Thread: bonded solids, tsx, or grand slam for bear

Default bonded solids, tsx, or grand slam for bear

I am going to make some grizzly stoppers. I shot my 300WM in front of one this fall to get him away from camp and decided as I stared in his eyes, I want a 338 WM. I got the browning x bolt (nice rifle) I am going to make some loads just for defensive bear rounds. All you hero bear killers up North in the alders should know what is the best for stoppin bear. I would think the 250 grain Barnes TSX would be good because it would penetrate heavily and open a channel. My buddy from AK says shoot the 250 barnes bonded solid, and I know that people have used the 250 speer grand slam on big bears for years.
    Anybody with some good advice I would appreciate it.

I think your buddy is confused.

I don't believe Barnes makes a bonded bullet at all, solid or other wise. The do make a banded solid bronze bullet for deep penetration on elephant and such but you don't want a solid non expanding bullet for bears. I think with the choices you gave the 250 grain TSX would be fine. The Speer grand slam is a tough bullet but I think the TSX would be a better performer. I would certainly stay with the 250 grain in the 338 but would also consider the the Swift A-frame, a bonded partition type bullet and I know it will work very well in the 338 Win Mag.

I think Woodleigh and Kodiak make the only bonded solids and they are very thick jackets bonded to a lead core.
    Is there nothing so sacred on this earth that you aren't willing to kill or die for?

Quote Originally Posted by sheepeater View Post
    I am going to make some grizzly stoppers. I shot my 300WM in front of one this fall to get him away from camp and decided as I stared in his eyes, I want a 338 WM.
    Yep, I took quite a bit of ridicule when I bought my .375 H&H for my heavy rifle. But without exception, every person I've ever talked to who's had an encounter up close and personal with a big brownie or grizzly has told me that they wished they had something heavier than their .30-06/7mm mag/etc. I think there's a big difference in putting a bullet through a bear's heart and lungs at 200 yards vs. trying to drop one immediately that's standing 25 feet away.

I think you'll be very happy with a .338 WM and a good load with the TSX.

Mike

Penetration is the name of the game with the TSX. If your rifle shoots them well then a 250 gr. TSX will get the job done if you do your part.

Thanks guys, I appreciate the info. Murphy you're right it is a banded not a bonded bullet. I had to look it up.
    I'll load some 250 TSX. And Mike T I really like this 338. My dad has always said a good shooting big gun is better than a good shooting little gun. This thing shoots real well.
    th

Thumbs up love that 250 X bullet....

My .338 Win. Mag. shoots the 250 gr. X bullet at about 2660 MV. I have been using the old style 250 gr. X bullet since they hit the market. It has blown through 1 brown bear, a couple of black bears, several moose and caribou. The only critter it did not give a complete pass through on was a moose shot just beside the tail as it was running away. The range on that was about 200 yards. I know of no other expanding bullet in .338 caliber that will out penetrate it. Maybe there is, I just have not heard of it. For me, it is about the best big bear load going for a .338 Win. Mag.

Thanks 338 mag. I appreciate it.

Default Barnes

Yes, Barnes does make solids, they are not bonded but called "banded solids". Not very many have been recovered on African game. The ones that have can be reloaded, how's that for recycling? I have some 300 grain ones for my 375 but have not played with them yet. I don't know how they may be to possibly mix and match them in your magazine like African hunters do. They claim that they will shoot to the same point of impact as the triple shock bullets to I believe 100 yds. I think that would be pretty cool but I don't know if they're necessary for bears. They will shoot lengthwise through a buffalo. I'm sure someone out there has experience with these and I'd like to know what they've found.

Default 338 Win Mag for self defence

In the situation that you have mensioned(close distances,charging Bear,self defence bullet ...) I would reconsider use of Trophy Bonded Bear Claw and Swift A-Frame.
    TSX is a great bullet,but for this mission,my choice would be TBBC.

Quote Originally Posted by Gameon375 View Post
    Yes, Barnes does make solids, they are not bonded but called "banded solids". Not very many have been recovered on African game. The ones that have can be reloaded, how's that for recycling? I have some 300 grain ones for my 375 but have not played with them yet. I don't know how they may be to possibly mix and match them in your magazine like African hunters do. They claim that they will shoot to the same point of impact as the triple shock bullets to I believe 100 yds. I think that would be pretty cool but I don't know if they're necessary for bears. They will shoot lengthwise through a buffalo. I'm sure someone out there has experience with these and I'd like to know what they've found.
    I've loaded 300 grain tsx and 300 grain barnes banded solids in my .375 for buffalo and they shoot identically. Many African guides no longer recomend solids because the tsx penetrate so well. I don't think I'd mention the spear's in the same breath as tsx. A frames, North Forks, and maybe a few others yes, but spear no.

Brett

Right on, I'm glad to hear that is true. It isn't on the top of the list but I will load some up to play with at the range. I do realize these aren't necessary for most things but I already have a box, so I have no choice. They will at least look nice in Norma premium brass! Thanks for the info!