Thread: Question for the ages...

Default Question for the ages...

I have a buddy that cannot legally hunt brown bear this year. But I want him to come out and help me if/when I get one this spring(he has great skill for skinning). Would this be legal or would that be bad to have him come out after the kill?

Default Take him with you

It is not illegal in the state of Alaska to be outdoors. You can take anyone outdoors with you. He can be with you while in the field. Have him film and take pictures for you. He can be around while you harvest a bear. He can carry the bear out for you also.

You did not mention he was your transporter or anything so he is good to go.

By all means take your bud with you for both your and his sake. He can even be you're gun bearer. There is no law restricting him from walking around Alaska with a gun. Matter of fact, it is highly encouraged, to do so. It will give him the sense of actually hunting and you will just be helping him out, right.
    He could also be your ammo bearer and man o man, it sure helps to have someone around that likes to lug out bear hides. Seriously you and he are good to go.
    "96% of all Internet Quotes are suspect and the remaining 4% are fiction."
    ~~Abraham Lincoln~~

Let's complicate it a little. Can his friend back him up.....? Say Dirtface pulls his shot and gut shoots the bear, can his buddy shoot the wounded bear...?

What if dirtface's firearm malfunctions, after the bad shot.....?

Or my favorite "Got'ya" the guide for whom it is illegal to shoot game for the client, however he insists on shooting brown bears one split second after the client shoots. So the plant, (undercover hunter) with his own video cameraman, deliberately shoots high or low, as seen on film, the guide shoots.......the guide just poached a bear and broke the guide law, on camera.

Fairbanks most the time, Ancorage some of the time,& on the road Kicking Anti's all the time

Here is an email i sent to a F&G officer i know... he will get back to me soon i am sure... and will let you know his responce. He is one of the more level headed officers i have met and respect his oppinion.

Vince

Mr. **************.. I was wondering would you answer a question posed to me.

As a F&G officer. You come across a group of hunters who for all intensive purposes are legit with tags and licenses… except one. A NON Resident unable to hunt is along for the ride and the experience. Has neither license nor tag. ( or perhaps another person whom has filled tags earlier in the year. And no longer able to fill a tag).

Is it acceptable for these folks to have a fire arm along with them? What is the process you as the Officer would take to verify this person was not hunting, or was just along for the enjoyment of it. Is there anything that would preclude another person accompanying a hunter in the field? One whom was unable to hunt? Would this person need proof of anything?

Would you or another officer site them for being armed in the appearance of a hunting operation? (for instance In heavy bear country) while being without a current license, tag?

The general argument is that there is nothing to prevent a person from enjoying the outdoors, nor is it illegal for that person to possess a firearm if legal to do so…. Hence the question posed… what would F&G make of this situation? And would it cause a problem in the field.

Thanks
    "If you are on a continuous search to be offended, you will always find what you are looking for; even when it isn't there."

meet on face book here

Quote Originally Posted by Hopeak View Post
    Let's complicate it a little. Can his friend back him up.....? Say Dirtface pulls his shot and gut shoots the bear, can his buddy shoot the wounded bear...?

What if dirtface's firearm malfunctions, after the bad shot.....?

Or my favorite "Got'ya" the guide for whom it is illegal to shoot game for the client, however he insists on shooting brown bears one split second after the client shoots. So the plant, (undercover hunter) with his own video cameraman, deliberately shoots high or low, as seen on film, the guide shoots.......the guide just poached a bear and broke the guide law, on camera.
    IMO, the guide has no business taking a shot a split second after the client unless their collective buts were in iminate danger. A guide should wait until he sees the results of the clients shot before he makes a "backup" shot and give the client every opportubity to make the kill safely.

Now having said, I have made a backup shot on an antelope and a deer after the friends I was hunting with wounded these critters and they were galloping off to never-never land. This was not technically legal in the state (which shall remain unidentified) that I was hunting in. I decided very quickly to shoot the critters to avoid the possibility of a multiple mile tracking experience and subsequent pack out or even loosing the animal altogether. I feel that I followed the *spirit* of the law, in that it was not my *intent* to "partyhunt" or bag the other guys critter for him, and that I prevented the possible loss of a wounded animal.

JM $.03

Default bear hunter

Vince,

I asked that exact question to the wildlife officer in Kodiak 2 years ago before going there because I thought I might have a friend from Colorado come up and go with me. They said he could do everything except fire first. Turned out the guy didn't come because he didn't feel like he was in shape to go and didn't want to hold me back.

Randy

Default Thanks for the info

He is just coming out to help with the skinning. Won't even be there for the stalk or shot. He is disabled and can't really move around to freely. But has great skill in preping a hide for the taxidermies. And he really wants to come out for that part. There will be two other of us to take the bear. Thanks again.

Default similar question

I had a similar question for the wildlife guys here in FB, my niece was coming up with a boyfriend during my sheep hunt and they decided they'd like to tag along last year. She is/was eligible to hunt with me but he wasn't legal to hunt sheep unguided. The wildlife folks told me in short he could go along and even carry a rifle but could not assist me in any way stalking, identifing legal rams, or shooting an animal. He could help packing before and after, skinning and butchering the animal, etc as long as he didn't actively contribute to the hunt.

B