Thread: Aerocraft

kenaikid

Default Aerocraft

I just picked up a nice old 17 foot aerocraft square stern,and cant find much info about the company. Was woundern if you all know when they gave it up,and if some of yous have or owned one.Is looks pretty stout i'd say weighs close to 100 lbs and is 36'' wide at the beam ,two seats,six ribs and 3 cross bars & about 12.5 inches deep in the center. It has some dents and a few creases in her but i'll try and work them out , and give it a coat of paint.
    Take care K.K

Default Browing Aerocraft

1946 Aerocraft C 17, 17' Aero Craft, was a leading post-World War II producer of aluminum. Aero-craft evolved into Browning-Aerocraft, Thunderbird products, Signa, and Thompson Boat Co. til about the year of 2000 according to the internet. The C-17 FT canoe had super strength with handling ease with the rigid extruded aluminum design. Beam 37 in., Depth 13 in., approx wt. 78 lbs., weight capacity 1060 lbs., max rating, 5 h.p.

Sounds like they were sold out and bought twice.
    Not sure if any of the original designs were kept with the company purchases, but it looks like it was a going concern post world war II
    I found some on Ebay,, so I know they are still out there..
    Max
    When you come to a fork in the trail, take it!

Rentals for Canoes, Kayaks, Rafts, boats serving the Kenai canoe trail system and the Kenai river for over 15 years. www.alaskacanoetrips.com

kenaikid

Quote Originally Posted by Alaskacanoe View Post
    1946 Aerocraft C 17, 17' Aero Craft, was a leading post-World War II producer of aluminum. Aero-craft evolved into Browning-Aerocraft, Thunderbird products, Signa, and Thompson Boat Co. til about the year of 2000 according to the internet. The C-17 FT canoe had super strength with handling ease with the rigid extruded aluminum design. Beam 37 in., Depth 13 in., approx wt. 78 lbs., weight capacity 1060 lbs., max rating, 5 h.p.

Sounds like they were sold out and bought twice.
    Not sure if any of the original designs were kept with the company purchases, but it looks like it was a going concern post world war II
    I found some on Ebay,, so I know they are still out there..
    Max
    Thanx Max .
    K.K

Had one back in the 50s & 60s....a good solid aluminum canoe....seemed comparable to Grumman at the time.....