Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: mechanical broadhead question

Default mechanical broadhead question

hey everyone, well my question is can you legally hunt all game in alaska now with a mechanical broadhead? the reason why i am asking is because while i am deployed in iraq i have been watching alot of hunting videos and one of them has a guy shooting moose and grizzly with a mechanical broadhead. the regs say no, does anyone have an explanation. the name of the video is alaskan big game volume II.

Default It is not legal for Brown Bear and Moose

I need to watch the video and see. I have it in my collection but I never paid that close of attention to it. I will let you know what I can dig up.

Default name of movie

the guy takes both brown bear and moose with a mechanical broadhead. the name of movies is jack brittinghams untimate hunting for alaskan big game volume 1 and 2.

Question Jack Brittingham!(sp?)

The name of the guy is Jack Brittingham, and the vids are Alaskan Big Game Hunting both 1 and 2. He even comments about the type of broad head he uses, and how he likes it in one of the video's. Cant remember which one. I think he was hunting by Lake Illiamna though. I'm anxious to find out the answer too, as I have been over here for over a year now also................ But come to think of it, even if the law has changed in the last year, his video would be older than that, and he would in turn have broken said law if that is the case. Take care..............
    Be safe, and enjoy your time outdoors!
    Mountain Man

"I'm not here for a long time! I'm here for a good time!!!!!!!!!!!"

Default Illegal

Better watch the video carefully. It is illegal to use a mechanical broadhead on moose and brown bears. If you look carefully you "might" see that he is using a 75 grain Wasp broadhead. I think this issue was brought up before somewhere and investigated. He was legal.

The law has not changed. For larger animals a cut-on-impact broadhead is best because of the thicker skin and hair. Try a Magnus Stinger 2-blade. Excellent head, flys great and fully guarrenteed.
    "Never again shall one generation of Veterans abandon another".
    Vietnam - June 70 - Feb. 72
    Cancer from Agent Orange - Aug. 25th 2012
    Cancer Survivor - Dec. 14th 2012

Default Broadhead (Expandable WASP)

Its the first hunt on Volume 2 and its definetly an expandable WASP broadhead. They even do a closeup of the broadhead and move one of the blades back after the shot and show how the retaining rubber as they call it pushed all the way back to the fletching.

Default Story

This is an excerpt from Jack's story on the bear. I have not seen the video but as I stated before, it was investigated and he is the world record holder according to P&Y.

"More time passed, and the huge animal rolled onto his stomach with his forelegs stretched out in front of him exposing the heart and lung area completely. No shot opportunity could have been better! Almost immediately, I was coming to full draw with my 84 pound Bowtech Tech 29. As my arrow slid silently up the Trophy Ridge arrow rest, I glanced at the tiny Wasp Boss Bullet fixed three blade broadhead. With only a one inch cutting diameter, I was aware my hit would need to be perfect. I settled my thumb into the back of my neck and allowed my eye to center itself in the peep sight. As I found my thirty and forty yard pins, I used them to bracket the location behind the bear's shoulder where I wanted the arrow to go. Unlike a shot at a deer or some other hooved game, I took extra care to make sure my shot would be perfect. I had no desire to have to follow this beast into the alders after a bad hit."

Default weren't they legal..once upon a time?

I'd have to look at the vid date but wasn't there a time when mech's were legal? Coulda been before there was a rule. If you've watched all of his vids you can tell there are some years between hunts.

Default i watched it carefully

hey Dave I watched it carefully and it was a mechanical broadhead staight up even showed close up on arrow after the shot. What other type equipment leaves a rubber O ring wrapped around fletching after the shot? Regardless, if he was cleared great good for him. I just thought it would make for an interesting conversation. I guess it all depends on the year of the kill and current law. anyhow thanks for the replies makes life here in Bahgdad Iraq a bit more interesting.

Default Hunt

The hunt was in 2004, Illimina, if I remember correctly from the P&Y information. Which means an expandable would have not been legal. The troopers do read these forums so now they know about the film.

Default two different kill shots

I believe the world record entry and the one shot with the mechanical are two different bears. Same outfitter, same area but two bears nonetheless. I believe the first bear was killed illegally (if representations in the video are true), but don't know if it was investigated by AK St. Troopers. I do know that the pictures that he shows in the P&Y record book look very much like the one in the video (same hat, same clothes, same background, same poses). It all looks like it should be checked out by troopers. I already notified the Pope and Young club Records Chairman (Glenn Hisey) that this occurred, but don't know if any action was taken. I never thought to notify the troopers. Maybe it should be brought to their attention as well?

Default Mech broadhead

Ken,

Let us know what you hear back from the P&Y president. I was curious about the use of the mech broadhead when I watched the video a couple months ago myself. What ever broadhead was used it sure did the trick, I don't think I would use one for brown bears even if it was legal though.

Default Investigation

I talked to Glenn Hisey at the Pope & Young museum last winter when I was home for Christmas. He said they were investigating Brittingham's world record bear and the use of a mechanical after several complaints. I haven't heard anything about it since then.

On a side note, my brother in law who was at the museum with me brought it up on Bowsite.com. He was banned the next day. Apparently Brittingham is a sponser of Bowsite. They let him view Bowsite 6 months later but he is still barred from posting.

I hope Jack isn't sponsering this site as well.

Default Not the first time

It will not be the first time that something like this has happened. Two - three years ago two hunters shot a record bear but the trophy was disallowed because they drove an ATV through a salmon stream. In doing so they violated an Alaskan law and the trophy was removed from the books.

You would think that "IF" he did use a mechanical, that the guide would have known better and would have informed his client of the law.

This is going to get interesting.

Default mechanicals

Keep us posted on this, fellas....I would like to know the true story on this one.

Btw, I don't think Brittingham has anything to do with this site (sponsorship)...

I too saw and own the video and IT IS a mechanical broadhead, without any shadow of a doubt and he even opens up the blades and shows the o-ring retainer that holds the blades in the forward position. So I dont know why theres any questions about it, all F&G has to do is watch the video?

Does he have the video out showing the 2004 P/Y record?

Default thats crazy being banned

Wow a guy actually got banned for an open discussion because the other guy was a sponsor. Unbelievable huh. Well i guess if i get banned from this site we will know why. The really wild thing is he not only took brown bear, he shot some moose to and dont know for sure but willing to say used the same type of mechanicl broadhead which is illegal on moose also. I know, i use the same thunderhead 125's for the past 10 years. Well not he exact one but same type.
    Seems like being taken out of the record book is a minimum punishment for breaking the law, especially if he did it numerous times. Wonder what would happen to the average hunter if he got caught doing the same thing? I know the haul road well the whole state are real strict and at times extremely harsh for the hunter who bent the law either knowingly or by accident. Its just crazy i guess. Does anyone know what a maximum punishment could be if he was found guilty one one or multiple counts?
    On a lighter note I hope everyones hunting season went well or is going well. Mine was surgically removed by the president when he extended us in Iraq. Oh well always next year.
    keep the commments comming makes for interesting reading when i return from patrolling beautiful downtown Bahgdad(the pearl of the middle east NOT)

The bear in the video and the P and Y World Record bear are two different animals. The video Alaskan Big Game Hunting 1 and 2 show him shooting the brown bear with a mechanical. I wonder if they were legal back when he killed the one on this video.

I have no idea what he used for the World Record?

Default Questioning

The question of when mechanicals were legal is being researched right now. I might have an answer tommorrow for you guys. You will just have to be in suspense till then.

Try sharpening some broadheads tonight to releave the tension. Works for me!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast