Thread: Trueflight Feathers?

Default Trueflight Feathers?

Howzit everyone, i dont know if this is an old product or what but i came accross the Trueflight Feathers and i was wondering if anybody actually used them before and if anybody did was it a traditional bow or compound and how did they perform. The discription of them make them look awsome but ive never actually seen them in action before.

Here is a link to a discussion about them.
    http://tradgang.com/cgi-bin/ultimate...=071146#000000

Default great feathers

I think Trueflight are one of the best feathers available. Another great choice for good feathers is Gateway. I used both brands in both my recurve and compound, but have switched my compound arrows to blazers. The feathers were working fine, but the blazers are a lot more weather proof.

Jake
    All the romance of trout fishing exists in the mind of the angler and is in no way shared by the fish.

Default What Jake said...

They are the best.Use them with any bow...trad or otherwise.GR

Ditto again, I have found that fresh water foul feathers handle the weather better but only for a short time. I'm found of the 5 inch shield fletched helically and the 5.5 inch shields double stacked for flu flu's.
    BHA Member
    Bowyer to the forces of light in the land of the midnight sun.
    The 3 fold way: Every step we take as we walk through life effects, our family, our comunity and ourselves. One should walk thoughtfuly.

Quote Originally Posted by jakec5253 View Post
    The feathers were working fine, but the blazers are a lot more weather proof.

Jake
    do you say this because the trueflight feathers clump up when they're wet?

Default weather

I never had a problem with the feathers and bad weather, but I didn't really use them outside in bad weather. It was more of a change to prevent problems, rather than a solution to a problem. I am sure there are a lot of people who use feathers year round, and do it without any problems, but I think they would require more attention than I want. I still have a dozen arrows with 4" shield cut Trueflights that I shoot out of my compound at the indoor range, but for the outdoor range, and my hunting arrows, I use the blazers. There are so many options, I don't think you can go wrong with choosing a quality product that shoots well, and that makes you happy.

Jake
    All the romance of trout fishing exists in the mind of the angler and is in no way shared by the fish.

I've used feathers since day one also. Gateway or trueflight difference is little to most.

Talking about water and feathers, yes water will matt feathers down or can. There are precautions you can do..however in a typical bow quiver if you take care of where you are throwing it, they'll be fine. In a back or side quiver they'll be mashed down. I do a couple of things, spray them with rain and stain before a big hunt and carry a couple baby bottle liners, works very well atleast for me. If they do matt down, to what degree, it'll be like shooting your arrows with no feathers at all. They are easy to fix, just steam them over hot water back to shape, nothing you cant do at home or in the field boiling your mt house water...takes only a few seconds.

You can use them till they are quite ragged, they produce more drag then vanes, giving you more control over your arrow. They are not brittle in cold weather, they wont tear or rip into pieces on you like vanes. They can catch on the leading edge and rip off the front end..simple tip, take a screw driver and compress the leading edge, then take a dab of duco or fletchtite doesnt matter and put a dab on either end. The screwdriver deal smooths it out enough the glue keeps anything from pulling the leading edge up.

Try them...you'll likely like them!

Auright, thanks man, i appreciatie it. i think ill try and get some feathers for my next arrows that i get. and does anybody know of a traditional bow building kit? recurve if possible? i want to try and build my own traditional bow.

binghams.....by the sounds of it you should contact three rivers archery and kustom king archery and get a couple catalogs.