Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Ranger Rollover

Default Ranger Rollover

Hi,

I have a question on the stability of the 4x4 polaris ranger and would like the opinions of those who've driven them.

I'm in the military and sometimes we use these vehicles on duty. Just recently two soldiers were riding together when the vehicle rolled over and crushed the passengers leg breaking it. From the drivers story I'm not so certain that it is possible for this vehicle to have rolled over given the conditions. The driver was inexperienced with this type of equipment-it was his first time driving it. It was dark out and the ground in the area was bumpy with some ruts maybe 8 inches deep at best. The driver claims that he was driving 5 -8 mph (speed limit in the area is 5 mph) and that he cranked the wheel of the Ranger completely to the left to make a sharp left hand turn when the front right tire entered an unseen rut. The driver says he instinctively slamed on the brakes but that the momentum of the Ranger continued forward causing it to slowly roll onto its side. The driver says that the passenger stuck his right leg outside of the vehicle as it leaned over (perhaps to attempt to push the vehicle back upright) but that the vehicle continued over and the frame (near the floor boards) crushed his leg just above the boot. The driver says they were both wearing their seatbelts and that he unbuckled his, ran around the vehicle and lifted it off his buddy. I know that the Ranger has a very shape turning angle and that it accelerates rapidly-maybe unexpectedly for a first time driver. Does this story pan out in any ones experience? Just so you know this is for my information only, not to be used for any disciplinary action of course.

Default ranger stability

Sounds like the typical answer someone would give when they have screwed up in the military. (i should know, i have given the same ones a few times) . i own a ranger and it is about the most stable atv i have ever ridden. I have went over many a huge hole with one tire in it and driven away unscathed. They are 60" wide. Very hard to roll. The weight of them makes them fairly slow to accelerate too.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Does that Ranger have 4/6 wheel engine braking? I can't seem to find out anywhere.
    A gun is like a parachute. If you need one, and donít have one, youíll probably never need one again

I agree Rangers are hard to roll. We use one at bear camp and one we have to side hill and the passenger can just about just reach and touch the ground at spots. Doesnt even feel like its gonna go over.

I'm a fairly new owner of a Ranger but I would agree that doesn't sound quite right. I have had mine since July and put about 55 hours on it so far. I have found it to be very stable, and almost unstoppable.
    Brian
    -----
    '85 Honda Goldwing
    '92 Yamaha Venture XL
    '00 Polaris Sport Touring
    '06 Polaris Ranger 700XP SE
    -Too many guns to list here

Default engine braking

if you are asking about the one in the pic....NO. it doesn't have engine braking. i guess that could be the down side of them, but i have had no problems towing close to 1000 lbs down some big hills as long as i keep one foot on the brakes and one on the gas keeping the clutch engaged.

I rolled my old Kawasaki 400 Bayou over on it's side one time on a slight sidehill situation. My left front tire dropped in a slight rut just as I ran over a stump in the grass with my right tire. I was amazed to all of a sudden be tipping over with one of the most stable machines I have ever ridden. This is a standard quad and not a Ranger but in can happen.

Default tip over

I have had my old ranger in places that made me instinctively want to bail out and it has never come over. Shoot, this weekend I was pulling logs out of the woods and had to cross a two foot deep trench a few times and it never came over. At one point I chickened out because I only had 3 of the 6 tires on the ground. For those of you who are familiar with the Rex trail and the deep ruts from the track rigs, I had a full 55 gallon drum of gas standing up in the back with most of the camp gear and I scared the crap out of the folks when a tire slipped over the edge and it tilted over into the rut. Never even hinted it was going over and I just continued to drive out at an angle. Granted the 4x4 version will give a little more with the all independent suspension, but it sounds to me like someone isn't admiting they screwed up.

Default engine braking

Quote Originally Posted by Snyd View Post
    Does that Ranger have 4/6 wheel engine braking? I can't seem to find out anywhere.

Imo don't put engine braking on a ranger. Been there. The machine is a lot heavier than a four wheeler and you lose too much of the low ratio in your clutches to make it worth having. It also worked too good. I never had to touch the brakes. When I let off the gas it would throw me into the wheel. After a couple smoked belts and failed attempts to adjust it I removed the whole system and went back to the original clutching. Now I have tons of low range and no more burnt belt smell.

