Thread: Kids rifle?

Red face Kids rifle?

So here is a question that should keep the key boards going.

I am looking into getting a rifle for a pre-teen girl that is small in size. My thoughts are to get a 30-06 magnaported. It will be a rifle she will use a few years and shared with the younger kid in the future. Anyone out there that has gone through this or can offer some constructive ideas? Caliber of choice (big enough to kill a moose and black bear without dislocating a shoulder), model (light, stainless, short).

I don't have a pre-teen, but I do have a wife that is 5'0" and only weighs just a touch over 100lbs. After talking to lots of people and trying out the fit of various guns, we went with a Remington Model 7 Youth rifle in 7mm-08. I have never been happier with a gun. It fits her perfectly, hardly has any kick at all (there is a nice recoil pad included), and is plenty big enough for sheep, caribou, and black bear. I'd feel comfortable having her take a moose with it as well, as long as we were at fairly close range and I was there to back her up. Besides all of that, the best side effect is that she has been able to learn to shoot properly without having to worry about the kick. She'll probably turn into a better shot than me, as she'll never have to work through a trigger twitch from getting beat up by a large rifle.

I'd check that gun out, but you may also want to look at a youth model 30-06 with reduced recoil rounds. That's a nice option, as you can later move her up to the regular rounds for larger game. For us, though, it came down to fit. The Model 7 Youth is just awesome for a smaller hunter.

-Brian

Thumbs up just my .02

I have put a lot of thought into this. For my wife to shoot and for the kids to learn with as they start into bigger guns.
    EVERYONE will have their own ideas. This is just my thoughts. Dont hammer me on this. LOL

I was thinking of a Remington Model 7 SS in a 7mm-08. 6-1/4 pounds, under 40 inches total length.

http://www.remington.com/products/fi...even_specs.asp

A 30-06, like you mentioned, is always great. note: if you have a muzzle brake installed, you could take it off before you go hunting. Muzzle brakes do a wonderful job of reducing recoil but are extremely LOUD! I have shot a rifle of mine with and without its muzzle brake with no effect on point of impact.

Always glad to see parents getting their kids involved.
    Best of the outdoors!

Red face BM's post

I guess BM and I were posting at the same time. Well put BM.

Why would you take the muzzlebreak off to go hunting?

Exclamation muzzle brake off

So you dont blow your ear drums out. I never really remember a guns recoil when I shoot an animal, but the first and last animal I ever shot with the muzzle brake on (without ear protection) rang my bell for some time. It is so loud it HURTS.
    Last edited by AK4Life; 10-15-2006 at 10:24. Reason: typo

That's interesting, I shoot a 300 and have for some time. I drilled a break into the end of my barrel so it is permanent. You are right, it is very loud as the sound is redirected more towards you than away. I always wear earprotection when shooting targets but have never noticed the sound when caught up in the moment in the field. Much like you say you don't notice the recoil. That is why I had to ask.

Default Guns...

I have the rem youth model 7 7mm.08 rifle. I love it. I am a small frame 5'3" woman and it fits me great. I broke my right shoulder several years ago and it damaged alot of the area where my gun stock sits, but I can shoot it with no problems or fear of a "kick". I cant (wont) use much higher caliber gun for the fear of injuring my shoulder and I dont want to get the "kick/twitch" fears. It is light and easy to pack, easy to get up for a shot and had never given me any problems. I have not had the opportunity to shoot a moose with it yet, but I agree, probably need to be a little closer shot than a 30.06 or something bigger. I have shot a Mt Goat at 300 yrds. with it and I definently would use it for deer/ sheep or black bears (given the right shot). The only thing is I have only been able to find a max of 140 grain bullet. If there is a higher grain, I would love to know where I can find them. All in all i think it would be a great gun. If you like, I would love to let her shoot it if you want. PM me if thats an option....
    Good luck!
    <*)))><

Default Rem. 710 youth

It looks like Remington makes only a 710 youth now and not a 700 youth and only in a 243 (great for deer or such but lacking for the bigger game). Browning makes the a-bolt in a micro hunter with several calibers 243, 7mm-08, 308, 300 wsm, 270wsm, 7mm wsm, 325 wsm. Savage arms also makes a youth and even comes with an adjustable ? muzzle brake in the 243, 7mm-08, and the 308. Are readily available are the 7mm-08 ammo?

Default 710

I wouldn't buy the 710 in any configuration. Neither my shop or my smith will have anything to do with them. Having seen them apart while being repaired I wouldn't buy one. I would Look around and buy the 7 youth or have something better cut down.

reuben....

If you're anywhere near Eagle River, go into Boondock Sporting Goods. They carry the Model 7 Youth in 7mm-08. You may as well bring your daughter along and have her check it out. She'll enjoy it more if she's part of the process.

-Brian

I have to agree with everyone about the 7mm-08. I bought that caliber for my daughters and they have no problem shooting it. My youngest shot her first caribou with it at 215 yards and it was a one shot kill. I managed to find a Styer Mannlicher SBS with the "adjustable stock" it has spacer that can be easily removed and they put back in as they grow.

Default All good input.

I appreciate the input. It all helps. Bringing her along is a great idea. Keep the ideas coming.

If you don't already have it, get yourself a reloading outfit while you are at it. Put together some loads with 120-130 grain bullets at around 2500, then let the fun begin. That's plenty potent for deer, but mild in recoil. With medium or fast powders, it won't be so noisy in a short barrel either.

I went through this with my 8 year old son this past year. He weighed about 75lbs at the time. I bought him a Remington 700 Youth ADL in 270 Win. Started him off with Managed-Recoil ammo from Remington, and slowly made the transition over to regular stuff, and he shoots it extremely well.

Default Rem 7

It looks like the rifle of choice for the smaller hunters is the Rem 7. I'll have to look up the specs for a 7mm-08.

Default hmmm??

Just wondering (you may have answered this question already but I didn't see it)....What is it that she will be hunting with this rifle that you are considering??
    "I hump the wild to take it ALL in.......there is no bag limit on happiness..."

Default kids rifle

She will be hunting most everything but she has chosen a moose for her first big kill. Dad will be there to back her, "if needed".
    My thoughts had been to get a 30-06, let her shoot it for target with light loads and then Dad can get it sighted in with heavy loads for moose. As most of us know, the kick is usually not felt when caught up in the moment of the kill.

The most important part of getting a youth rifle is having a gun that fits the child. Stocks that are too long are very difficult for shooters to get into a good position, and intensify recoil. I've cut several inches off of stocks to fit my kids.

IMHO, a 30-06 is too much gun for a child, even with magnaporting (which is muss less effective than a true muzzlebreak). Also 30-06's are generally too heavy. I'd put another vote in for the 7-08, with a good 140 gr bullet it'll kill any Alaskan game.

After cutting the stock down to fit her, you'll want to start her out with reduced loads. Start out with 100 gr bullets and reduced loads at ~2000 fps and work up from there. The reduced loads have milder recoil and muzzle blast. Muzzle blast is just as great a cause of flinching as the nudge on the shoulder.

You might even want to start her out on a milder centerfire. I had my daughter shoot some mild 110 gr loads from a .308, and she still found them somewhat objectionable. So, I plan to get her a .223 and then work up to the .308 or a 7-08.

Killing game is about proper shot placement, not massive power. Starting kids off with guns they can shoot well is much more important than them having "enough power". Put the time in for her to master shooting a centerfire, and she'll have no problems taking game. I'd also add, put in the time mastering field positions with a 22 rf.