Thread: R Kabin

Thumbs up R Kabin

http://forums.outdoorsdirectory.com/...attach/jpg.gif

We're movin' in this Spring!
    Attached Images Attached Images

That is a real nice cabin, what are the dimensions of it, I'm looking at something of similar design. What did you use for the footings?

Thanks

Default kabin

it's 16x32. I PUT 12 FOOT WALLS IN SO I COULD DROP THE (1/2)LOFT FLOOR 3 1/2 FEET & HAVE PLENTY OF HEAD ROOM. EVERY THING IS ON 16" CENTERS, SO IT'S PRETTY STURDY. USED 6X6 TREATED FOR SUPPORTS(3 IN CENTER & 5 DOWN EACH SIDE ON 8' CENTERS) & WRAPED THEM WITH HEAVY PLY PLASTIC & SET THEM 4 1/2' IN THE GROUND ON TOP OF 2"X8"DIA. CONCRETE "WAFERS". IT'S SET FOR 4 YEARS NOW & NEVER MOVED. COURSE I HAD MY DOSE OF SKEPTICS, BUT THEY WERE PROVED WRONG. CROSS BRACING CORNERS IS A MUST. MY WIFE SAY'S I BUILT IT THAT WAY CAUSE I'M TALL, BUT I LIKE "HEADROOM" AND I HAVE PLENTY OF ROOM FOR MY "CRITTERS". I'M AN IRONWORKER BY TRADE, SO IT TURNED OUT PRETTY GOOD DOING IT MYSELF (& MY WIFE), SAVING LOTS OF $$$$. A FEW PLUSES BUILDING IT THIS WAY.WHEN I CLEAN THE STOVE (WHICH I MADE) OF ASHES, I SIMPLY OPEN THE TRAP ON THE UNDERSIDE OF STOVE & SCRAPE THE ASHES DOWN A 3" CHUTE THROUGH THE FLOOR ARRIVING IN A 55 GALLON DRUM UNDER THE CABIN.DON'T KNOW HOW LONG IT WILL TAKE TO FILL YET. THE ONLY WAY BEARS CAN GET IN IS THROUGH THE FRONT WHICH WE "BOARD UP" IN BEGINNING OF WINTER. DON'T HAVE TO WORRY ABOUT "CRITTERS" LIVING UNDER YOUR CABIN WHERE YOU CAN'T GET TO. THIS SPRING WERE BUILDING A SHED NEXT TO CABIN FOR SHOWER& LAUNDRY ETC.WE HAVE PLENTY OF WHITE SPRUCE TO GO THE LOG ROUTE, BUT I CONVINCED MY WIFE IT'S TOO LABOR INTENSIVE. BESIDES, WE'LL NEVER HAVE TO HAUL FIREWOOD.

Talking Are you pulling...

our leg? That cabin is 16 wide?Looking at the door and knowing it is 3', I would of guessed no more than 14'.Nice looking cabin.What area are you folks in?GR

Default r kabin

must be the way i took the pic. but it's definitely 16x32. we are in unit 11. LS

Default Well and pump?

Quote Originally Posted by cabinfields View Post
    must be the way i took the pic. but it's definitely 16x32. we are in unit 11. LS

Is that a well I see? What kind of pump do you in there and what is the power source?

Default pump

had the well drilled last sept. hook'n it up this spring. 6" casing at 42'. 18+gal./min. putting in 4"goulds with honda gen.

Absolutely beautiful. I'm jelous.

Thanks for the info, how did you go insulating the floor and if you don't mind can you share how you have vented the cabin. I would be grateful to hear of you shower shed plans also.

I would like to do a simliar set up but looking at 16x20 with a loft area 16x24, 4 feet of over hang on the porch. I would also like to add another 4 feet of roof over a porch to have 6 feet of covered porch. Not sure about the loft floor being larger as it will probably cost more than just building the whole cabin 16x24. April is my budget month to figure out what I can do with what I have. I'm also looking at contracting the foundation portion if I can find someone to do it, there is already another cabin on the property but instead of throwing money at it (20+ years old) and only 12x16' I would like to put something up, septic, well (drilled), gas and power all to property so that has to account for some savings??

Default kabin

floor(2x12) on 16" centers +1 1/8 t&g plywood, has sprayed foam $$ insulation. used 2x8 in roof with 2" r-tech board flush inside with foil side down. that gave me roughly 4+ inches for air movement. 2-2" louvers per 16" center(96 in all), plus end vents and the roof "breathes" really well so far. roof itself is 7/16 osb with #30 paper and tin. LS

Default Sure a sweet setup....

...thinking about that fine well, wondering if you might want to put in an elevated storage tank, then you could pump a lot of water in a short time, then use gravity feed to the house so you didn't have to run the generator a lot...

Default well

WE have a 250 gal. poly tank for the shower,sink, wringer/washer aka "water shed". also, we are mounting a 500 gal. poly tank on top of our garage "aka" connex box which will have a 1 1/2 pump for garden,fires, inflatable jaquzzi etc.

used 2x8 in roof with 2" r-tech board flush inside with foil side down. that gave me roughly 4+ inches for air movement.
    What r-value does this give you? Is this a special blueboard with foil/mylar face?

Default Insulation

It's sold at home depot/lowes. 2" r-tech foam board. Used 4'x8' sheets & cut them to fit snug between the rafters. I'm not savy about r-value, but it seems to work good. I think it's(r-value) is printed on the "panels. Ls