Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: What to do with all that meat?

Default What to do with all that meat?

I have not had the pleasure of hunting up here yet but plan to this year. My question is what to do with 1,000 lbs of moose meat. I have never had it but imagine I will like it as I like deer, rabbit, squirrel, etc. My wife however will not eat wild game, nor do I have many friends here that do either. So my question is what can I do with all the extra meat I will have left? I hate to waste any of it, as I don't believe in killing something unless you intend to eat it. I would like to give it to people in need, or to a fellow hunter as a bit of trade I guess. Let me tag along, show me the ropes of hunting moose here, kill our game and give half my meat to them for their trouble. Any suggestions, thanks...

Doug
    Former A.F Staff Sergeant

Your wife will not be able to tell the difference between moose and beef. You'll use it every day. Moose doesn't compare to deer, elk, etc as far as "game" meat.

And you'll have no problems finding buddies to help you dress, pack, and process it all for a share in the bounty.
    Winter is Coming...

Go GeocacheAlaska!

Starving college student.. right here.

Fairbanks most the time, Ancorage some of the time,& on the road Kicking Anti's all the time

well first of all you don't get 1000 lbs of moose meat... you will average 350-500 lbs after it is all boned and butchered.

the average young moose is 850-1000 lbs live weight. the largest we have ever pulled out was a cow... at about 1200 lbs live.. she has been bay far the largest moose i have ever shot.... of 18 now... and of nearly 50 i have butchered. when i turned her in to the butcher ( only because it was 84 deg outside) 3 quarters and spine came to 348 lbs. i figured the 4 foot long head alone at nearly 150.....moose bones are heavy.

All in all by the time it is hung, trimmed and wrapped a moose is not nearly as large as folks think they are. caribou.. 75-150 for a really large one....

I got more meat of an 8 foot grizz last spring for sausage then i have ANY moose yet...

Secondly as in the states there are donation programs avalible...for meat. but not many guys that will hunt horns alone....( though those numbers seem to be growing as we mature as a population)
    "If you are on a continuous search to be offended, you will always find what you are looking for; even when it isn't there."

meet on face book here

Post on here that you have fresh killed moose meat to give away, it wont last long!...grin

Default Big Freezer...

Purchase a 15 cubic foot freezer. Don't get a chest type freezer. Its too hard figuring out what is what, to difficult rotate older suff to the top. Get an upright freezer so you can see what you have and rotate older stuff to the front for use.
    That is what we do with hundreds of pounds of meat.
    Start your lady off with moose burger. Moose berger in chili, in tacos, spaghetti, burgers. Kids will eat anything if dad and mom eat it. Also, and you may not like this suggestion, become the primary cook in your family. Even your lady wil eat more of it if she does not have to cook it.
    I never cooked at all before I became a guide. Now, my clients think I'm a chef while I'm in camp. And my wife is happy she has two less things to do in the evening. Job one is the cooking. Job two is the cleaning up after meals. I still dislike that job.

Dennis
    AK TAGS

Dennis
    AK TAGS

Quote Originally Posted by AlaskaTrueAdventure View Post
    Purchase a 15 cubic foot freezer. Don't get a chest type freezer. Its too hard figuring out what is what, to difficult rotate older suff to the top. Get an upright freezer so you can see what you have and rotate older stuff to the front for use.
    That is what we do with hundreds of pounds of meat.

Dennis
    AK TAGS
    No room for a freezer, that's the problem.

You can store it at my house!

Since you are at Elmendorf, it wouldn't hurt to take several pounds to Alaska Sausage or Indian Valley Meats and have it processed into summer sausages, pepperoni sticks, breakfast sausage, kielbasas and any other specialty meats you like.
    Now what ?

Sorry Doug ya can't trade meat! Not even a kinda trade.

ill take it! oh wait n/m dude, ill already have one by the time you set foot in the woods haha kinda jokin but seriously...7 out of 8 years now ive gotten mine my first trip out usually in mid season....like the first week of september...i tend to hunt areas that other guys overlook and pass by, and i dont roadhunt, i find a moosey lookin location/patch of woods, river bottom, alpine meadow and i always at least see a bull, and where there is one bull, there are sure to be a few more....i can usually find a pal to help... i know a local guy who has his own butcher shop here in anchy....400lbs of moose processed cost me a grand total of $150...yay for friends who butcher and process! 200 lbs of burger, 50lbs of summer sausage, 15 lbs of pepper sticks, and the rest cut into steaks and roasts...I also work for a taxidermy shop if youve a mind for a high quality trophy mount- D&C Expediters and Taxidermy.

Alright I have to chime here. Vince the first moose I shot was over 2000 pound's on the hoof. I've shot over 6 that were over 1500 lbs OTH. Not everbody has a chance to do this and if you don't eat the meat or if your other half dos'nt like to eat it, I say you have 2 choice's.

Look at yourself and ask a question:

Am I out there for the meat? If so then you will take care of it and have no worry's for the winter.

If you know that your family and friends will not eat the meat, line up some people that will before you go hunting.

The one thing that bothered me in your opening statment was when you said you would hate to waste the meat.

It's one thing to go out for the hunting exp. , Its another to go out for a set of horns.

E.S.

Don't understand! You eat the meat or you don't kill it. I thought that was Alaska hunting 101. Must of been here too long.

Quote Originally Posted by Rock_skipper View Post
    Alright I have to chime here. Vince the first moose I shot was over 2000 pound's on the hoof. I've shot over 6 that were over 1500 lbs OTH. Not everbody has a chance to do this and if you don't eat the meat or if your other half dos'nt like to eat it, I say you have 2 choice's.

