though. But I do like their other stuff.
    A freind of mine has the Ceiner/Atchinson. I have seen his fail to eject a couple of times and it was brand new.\
    Be careful though, you can go through a brick of .22 in less than an hour. They are a lot of fun and cheaper too. 500/ .22 for $16 VS. 500/.223 for $130.

I have a Spike's complete .22 M4 style AR and one of their .22 kits in another rifle... I've never had a failure with either... I would recommend Spike's stuff to everyone that hasn't tried it!

- Clint
    /_|o[____]o
    [1---L-OllllllO-
    ()_)()_)=°°=)_)