Thread: Cook Inlet Water Temps

Default Cook Inlet Water Temps

Does anyone have any info on current or recent water temps in Kachemak and Cook Inlet. I'd heard a rumor that the water is a little warmer than last year due to more "normal" currents in the GOA. A NOAA website shows today's surface temp at Seldovia as 36.3 farenheit, and 37.8 in Kodiak. Doesn't sound very warm to me. I'm wondering if these are more normal, will they maybe improve the early season king and halibut fishing.
    "The Gods do not subtract from the allotted span of men's lives the hours spent in fishing" Assyrian Tablet 2000 B.C.

I believe the entire north pacific is colder this year due to La Nina as well as the shift in the pacific decadal ocilation
    I choose to fly fish, not because its easy, but because its hard.

Last year the water was supposedly much colder than normal. I can't prove it but that was the theory going around.
    "Ya can't stop a bad guy with a middle finger and a bag of quarters!!!!"- Ted Nugent.

Quote Originally Posted by pike_palace View Post
    Last year the water was supposedly much colder than normal. I can't prove it but that was the theory going around.
    Yes, from what I understand it's been colder than normal for a couple years...just hoping for a reverse in the trend!
    "The Gods do not subtract from the allotted span of men's lives the hours spent in fishing" Assyrian Tablet 2000 B.C.

Where I was fishing last year it was about 3 degrees colder then normal.
    Living the Alaskan Dream
    Gary Keller
    Anchorage, AK

Smile what, colder!

I think I read where Andy from Crackerjack said Seward waters were colder then normal last yeart. I could be wrong. What does it all mean, ya got me. I thought that globe trotting, fossil fuel burning Al Gore said we were having global warming! I was in Homer today, the water looked plenty cold. Just kidding, I would be interested in knowing how a few degrees difference in water temperature effects fish.

google north pacific decadal oscillation its gonna be cold for a while
    I choose to fly fish, not because its easy, but because its hard.

http://pafc.arh.noaa.gov/ice.php?img=sst

This isn't very detailed, but you'll get an idea of general sea surface temps.