Look at yourself and ask a question:

Am I out there for the meat? If so then you will take care of it and have no worry's for the winter.

If you know that your family and friends will not eat the meat, line up some people that will before you go hunting.

The one thing that bothered me in your opening statment was when you said you would hate to waste the meat.

It's one thing to go out for the hunting exp. , Its another to go out for a set of horns.

E.S.
    Well I better clear this up right now. I never said I wanted horns, I am trying to find ways to be a responsible hunter here. I will eat some of the meat but realistically I know I will not be able to use or store it all. So what I am trying to do here is find out ways to not waste the meat. Why in the world anyone thinks I am just out to get a trophy I don't know. Thanks for judging me though without even knowing me. Thought I was doing a good thing here.

Must be an Alaskan thing to jump to conclusions and pass judgement quickly too. Maybe some should reread my first post again. Pretty sure I stated I wanted to eat some of the meat and didn't want to waste ANY of it. Yes I'm sure that's what I wrote.

Quote Originally Posted by doug1980 View Post
    Thought I was doing a good thing here.
    Doug - You are doing a good thing here. You're trying to line up what to do with the meat months before the hunt, and that's a great thing. Understand that there have been some very public cases in recent years of hunters wasting large quantities of meat, so that's left a bad taste in the mouth of many hunters. When that happens, it reflects poorly on hunting as a whole, so folks are understandable sensitive about this topic. It's not a judgment on you personally, though. I hope that makes sense.

From my perspective, if you don't have room for a stand-up freezer (they don't take up any more room than a regular refrigerator and can be kept outside), you might want to consider hunting something smaller. Start with black bears (tasty in the spring and in the fall if they've been eating berries) or maybe a caribou. That'll give you a great experience and less meat to deal with. If your heart is absolutely set on moose, find a neighbor family that could use it - maybe a couple with a new child who wasn't able to get out this year. The Food Bank of Alaska also accepts donations of clean, well cared for meat. That's a great option to consider if you don't know anyone personally who wants it. I appreciate that you said you don't want to waste it. Good on you for that, but just to make sure you understand - you are required by law to salvage all edible meat and to remove it from the field. I think you already know that, but in case someone reading does not - meat salvage is a serious law, not an option that we like.

Good luck, and if you need help getting rid of it, I know lots of families that could use meat through my role as a public school teacher.

Default Here's an idea

Take the meat in and have alot of it processed into summer sausages, pepperoni sticks, hunter sticks, teryaki sticks, jerky, wine and cheese and send it to relatives for the holidays and you will be the most loved. And then give me a call, for mine

Terry

Not judging, it was the waste thing I had a problem with. On threads its hard to get the whole story of who you are really talking to. Your history of hunting, how many years you've been at it, and how serious you take the sport. ( or in alot of our case's how you are going to take care of the meat ) But when I hear the waste word it gets my fur up. Doug as far as I know you are probably the best hunter up here, but don't use that word.

Quote Originally Posted by Brian M View Post
    Doug - You are doing a good thing here. You're trying to line up what to do with the meat months before the hunt, and that's a great thing. Understand that there have been some very public cases in recent years of hunters wasting large quantities of meat, so that's left a bad taste in the mouth of many hunters. When that happens, it reflects poorly on hunting as a whole, so folks are understandable sensitive about this topic. It's not a judgment on you personally, though. I hope that makes sense.

From my perspective, if you don't have room for a stand-up freezer (they don't take up any more room than a regular refrigerator and can be kept outside), you might want to consider hunting something smaller. Start with black bears (tasty in the spring and in the fall if they've been eating berries) or maybe a caribou. That'll give you a great experience and less meat to deal with. If your heart is absolutely set on moose, find a neighbor family that could use it - maybe a couple with a new child who wasn't able to get out this year. The Food Bank of Alaska also accepts donations of clean, well cared for meat. That's a great option to consider if you don't know anyone personally who wants it. I appreciate that you said you don't want to waste it. Good on you for that, but just to make sure you understand - you are required by law to salvage all edible meat and to remove it from the field. I think you already know that, but in case someone reading does not - meat salvage is a serious law, not an option that we like.

Good luck, and if you need help getting rid of it, I know lots of families that could use meat through my role as a public school teacher.
    Thank you very much for your reply. Makes sense and very informative. I am still combing through the laws, actually printing out the regs as I type this. I am no newbie to hunting and salvage of meat, to me, is just common sense and the responsible thing to do. I would never kill something I don't intend to use or give to those who could use it. Thanks again Brian that's all I wanted to know.

Quote Originally Posted by Rock_skipper View Post
    Not judging, it was the waste thing I had a problem with. On threads its hard to get the whole story of who you are really talking to. Your history of hunting, how many years you've been at it, and how serious you take the sport. ( or in alot of our case's how you are going to take care of the meat ) But when I hear the waste word it gets my fur up. Doug as far as I know you are probably the best hunter up here, but don't use that word.
    Well not really sure what other word would fit. I just read the ADN article about the 50 or so caribou that was just left to rot and was appauled about it. I never intended on doing that, EVER. I have hunted whitetails that's it. Not much meat so easy to store and use. With the amount of meat on a moose I was a worried I could not use it all so wanted ideas on how to use it up or where I could donate it. So it wouldn't go to "WASTE". Hope that makes sense now.

Oh and thanks for the last line there, but I'm not even close to being the kind of hunter many on here are.

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast