Thread: New Bow following shoulder surgery

Default New Bow following shoulder surgery

I recently had a rotator cuff and SLAP tear repair done 5-months ago. I have many more months before I can expect to pull 65lbs again. I am back up to 20 lbs in dead draw weight but am concerned about being able to get my bow pulled from initial draw at 65lbs to camover. It's an older PSE Fire Flight round wheel.

Is there a bow out there that starts at a lower inital weight then gradually approaches the users draw weight then camover? I need to get the thing moving to get other muscles in assisting the draw.

It's hard to explain but I did the best I could. It sucks getting older and have the body strings break.

You are not up here yet are you? I had shoulder surgery on the left, the one holding the bow. Regardless if you are uphere go over to Archer's Den on Eagle River and talk to Paul. He's retired Army, which I forgive him for, and tell him what you need and let him give you some ideas. You can also email him, he sponsors this site anad can be contacted through the web site or give him a call.

look into martin's line of bows...they are one of the few if not the only company that I know of that offers 15lb range on their limbs.. most only offer 10lbs of range... you can buy a bow that goes from 45-60lbs or 50-65lbs...I've shot a few different bows and now I shoot their's exclusively...they're moderately priced, fast smooth cams to draw.

Bill S / Frogman77,

Thanks for the input. Once I get there, I'll go to Eagle River and see him. I'll also look into that line of bow Frogman.

Hey I hit 30 lbs this morning. Of course I was shaking like a tree in a fall wind but I was glad to graduate to a higher weight.

Slow and easy ought to get me back into the 60's.

Thanks again guys.

slow and steady is key, don't over due it too quickly. 60lbs on any modern day bow will kill anything in north america. That's all I shoot now and I have a short draw length at 27.5" Good cam system fast and forgiving you'll be good to go!

retired, has your PT given you rubber bands with different strengths to help you gain back your arm strength? That could also help with your drawing at certain lbs.

Newer Bows are nice, but getting strength back in your arm without hurting yourself again is key.
    No amount of education can help those who want to remain permanently ignorant of facts, which includes those whom have been educated.

UPINAK & Frogman,

I am going easy with the arm and I do have the bands. I've been going to the gym and pulling the cable lift system. I can set the height the same as if I were holding a bow and do a straight pull to the cheek with a wrist band similar to a release.

I'm training the muscles for the task.

I abandoned the PT therapist. Not involved and uninformative. I can accomplish the same progress on my own.

Find another PT. Don't do it all on your own... there are exercises that the better ones can give you for mobility later.

Quote Originally Posted by Retired2017 View Post
    UPINAK & Frogman,

I am going easy with the arm and I do have the bands. I've been going to the gym and pulling the cable lift system. I can set the height the same as if I were holding a bow and do a straight pull to the cheek with a wrist band similar to a release.

I'm training the muscles for the task.

I abandoned the PT therapist. Not involved and uninformative. I can accomplish the same progress on my own.
    No amount of education can help those who want to remain permanently ignorant of facts, which includes those whom have been educated.

UPINAK,

I don't mean to get off on a rabbit trail with this thread but when I was there last, I remember the total arrow weight being over 400 grains. Can you give me the fish and game's lowest authorized weight and length? I'll be getting a new bow and if I buy before coming up in November, I'd rather buy the arrows right the first time.

Retired

Quote Originally Posted by upinak View Post
    Find another PT. Don't do it all on your own... there are exercises that the better ones can give you for mobility later.

8 years in the medical field as a ICU nurse specializing in trauma and neurovascular care. Personally broken at least 2 bones in every skeletal group of my body including my spine. And I have had to go through more PT than anyone else I know. Upinak is giving you some very good advice, find another therapist, one you can work with, it will save you months if not years of pain, suffering and limited mobility. There are 2 reasons I can sheep hunt today, an excellent therapist and my spinal surgeon said I never would again.(I'm just a touch bull headed)
    BHA Member
    Bowyer to the forces of light in the land of the midnight sun.
    The 3 fold way: Every step we take as we walk through life effects, our family, our comunity and ourselves. One should walk thoughtfuly.

You might look into getting a 40-50# recurve/longbow to do some therapy with. It will keep you drawing a fair amount of weight smoothly and you can push yourself as you feel capable. Once your shoulder is agreeable to the trad gear, then jump back to the wheel bow.
    AKmud
    http://i78.photobucket.com/albums/j96/AKmud/213700RMK1-1.jpg

The porcupine is a peacful animal yet God still thought it necessary to give him quills....

RickP,

Man! What did you do? drive your sled into a tree? 2 bones in ever group...I feel much better after reading your message.

Rick, yeah I know. I had 3 herniated disks (someone tried to sit on me as I was picking up 80 lbs) so I had a PT and Chiropractors for over 6 months... as I never wanted Back Surgury and I am doing well now. But I would never wish what happened to you on anyone. Good luck and keep a moving!

Quote Originally Posted by Rick P View Post
    8 years in the medical field as a ICU nurse specializing in trauma and neurovascular care. Personally broken at least 2 bones in every skeletal group of my body including my spine. And I have had to go through more PT than anyone else I know. Upinak is giving you some very good advice, find another therapist, one you can work with, it will save you months if not years of pain, suffering and limited mobility. There are 2 reasons I can sheep hunt today, an excellent therapist and my spinal surgeon said I never would again.(I'm just a touch bull headed)