Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 20 of 28

Thread: Charges Brought in Point Hope Caribou Slaughter

  1. #1
    Member DRIFTER_016's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Location
    Yellowknife, NWT
    Posts
    3,318

    Default Charges Brought in Point Hope Caribou Slaughter

    Good News
    ADN reports tonight that charges are being laid against 8 villagers over the wanton waste of caribou last July.
    Two thumbs up for the troopers


    http://www.adn.com/news/alaska/rural/story/725368.html

  2. #2

    Default

    These rascals need a real good talkin' to. Let's just hope it is a judge and not their grandpappy and uncle elder.
    "96% of all Internet Quotes are suspect and the remaining 4% are fiction."
    ~~Abraham Lincoln~~

  3. #3
    Member upinak's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Location
    Alaska
    Posts
    350

    Default

    As many people were complaining about this (doesn't matter if it was political, evironmental or hunters) we all knew this was wrong.

    Charging them is one thing, we all need to wait and see what comes of it.
    No amount of education can help those who want to remain permanently ignorant of facts, which includes those whom have been educated.

  4. #4
    Moderator LuJon's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Location
    Palmer, AK
    Posts
    11,415

    Default

    I for one am glad to see the state do a propper investigation. It sounds as if they organized quite a sting! Too bad for the one kid that he will have to leave the villiage after going states evidence.

  5. #5

  6. #6

    Default

    Good Job to the State Troopers who didn't turn a blind I on this!!!

  7. #7
    New member
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Location
    Marshall
    Posts
    1,975

    Default Class A Misdemeanor...

    Punishment is 6mos jail & or $1000 fine...with the plea bargining that will be going on, I doubt the guys will see 30 days jail & $100 fine...

  8. #8
    Moderator LuJon's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Location
    Palmer, AK
    Posts
    11,415

    Default

    Having never spent time in jail but been sent to places that were not a great deal better I have a feeling that 30 days and a healthy fine would do these lads well. Given their age I would consider them stupid kids, I don't think it should be life ruining but it certainly should be life "altering". I did dumb stuff as a kid albeit never this bad, but heck the President did hard narcotics as a kid which is a FELONY and he is the FRICKIN President!

  9. #9

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by LuJon View Post
    Given their age I would consider them stupid kids, I don't think it should be life ruining but it certainly should be life "altering".
    I'm sorry LuJon, but with 4 of these guys over 25 (25,26,29,30) I would hardly classify them as kids. Any 12 year old would know what they were doing is wrong. I think its funny that people play the age card at times when it benefits them. Like in college, everyone thinks the drinking age should be 18. But when they screw up and get a minor comsumption of alcohol and a DUI charge they say "hey I'm just a kid, I'm supposed to do dumb things." Try them all as the adults they are, which is what is the court is intending to do. To just say they are stupid kids I think is inncorrect. I made mistakes and did dumb stuff in the past as well, but I don't blame it on being young. Just being ignorant. Time for these men to own up if thats what the court decides after hearing all the evidence. I don't know the whole story, and won't claim to place judgement without the whole story, but their young age should not be a factor in the sentencing if found guilty.

  10. #10

    Talking

    So who is going to go sit in on the trial and post up a blow by blow account. It worked real good during the BOG meeting and I think it could do well here. Any of you out west willing to do the deed for the sake of ODD getting the real scoop?
    "96% of all Internet Quotes are suspect and the remaining 4% are fiction."
    ~~Abraham Lincoln~~

  11. #11
    Member upinak's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Location
    Alaska
    Posts
    350

    Default

    **SMACK**

    I think I would rather eat a moose nugget.

    Quote Originally Posted by Akres View Post
    So who is going to go sit in on the trial and post up a blow by blow account. It worked real good during the BOG meeting and I think it could do well here. Any of you out west willing to do the deed for the sake of ODD getting the real scoop?
    No amount of education can help those who want to remain permanently ignorant of facts, which includes those whom have been educated.

  12. #12

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by LuJon View Post
    Having never spent time in jail but been sent to places that were not a great deal better I have a feeling that 30 days and a healthy fine would do these lads well. Given their age I would consider them stupid kids, I don't think it should be life ruining but it certainly should be life "altering". I did dumb stuff as a kid albeit never this bad, but heck the President did hard narcotics as a kid which is a FELONY and he is the FRICKIN President!
    Boy, some of the stuff you're posting here lately makes me wonder what the heck is in the bottled water in Iraq these days.

