Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Rosin or rubber cement on rings?

Default Rosin or rubber cement on rings?

I will soon be mounting a scope on my .338 Mag and was looking for advice on what I should apply to the inside of the rings to help insure that the scope remains solidly in place once mounted. I have no experience with rosin at all, and have only tried using rubber/multi-purpose cement once. I was disappointed with the small amount of cement that actually remained in the rings and further diappointed by how little if any helf it seemed to give. Are their other additives out their? Which of these two would you recommend? etc. Thanks.

I would recommend nothing at all, just clean dry mettle to mettle without any goop at all.

Andy

Default Never used anything

I have never used anything inside the rings. I make sure there is no lubricate on the inside surfaces and that they are properly tightened. If you are using good quality rings, there should be no problem.

Default TRY liquid electrical tape

Clean the scope and the bases with denatured alcohol then apply a drop of liquid electrical tape to the bottom base then place the scope and apply another drop to the scope before mounting the top half ! tighten the screws and wipe off anything that squirts out !Kevin

You should not have to use any extra adhesive. All scope rings are made to hold your scope in place.

If your scope is moving with your current set-up; I have two suggestions that could fix the problem.

Check the scope and ring diameter to ensure they are the same. The two most common sixes are 1 inch and 30mm. It is very hard to actually tell the difference unless the two different sizes are next to each other. I only use 30mm stuff myself.

Second possible fix is to lap your scope rings. Get the appropriate size doll rod and put a metallic rubbing compound on your rings. Push the doll rod back and forth. You should start to see a wear patteren where your rings are not exactly straight. You can readjust your rings or continue smoothing/lapping the rings to ensure they are completely round/smooth. You can also buy a scope lapping kit online. The kit is a metal round lapping tool with a handle.

Good luck, and let us know what you came up with.

What brand of rings are you using? I've never had a scope slip, either installed dry in aluminum rings (Talley Lightweight, leupold rifleman), or with the ID of steel rings lightly greased with RIG (leupold, ruger, weaver).

If you are going to use anything the rosin will work outstanding. It will not hurt anything and will clean off later if you ever feel the need. I use it on my 50s and no scope movement what so ever. Now with that being said I have never needed to use it on any of my smaller calibers 338 or 375. Hope this helps.
    J
    Henry Bowman for President

SwampView AK, Overlooking Mt. Mckinley and Points Beyond.

The only scope I ever had slip on me was on my 338.

A 338 does recoil some, it wouldn't hurt to use something on the rings.

(You can use Shellac.)

Smitty of the North
    Walk Slow, and Drink a Lotta Water.
    Has it ever occurred to you, that Nothing ever occurs to God? Adrien Rodgers.
    You can't out-give God.

Lap. Align. Rubber cement.

If that doesn't hold, get different rings.

First just use quality rings and your set. If you had an issue just use very thin paper as a sim top and bottom. No rubber cemment please and paper gasket has great friction but the real answer is metal to metal by a set of quality rings. Leupold, Talley, Warne.

I have only had one scope slip on me, but I want to make sure that this one doesn't. I'm using quiality rings and bases, Leupold PRW rings and QRW bases (steel picatinny style). I have tried using mulit-purpose cement made for metal ( I assume this would be a lot like rubber cement), but wasn't impressed with it. Very little actually remained in the rings once the scope was tighted down, and what little did remain, dind't seem to do much of a bonding job. I would like to give rosin a try. Does anyone know of a place in Anchorage that sells it. I have looked around but haven't found any yet. I see MidwayUSA online sells half a pound for $13, but I only need a small amount (half a pound would last me several life times). Thanks for the help.

I use Warne on near everything, Talley on my .375 Weatherby and Leupold on my .500 A-Square. A properly mounted scope won't slip. I should add I lap all my rings too.
    Great spirits have always found violent opposition from mediocre minds. The latter cannot understand it when a man does not thoughtlessly submit to hereditary prejudices but honestly and courageously uses his intelligence. Albert Einstein

Better living through chemistry (I'm a chemist)

You can piddle with the puppies, or run with the wolves...

I've never used anything on my scopes, even on .458 Lott and the scopes never move. As others have said, degrease everything and clamp it down evenly. It's not going anywhere.

The other thing you can use is Indian Head Gasket Shellac found at most auto parts stores. Same principle as rosin. Works like a charm.

a scope mounting system can't overcome the forces of nature (physics), and so with a "hard kicker" mount a lightweight scope. this will reduce the weight which is the culprit with a moving scope.

don't be in a hurry to smear some wondergoop in your rings, as it just isn't necessary and may affect the scope tube under compression.

others have suggested lapping the rings, which is a good idea. before you do that though, look to the bottom of your rings (with the scope inside) and make sure they "bottom out". this is generally a ring adjustment that will save your rings from unnessary work.

my .358 norma with heavy bullets kicks about as hard as a .375,and my scope is rock solid.
    happy trails.
    jh

It would be nice to not use anything in the rings, and I never have on any of my smaller caliber rifles. But while the recoil of the .338 mag is less than the .375 H&H for example, it is a sharper recoil than a lot of the larger caliber rifles. It's this sharper recoil that tends to have the largest impact on the static friction of the scope in the rings, and make it more likely to move in a .338 mag. rather than a .375 H&H or .458 Lott for example.
    Does anyone know if the rubber cement is something different than a multi-purpose cement (which claimed to bond metal)? With that Indian Head Gasket Shellac, do you just paint it on into the inside of the rings and then position the scope in the rings and clamp it down? Thanks for the help.

With the shellac just rub some on the rings and a dab or two on the scope. A little goes a long way. It only needs a thin film.

I canít imagine any rifle having more recoil than my S&W 460mag and the scope stays put on my 460V just fine without any kind of goop. The gun has enough recoil to unseat crimped bullets if they are not crimped just right but the scope has not moved in about 200 rounds.

Andy

SwampView AK, Overlooking Mt. Mckinley and Points Beyond.

Quote Originally Posted by pinehavensredrocket View Post
    don't be in a hurry to smear some wondergoop in your rings, as it just isn't necessary and may affect the scope tube under compression.
    Just because it isn't necessary, every time, doesn't mean that it's not desirable, as a precaution.

It would take a lotta "wondergoop", to compress the scope tube. That seems unlikely.

Compressing the "tube" would more likely occur from over-tightening the rings, to keep it from slipping.

Smitty of the North
    Walk Slow, and Drink a Lotta Water.
    Has it ever occurred to you, that Nothing ever occurs to God? Adrien Rodgers.
    You can't out-give God.

Quote Originally Posted by Smitty of the North View Post
    Just because it isn't necessary, every time, doesn't mean that it's not desirable, as a precaution.

It would take a lotta "wondergoop", to compress the scope tube. That seems unlikely.

Compressing the "tube" would more likely occur from over-tightening the rings, to keep it from slipping.

Smitty of the North
    hi smitty; not so..........just overlube your cases for resizing and watch what happens. the torx (or even allenhead) screws provide enough squeeze to dent the scope tube. this is compounded when the rings are not aligned properly. after this happens scope adjustments may be faulty or non functional.

call a major scope mfg and ask for customer service, this type of damage requires a new tube to correct.
    happy trails.
    jh

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast