Thread: Nephew's First Hare

Talking Nephew's First Hare

Finally! I've been trying to get my nephew onto his first hare for a while now. Crunchy snow, skittish hares, and schedules have all worked against us until now. We finally found a spot with ample numbers of hares and no competition from other hunters. It was a beautiful day - single digit temps and windy, but beautiful. His .22 that he has practiced with was locked up in his house that we didn't have a key for this morning, so he got to try out a .410 for the first time. He missed the first 3 hares that he tried to shoot, likely due to a combination of not being used to the gun, nerves, and jumpy hares. On the 4th try, though, he finally connected. He missed the first shot at this particular one, but after it hopped just a few feet up to some brushy cover he tried again. (Actually, at this point I thought the hare was gone. I told him so, but he kept telling me that he still saw it. To be perfectly honest, I didn't believe him - but I didn't see any harm in letting him shoot again.) Imagine my surprise - bang! - and the ball of white fur came rolling down the hill. Man, my nephew about came unglued he was so excited. This kid has been through some rough stuff over the past few years with his mother going through constant cancer treatment among other trials that no kid should have to face. I think all of that made this experience just a little sweeter. He was genuinely happy - and that made me genuinely happy as well. A lot of gas burned, a few weekend days given up, but this picture? Priceless.

Man that looks like the spot I gave out last year. Love to see the info go to good use. some times I wander if the info a give on here gos to people that do more abuse then use of it. I took my daughter there a few weeks back and she got one also. Congratulate you nephew for me. I remember my first rabbit; I to shot it with my uncle near Hidden lake on the Kenai almost 30 years ago. There are some things you forget over time this moment is not one of them.

Default Congrats

Congratulations little man! i glad you guys could finally get one! good job! keep up the good work!

dave - Actually, I don't think it's the same spot...unless I don't recall the place you shared. I'm very careful not to overpublicize such spots. There are a few great little holes that should be saved for the young hunters. Regardless of whether this is your spot or not, consider my mouth zipped.

Thumbs up very cool, brian!

glad you guys finally connected.
    hope he has a great time on your bear hunt this spring, too!
    Alaska Board of Game 2015 tour... "Kicking the can down the road"
    http://www.alaskabackcountryhunters.org/

Quote Originally Posted by homerdave View Post
    hope he has a great time on your bear hunt this spring, too!
    Oh, I imagine that he will, Dave. Even as we were cleaning the hare we were talking about shot placement on bears. We spent a half hour looking through bear pictures on Google the other night talking about when to shoot, where to shoot, why quartering away shots are better than quartering towards, etc. As we were driving home tonight he was asking all sorts of questions about bear behavior and such. It should be fun!

the spot is not as important as his first rabbit. But, I can till by the photo that is a spot where I go a lot. You know near Hurricane gulch. (Wink, Wink)

hurricane gulch huh? <run for the atlas>!! lol
    congrats brian and the nephew thats awesome!! i know theres some honey holes out there for rabbits that should be taken easy on.
    Talked with a lodge owner this year, he had a family come out and shoot 24 one day, then a boy scout group came out and shot 50 and had so much fun they did it again the next weekend...he said you could tell the rabbits had been hit hard after that. i did the trip and seen 2. Its nice to see guys exercise some self control with little places like where you were that make or break the jump start for young hunters! congrats again!!! does hurricane have on R or two??
    Www.blackriverhunting.com
    Master guide 212

Default Very Cool

Great to get him out, Brian. Well done.

So did he eat any of the meat yet, and what'd he think? Part of the adventure comes after the fact in learning to skin, butcher, and especially cook it up different ways. We sure love hare, good eating.
    Congrats to your nephew, bet he'll find that .22 is a bit harder to get them with than the shotgun.

Mark - We'll be cooking it up tonight. He did help me skin it, though, and we talked a lot about the anatomy and such as we did so. As for the .22 vs. the .410, he's actually a much better shot with his .22. I am convinced he would have gotten at least 3 or 4 if he had his .22. It's an issue of practice and familarity, I think, as he has done a ton of plinking with his .22 but was unfamiliar with how the .410 shoots.

Jordan ate his last night with cream of mushroom gravy over white rice. I have never seen him eat so much. Next time we will fry it. Brian, hope your nephew enjoys it as much as Jordan did.
    The only thing worse than a Subaru is the as*hole who drives it.