    Age, isn't an excuse for knowing right and wrong, especially when those charged are in their mid twenties.

    They broke the law, were CAUGHT, nows the time for justice, whatever it it may be, to follow course.

  13. #13

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by gogoalie View Post
    Punishment is 6mos jail & or $1000 fine...with the plea bargining that will be going on, I doubt the guys will see 30 days jail & $100 fine...
    I hope I'm misunderstanding your point.

    I'm sure the villages hurting this winter, would have appreciated the meat.

    The law was broke, and a resource wasted. I'm disappointed that it happened, and I'm disappointed in the "stance" the village took over the incident.

  14. #14
    Member bushrat's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2005
    Location
    Now residing in Fairbanks from the bush
    Posts
    4,363

    Default Thanks AWT

    I would like to thank the Alaska Wildlife Troopers, and in particular Trooper Quist, for taking this investigation to where they could identify some of the possible perpetrators. It was a long, involved process, using some of the most advanced dna work available, and a whole lot of persistence behind the scenes and under the radar.

  15. #15

    Default Seconds

    Me too Bushrat !
    " Americans will never need the 2nd Amendment, until the government tries to take it away."

    On the road of life..... Pot holes keep things interesting !

  16. #16
    New member
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Location
    Marshall
    Posts
    1,975

    Default Upstream...

    maximum punishment for misdemeanors doesn't mean that that is set in stone...I know the justice system very well, & if these guys plea out they'll get reduced sentencing/fines, especially if this is thier first offense...however, should the defendants contest it to a court hearing, I am sure that the prosecution, in this case, will seek maximum sentencing & fines, should they be found guilty, even then it will be up to a judge to sentence them.

  17. #17
    Moderator LuJon's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Location
    Palmer, AK
    Posts
    11,415

    Default

    I guess we all have our different opinions of what would be a reasonable punishment, I certainly think they need to spend plenty of time in the pen, probably need to take a good hit in the wallet too. Justice is an interesting thing. The right amount corrects an abhorrent behavior, too much sets the stage for continued criminal activity. That is all I am saying. Some of you are calling for a slow torturous death, I just want them to receive a punishment that causes them to straighten up and find their moral bearing. Is that not the core of our criminal justice system? The idea that we need to make it impossible for a first time offender (i don't know any of their history) to recover from a bad act is irresponsible! At least in non capitol or sexual assault offenses. For those offenders I would stand beside the rest of you and call for a speedy execution. As for the water, I don't drink it nothing but free gatorade for me! i guess in my military time I knew a lot of people that made big mistakes in their early 20's before joining up and getting their life right. Some of them have been my best troops too! They would have been a total loss to society had they faced a judge that took away all chance for success.

  18. #18

    Question

    Quote Originally Posted by bushrat View Post
    I would like to thank the Alaska Wildlife Troopers, and in particular Trooper Quist, for taking this investigation to where they could identify some of the possible perpetrators. It was a long, involved process, using some of the most advanced dna work available, and a whole lot of persistence behind the scenes and under the radar.
    Curious minds want to know more how one would in fact know of such details going on, in the course of an investigation? Hmmm....how many leaks got out and how much evidence will become inadmissable due to the leaks? You speak of things I have not read nor heard of, so it got me wondering. Are there loose lips, in the field? You speak of "some of the possible perpetrators", are you suggesting deep throat has his eye on more candidates? Exactly how long was the investigation and how long did the DA sit on it, waiting to see what direction to jump?
    "96% of all Internet Quotes are suspect and the remaining 4% are fiction."
    ~~Abraham Lincoln~~

  19. #19

    Default

    Come on man this had so much attention the yardarm was too short.

  20. #20
    Member martentrapper's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Location
    Fairbanks, Ak.
    Posts
    4,191

    Default

    Yea, bushrat, where'd you get that information?



    Quote Originally Posted by Akres View Post
    Curious minds want to know more how one would in fact know of such details going on, in the course of an investigation? Hmmm....how many leaks got out and how much evidence will become inadmissable due to the leaks? You speak of things I have not read nor heard of, so it got me wondering. Are there loose lips, in the field? You speak of "some of the possible perpetrators", are you suggesting deep throat has his eye on more candidates? Exactly how long was the investigation and how long did the DA sit on it, waiting to see what direction to jump?
    I can't help being a lazy, dumb, weekend warrior.......I have a JOB!
    I have less friends now!!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •