Thread: Ruger M77 Hawkeye Tactical .308

Default Ruger M77 Hawkeye Tactical .308

Just got around to shooting this rifle today with a box of Black Hills 175gr HPBT Match ammo.

I haven't decided on a scope yet so I borrowed the Leupold VX-III 6.5-20x50LRT from my AR style .308.

After the normal routine of shoot and clean for the first ten rounds while zeroing the scope at 2" high at 100yards I started shooting groups between cleanings.

This rifle has a 20" heavy barrel with a 1:10 twist. I figured heavier .308 bullets should work out well, good guess...

The first four shot group at 100yards measured .210 center to center. I moved a target out to 200 yards and was pleasantly surprised at a three shot .580 group. Only 17 rounds were fired through this rifle today.

Ruger has had a bad rep for quality in the past. I think things are looking up. I am very pleased with this .308, I look forward to hand loading quality hunting bullets for some lower forty eight deer and elk.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Default "update please"

"UPDATE PLEASE" Ruger M77 Hawkeye Tactical .308

JFloat,

I've had some other projects going on lately. I've been helping some friends develop loads for their 375H&H, 300RUM, 308 Rem 700, 204 Ruger, 30-30 and 270 Win. I've always been the kind of guy that helps out and my stuff has fallen on the back burner. I'm getting caught up and plan to work with this rifle soon. I've picked up a few samples of bullets and plan to try Berger 175gr VLD first. I will update this post with results in a few weeks.

Overall I'm extremly pleased with this rilfes first few shots and look forward to tweaking with hand loads.

marshall

Very good groups and says a lot for Black Hills Ammo
    A GUN WRITER NEEDS:
    THE MIND OF A SCHOLAR
    THE HEART OF A CHILD
    THE HIDE OF A RHINOCEROS

Quote Originally Posted by beartooth View Post
    Very good groups and says a lot for Black Hills Ammo
    Interesting comment about Black Hills. I tried Hornady, Federal and Black Hills in my AR style .308 in 168gr and 175gr in their match grade ammo. My plan was to see which brand shot the best and improve that bullet with hand loads. Black Hills was the worst and Federal 175gr was the best.

The Hornady 168gr ammo shot very good groups, less than a half inch at 100 yards but it would not cycle the bolt in my AR. Every shot was a failed ejection. Federal shot 168gr and 175gr right at a 1/2 inch and had good ES and SD numbers. Black Hills was all over the place.

I had the Black Hills left over so I ran it through the Ruger bolt rifle and was pleasantly surprised with the groups in the picture.

I have read several good things about Black Hills but my gas gun rejected them. The bolt rifle says that it likes 175gr match Kings so I plan to develop a 175gr Berger VLD for my Elk Hunt in October.

I think I will try some 175gr bullets in my 30-06 Ruger and see if it likes them.
    A GUN WRITER NEEDS:
    THE MIND OF A SCHOLAR
    THE HEART OF A CHILD
    THE HIDE OF A RHINOCEROS

beartooth,

That's not a bad idea. The Tactical .308 from Ruger has a 1:10 twist just like your 30-06.

Quote Originally Posted by marshall View Post
    beartooth,

That's not a bad idea. The Tactical .308 from Ruger has a 1:10 twist just like your 30-06.
    Yes it does and I will have to order me some and see what happens.
    A GUN WRITER NEEDS:
    THE MIND OF A SCHOLAR
    THE HEART OF A CHILD
    THE HIDE OF A RHINOCEROS