Thread: New Line

Default New Line

I'm re-stringing some reels for my Homer boat. I mostly use downriggers for trolling. I was thinking about trying some braid. Anyone with suggestions, pros, cons. These are Ambassador 7000's.

Trolling/baitcaster style reels correct? I would use some pretty big braid in that case A while ago my father had many problems with braided line burying under itself on baitcasters. The main problem was he was using 20lb braid (6-8lb diameter) and the bigger baitcasting gear couldn't handle it being so small diameter. He upped that to 40-50lb braid and has been real been happy with it. Just remember to match up the line diameter with what you normally use for mono. If you use 20lb test mono normally, get 20lb diameter braid which will be around 40-50lb test (actually they have hollow braid that is 20lb diameter and 80lb test!).

I use Power Pro on one of my reels and I like it. Very very very sensitive, I can feel a very light jig touch the bottom surprisingly easy. Low memory line and so far it's stood up to trees, logs, rocks, and even pick teeth and gill plates without much issue. My girl uses Suffix brand and I might have to try it next, she's had 0 problems with it.

For sensitivity and solid hook sets, I'm sold on braided line!

As far as trolling goes, I can't give much insight on that aspect, I spend most of my time casting to the shores instead of trolling.

Charterboat Operator

Quote Originally Posted by Homertime View Post
    I'm re-stringing some reels for my Homer boat. I mostly use downriggers for trolling. I was thinking about trying some braid. Anyone with suggestions, pros, cons. These are Ambassador 7000's.
    try one first!
    I tried tuff line and Berkly Power Pro, on my downrigger rods a couple of years ago, had terible line retention in the clips. I was using Scotty line clips, and tried a couple of the cannon ones. constantly popping off. dont have the problem with 30 pound p-line at all. hopefully someone has come up with a clip that will hold the braid, or possibly a newere braid that will hold in one of the standard clips.
    let me know what you come up with as i would love to switch back myself, much less chance for line breakage, specifically with non-experienced anglers.
    PB

Thanks for the input guys. Polebender, I never thought of that. I use Cannon clips. I have 30# mono on from last year. I haven't had a problem with popping out, but sometimes it takes a time or two to find the right spot in the clip to hold it. I have always changed out my mono yearly. Does braid have a longer life span? I guess trying one would be the smarter way to go.

Quote Originally Posted by POLE BENDER View Post
    try one first!
    I tried tuff line and Berkly Power Pro, on my downrigger rods a couple of years ago, had terible line retention in the clips. I was using Scotty line clips, and tried a couple of the cannon ones. constantly popping off. dont have the problem with 30 pound p-line at all. hopefully someone has come up with a clip that will hold the braid, or possibly a newere braid that will hold in one of the standard clips.
    let me know what you come up with as i would love to switch back myself, much less chance for line breakage, specifically with non-experienced anglers.
    PB
    Yep, the stuff is pretty slippery and does not work very well with downrigger releases. I use offshore releases and bury the line deep but it slips out very easily. If you are down rigging and want to use braid run a 50' to 75' top shot of mono and clip onto that.
    Braid works well with Dipsey Divers, Jet Planers or other divers though.

I find the braid does last a lot longer than mono especially if it's kept out of the elements when not in use.

I use Sufix braid in 65 lb. for bottom fishing and Sufix mono in 14lb. for the downriggers. We haven`t had any line failures with the mono and works better in the clips for sure. Like was mentioned earlier you can get the offshore clips that can be ratcheted down tight on the line for better results with braids. I just think mono gives a better feel for those initial shocks from downrigging...it`s probably the reason why we landed every take-down last summer (over 100).

I would recommend Power Pro or Spiderwire. I detest Fireline. It packs on the spool real tight and eats away at your eyelets on your rods. Doesn't feel as smooth or sensative as Spiderwire IMO.
    "Ya can't stop a bad guy with a middle finger and a bag of quarters!!!!"- Ted Nugent.