Thread: Salting Question

Default Salting Question

I am out in St. Paul and I have 4 foxes down. I skinned, fleshed, and salted two of them when I ran out out salt. The other two I skinned and are out in the snow. The only salt I have available to me here is Morton Iodized, Kosher salt, and Morton table salt. I know I cant use the iodized so will either of the other two work? Also, anyone have any fleshing tricks after a hide has been frozen? Thanks

salt is salt as long as it is not iodized, I have used the kosher salt before with no problems. as far as the fleshing goes generally the fresher the skin the easier it is to flesh, no tricks that I know of, just keep at it.

Salt is not nessary for prime pelts, and lowers the value.

Quote Originally Posted by andrew cochran View Post
    Salt is not nessary for prime pelts, and lowers the value.
    He probably doesn't have a stretcher so he needs to dry the pelt for tanning. Salting it will preserve it until it gets to the tannery.

CG,
    take a spoon and get all of the fat and meat off the leather until it's all gone, then salt, let it drain, salt, let it drain....... repeat until it's dry.

I am new to preserving pelts so here is what I did. After tube skinning the foxes i hung them on a board and used a hack saw blade to flesh them. I got as much meat off the face as possible and did not turn the ears or split the lips. I then salted the hides and put them on a homemade stretcher that a co-worker of mine had brought along on the deployment. I was told salting sets the hair and putting the hide on the stretcher opens the "pours" whatever that means. I appreciate your input as I am not 100% sure i am doing this right. It has been between about 5 days since I completed them and they are solid and the hair appears to be holding. It will be about another week before i get them sent off to the tannery. Thanks again!!