Thanks, good to hear some first hand experience.
    A gun is like a parachute. If you need one, and donít have one, youíll probably never need one again

Default polaris ranger rollover

My six-seat polaris ranger rolled over yesterday at a standing start. My wife attempted to backup, and the sensitive throttle lurched the ranger backward, causing her to slip forward with her weight on the throttle. The wheels were turned, and the polaris made two lightening-quick tight circles. I was just reaching to fasten my seatbelt when the lurching polaris flung me outside the vehicle. I quickly jumped out of the way as the polaris rolled. This is the most powerful version of the ranger, with the biggest wheelbase. Anyone who says they are hard to roll is a fool. Best treat these with care, they will roll easily!

there is not an ATV anywhere that wont go over when put in reverse and flooring it with the wheel cranked to the side. The ranger is very stable when run within it's envelope but when asked to do things like full power reverse donuts (intentionally or unintentionally) bad things will happen!

As to the original poster. I would suggest in the accident report adding a response on how to avoid this in the future that you look at adding 1/2 doors to the ranger as a way to improve safety. These are fairly big heavy machines. All occupants would have been fine had they kept their body parts inside the roll cage and allow it to do it's job of protecting them. The 1/2 door will keep them from being able to "instinctively" putting a leg out to "catch" themselves.

I have had my 4x4 ranger for almost 5 years now and it has never been on it's side. I have run this machine in some nasty stuff with lots of side hills. That being said, the archilles heel of these is sudden decceleration while turning sharp. The machine yaws and rolls forward and to the side pretty hard. I have not seen one roll all the way over but have seen them tip. The biggest hazard is for the passenger if they are not seatbelted in. The force throws them out. You have to be pretty strong to stop that momentum.

Good point by Lujon. For one, anything can roll over, and for two, on the Rangers or any heavy atv, DO NOT attempt to stop it from rolling on it's side with your legs and arms. That is one of the critical things we talk about when trail riding. Just hold on tight, keep your arms and legs inside, and let it sit on it's side. Now, if your going to roll down a mountain side, you might consider a quick and early exit strategy!
    Experience Real Alaska! www.alpinecreeklodge.com

Rangers come with side netting. If used it will keep parts inside the cab. I don't know about a regular 4X4 Ranger stability, as I have a 6X6. It is about as stable as anything I have ever been on and in. Sounds like that kid was going a LOT faster than 5 or 6 MPH......
    Now just why in the hell do I have to press "1" for English???

I rolled my 6x6 going about 2 mph. Of course I went up an icy incline and slid to the side (about 2') until I hit dry ground. The momentum along with a slight side hill was enough to tip it over. Good thing we had seatbelts on, safety nets in place etc. or my son might have over reacted and gotten hurt. Wasn't a fun expirience hanging from a seatbelt that I couldn't get myself out of but nobody got hurt. Fortunately my son was with me as I could have never tipped it back upright without him. All that said they are an amazing machine and won't tip without having done something stupid. Of course that goes with any machine.

If you add the wheel spacers they give you a little more stability also, not that it needs much more. I think mine are 1-1/2" wide to clear the oversize tires from everything.

Be sure to carry a snatch block with ya too. These make it great for getting a ranger back on its feet. Tie the snatch block off to a tree and hook your winch up to the roll cage. We use this trick when we have tire issues that require pulling the wheel off.

Really, anything is possible depending on the specific circumstances. I have had my 6x6 for 9 years and in places that friends have said, "please stop" let me get out and I'll watch. Then say holly crap, I would never have tried that... But then I have also slide and then stopped and tip it on its side, but I was able push it back over. The passenger did what most all do when tipping. Stick there feet out. A friend of mine has a ranger 4x4 and is basically as stable as mine but not 1 for 1. In general as the others say, these are very stable machines but not invincible.
    Tony

Quote Originally Posted by AKBighorn View Post
    I rolled my 6x6 going about 2 mph. Of course I went up an icy incline and slid to the side (about 2') until I hit dry ground. The momentum along with a slight side hill was enough to tip it over. Good thing we had seatbelts on, safety nets in place etc. or my son might have over reacted and gotten hurt. Wasn't a fun expirience hanging from a seatbelt that I couldn't get myself out of but nobody got hurt. Fortunately my son was with me as I could have never tipped it back upright without him. All that said they are an amazing machine and won't tip without having done something stupid. Of course that goes with any machine.
    Yup, stupid, my friend LOL
    2003 220 Hewescraft Sea Runner 115 Yam'y, Soft Top "Schmidt Happens"

the polaris rzr will tip over at the drop of a hat.
    Semper Fi!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast