Thread: What was up with Seward Beach silvers last year?

Default What was up with Seward Beach silvers last year?

does anyone have any opinions or theorys or reports about seward beach silvers last fall? seems like they never showed up...went on a 6 hour wildlife cruise and never saw one jumper....really want to know what happened....worst year i can remember...also whittier silvers too, throw some reports/opinions about that place too...thanks

Just a bad year all around for the salmon....
    Fingers are crossed this year will be better
    Living the Alaskan Dream
    Gary Keller
    Anchorage, AK

Default Seward silvers

Yep, been going and camping and fishing the whole month of august for many years.
    I don't beach fish but enjoy watching the snaggers. Last year was the worst for trolling and hardly any on the beach. Colder Pacific? Dont have an answer, just hoping it was an off year.

I think this is a good question and one F & G would like to answer as well. Whittier was dead every time I went there, and I almost always load up in the fall there. I don't know if they ever showed in good numbers, and if they did it was way later then normal. Same sort of pattern as Seward from what I heard.

On the other hand, Valdez seemed to get a pretty good number. It might have been off from good years but it was still the best fishing I found all summer. It's odd since geographically Valdez and Whittier aren't all that far apart...you'd think the fish would be in the same currents.

I noticed that there wasn`t much going on in the bay but thought it was just me. I did pick up limits trolling outside the bay but saw no jumpers or major boat activity in the bay. The year prior I trolled in the bay for the most part and did very well for silvers.

Default Silvers

If you recall we had two big storms that came through about the time that the peak should have been, it may have pushed them back out. It seemed to affect both PWS and Seward.

Yeah, that's true. I wonder how much of an effect the weather on the surface has with the fish down below. One theory is that it may not have necessarily been a bad year, but a much more scattered one. Typically they ball up pretty good, but maybe the commotion at the surface disrupts that?

Talked to a property owner over in Seward that has a place with a creek flowing through it. On a normal year he can walk his property and see thirty or forty silvers spawning in the various holes along his place not to mention the coho that he sees while they are just passing thru. Last year he saw a grand total of four silvers and not a single one spawned along the area by his property. Not a good sign for the native fish.

The floods in recent years did not help much as I remember going over to help move his stuff to higher grounds and seeing silvers swimming down the road (This was like three or four years ago).

From all reports the hatchery fish did not fare very good in the Bay or over at Whittier either. But coho numbers were down across most of Alaska last year with real low returns in many locations in Southeast.

How many years is it for the Seward silver spawn-return cycle?

i believe its 2 years in the salt, 1 in the fresh? i used to go with my dad and we'd fill our freezer for the winter by snaggin silvers off the beach, 3 days meant 36 silvers between the 2 of us...we usually fished along the sandy beach next to the rock wall dike, or in the harbor near the south boat launch, and pick up limits within an hour or 2...sometimes we'd take our boat down and if the trollin wasnt very productive inside the bay, we'd snag in front of lowell creek culverts or the waterfall...one time i hooked a huge king at the waterfall, took me 30 minutes to get him in and it weighed i think 50 lbs, fairly fresh......was one of favorite times of the year, and i never had a better time with dad....like to get him back up here this year to join me on the nushagak river moose hunt at my buddies river camp.

During the fall, juvenile coho may travel miles before locating off-channel habitat where they pass the winter free of floods. Some fish leave fresh water in the spring and rear in brackish estuarine ponds and then migrate back into fresh water in the fall. They spend one to three winters in streams and may spend up to five winters in lakes before migrating to the sea as smolt. Time at sea varies. Some males (called jacks) mature and return after only 6 months at sea at a length of about 12 inches, while most fish stay 18 months before returning as full size adults. Little is known of the ocean migrations of coho salmon. High seas tagging shows that maturing Southeast Alaska coho move northward throughout the spring and appear to concentrate in the central Gulf of Alaska in June. They later disperse towards shore and migrate along the shoreline until they reach their stream of origin (Alaska Wildlife Notebook- ADFG)

Thanks....